Close

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrfytr998 View Post

I really had no intention of responding back to this issue, but Gondorians reply above was pretty insulting to my intelligence and the intelligence of other posters. "Help us get big, so we can fix something later that was pointed out now."
    I'm sorry you were pretty insulted by my comment. There was no intention to insult anyone. I stand by what I already said in the various posts I made in this thread, which were much longer than that misquote because this is actually a very complex issue which I tried to address as best I could.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Willing to steal Blizzard art.

Unwilling to mimic Blizzards buisness model.

Oh dat Wulven.

Seriously though, rationalize all you want guys. I just hope the artists got something out of it.
    Considering how many threads there are related to the topic its obvious your customers care. Id suggest new art but you already ordered production on those physical cards. Reminds me, after the giant 50% off and BOGO deals you must be rolling in the phys profits yes? Keep focusing on that dated business model, up to date card art stolen from other companies is sure to fix everything. Keep up the good work!
    Misanthropy is the general hatred, distrust or disdain of the human species or human race. The word's origin is from Greek words μῖσος (misos, "hatred") and ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos, "man, human").

“I expect nothing of man, and disown the race. The only folly is expecting what is never attained; man is most contemptible when compared with his own pretensions. It is better to laugh at man from outside the universe, than to weep for him within.”
    ― H.P. Lovecraft

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    Sorry, I thought I'd posted somewhere on this thread (but it was actually tman's latest thread with constructive criticism on SF art) that the SF artwork is not going to be locked down until the set is ready to print, as has been done with previous sets.

Then Kyle has also shown on this thread that he's listening and willing to make improvements to SF art.
    Kyle has shown the exact opposite of a willingness to change. after numerous sources of feedback tell him a) what's wrong, b) how it can be fixed, and c) why it is bad for the game's image, he retorts with "hey, it's just a rod with an owl on it. who cares?"

looking back to the thread i began about deathwing being the art for that urigon card, he shows the same attitude; "hey, blizzard can't patent a dragon!" and "let's just remove the wings. then it can't be deathwing, right? lol"

your company action doesn't say "we're willing to change", it says "we're going to do the absolute minimum possible work to stop people from complaining too loudly. and sometimes not even that." not to mention that this thread is just as constructive as tman's thread, but since it's overwhelmingly negative criticism, you push and shove every step of the way.

constructive criticism is a two way street: you need to take the positive with the negative and use it all to make your product the best it could be. cherry picking all the good things people have to say about your product, while ignoring or resisting the negative, just gives you a bad image.

With regards your friend, it would be useful feedback to find out why he dropped the game almost immediately, if you are able to. If he really dropped due to a couple of artworks then that's a shame for him to miss such a great game because of that, but that's his call to make. Shadow Era suffers too, of course, because we lost a customer, so the final SF artwork will need to give loads of reasons to stick with the game and hopefully none to drop it!
    like i said, i don't know why he didn't care for it. i know the art wasn't the only reason, and it probably wasn't really the biggest reason; he just seemed to be disinterested with the game as a whole. i'm just letting you know that he was able to pick out art used from other sources, and the following conversation went something like this:

"Hey, Ekoz! did you see this?"
    "See what?"
    "There's a blood elf in this game!"
    "Oh yeah, i think this game uses some WoW stuff or something"
    "That's pretty dumb."
    he saw it as gimmicky and i can bet it didn't help paint the game in a good light. so saying "we'll change it when the game becomes big and popular" is totally glazing over the fact that using these arts may harm its ability to becomes big and popular.
    Last edited by Ekoz; 08-20-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    85-Card mini-set: Gate of the Steelbound.

So you want to take a poll? ∙ Affectionate TVTransvestite TwinRacist CowBag of Dicks

The pen is mightier than the sword, but actions speak louder than words.
    Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts.
    Sometimes a little chaos is in order.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Then Kyle has also shown on this thread that he's listening and willing to make improvements to SF art.
    Omg, my sides...

I respect you for always being straight up and open. The reason the community sees you as the go-to guy about issues is for the same reason. Kyle does not have this reputation and has never shown an open willingness to change. All I see in his posts are sarcasm, deflecting humor, updates on GenCon and physical cards, and the newly famous 'who cares its an owl and here are other owls to show how dumb we all are for caring.'

Stay neutral andplease dont try to spoonfeed us obvious garbage. We are smarter than that.

To misquote a good line:
    Think Big
    Act Big
    Get Big

You are attempting:
    Get Big
    Act Big
    Think Big

What in the name of all that is logical are you all thinking?
    On release this game was flamed for being a copy of another game. (surprise, it was a blizzard game)
    Fast forward
    Now you have hearthstone to deal with. (another blizz game)
    So instead of trying to seperate yourself from blizzard by being unique what do you do?
    You use Blizzard artwork?

What does this say about Wulven?
    That you immediately declare HS the superior product and feel the best chance of success is to look exactly like it. You are even deviating from the classic look to give us the same fisher price arena crap HS uses.

Does Wulven really want a reputation for being the cheap knock off? Do you understand that 3 of the 5 top game reviewers mentioned Wulvens cloning in their reviews? Do you understand you can never get big if you stand in Blizzards shadow?

Maybe Im alone but I would be happy with stick figures in a well balanced and smooth running game. At least then it would be unique to you. Instead the focus is and always will be on the look of the game and not playability.

Im done here, Ill repeat all this again when the next thread pops up about the same thing we have gone over EVERY SINGLE EXPANSION.

Ps. No garbage replies about the cost of hiring an artist or using original artwork. The world is full of freelance artists willing to work for very little. Put up a contest for digital property and I would submit serveral pieces for you to consider or use. Id even sign over ownership like I do in tattoo design. I also know Im not the only artist here. But hey, its just an owl and Im an idiot for caring right?
    Last edited by Misanthropic; 08-20-2014 at 09:29 PM.
    Misanthropy is the general hatred, distrust or disdain of the human species or human race. The word's origin is from Greek words μῖσος (misos, "hatred") and ἄνθρωπος (anthrōpos, "man, human").

“I expect nothing of man, and disown the race. The only folly is expecting what is never attained; man is most contemptible when compared with his own pretensions. It is better to laugh at man from outside the universe, than to weep for him within.”
    ― H.P. Lovecraft

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    this is relevant. please read Substantial Similarity

from my understanding, if ever Blizzard pursues a case, Kyle would lose.

this isn't really our problem. it's Kyle's. so let's leave him to decide what's best for his game. it's his ass anyway.
    Last edited by Jao; 08-20-2014 at 09:27 PM.
    Want to Join A1?

A1: Evolution in Theory. To stop evolving is to die.

It is one of my greatest hopes that in the future, mankind achieves enlightenment so high we would not need rules, laws, or government to keep the peace and govern ourselves. By our own motivation and volition, we would do what is right and just because it is right and just. This is the central tenet of anarchy. Not chaos and lawlessness, but free will and self-actualization.

Visit my blog: Potpourri

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jao View Post
    this is relevant. please read Substantial Similarity

from my understanding, if ever Blizzard pursues a case, Kyle would lose.

this isn't really our problem. it's Kyle's. so let's leave him to decide what's best for his game. it's his ass anyway.
    A good place to end the thread, I think. Thanks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    tl;dr: We were informed that these artworks we licensed were too similar to existing IP so they will be changed so that this is not the case.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

More Plagiarism :D

Haven't posted in a long time but I thought I'd show you guys yet another example of SE using art from other games.

Thunderstone Golem is Stormherald Eljrrin.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8493/8...93baeddd6f.jpg
    GMT +13
    IGN: Exterminans
    Champion of Shadow Era for New Zealand
    Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdrJmXzISs

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    LOL , well.. its close haha

Nice to see you posting tho ! Stay near
    IN GAME NAME : A1 Ragosonos

A1's BRUTAL MINOTAUR

Ultimately proud EX-member of A1 leadership

My famous 320+ rated builds :

rag-ajiya
    meta destruction threbin
    competitive blood fang
    zhanna control
    banebow control

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome back Twio! I hope your return wasn't just to be a troll!

All of the artwork in Shadow Era is paid for and licensed. Every artist draws on a number of sources for reference and inspiration. In cases where we feel that the art is too close to established characters in other games, we request that the artist make changes. However, in this case I don't think they are too similar. What does everyone else think?