Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Anti-Matter in Meltdown

Been playing a lot of Meltdown lately and would love to hear what people think of 'Anti-matter' in this format.

Personally I find card draw very important but this card just doesn't quite cut it. The 3 CC to activate is so steep and comes far to late at a point where you might already have lost board control and the game. Since meltdown can be played with a 30 card deck which you will have most of the time. I find the draw 2 discard 1 mechanic also quite painful as it's far easier to run out of cards.

Opinions? Is this card worth putting in?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by skasian View Post
    Been playing a lot of Meltdown lately and would love to hear what people think of 'Anti-matter' in this format.

Personally I find card draw very important but this card just doesn't quite cut it. The 3 CC to activate is so steep and comes far to late at a point where you might already have lost board control and the game. Since meltdown can be played with a 30 card deck which you will have most of the time. I find the draw 2 discard 1 mechanic also quite painful as it's far easier to run out of cards.

Opinions? Is this card worth putting in?
    Antimatter without a deck built around it is as mediocre a draw engine as it was in Dark Prophecies. It's still better than nothing (which is why many elemental decks in DP still used it), but in a 30 card deck, you may mill yourself, so you need to use it sparingly if at all.
    IGN: ETC BobRoss
    "BobRoss puts the 'bRo' in Boss" - Gondorian
    Proud Member of ETC - Errors Terrors & Carers
    Europe/Africa Regional Champion 2014 (also top 8 in World Championship)
    See some videos with commentary of some of my Serena Games on Shadowera.net
    I also do a video show with TJ SamuelJ - Bob and Sam Trollin it Up!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Unless I was getting a rather large deck full of other good cards and/or had a lot of better draw, I would put it in, yeah. Sometimes shitty draw is better than no draw and all.
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

IGN: AP Flamebringer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Anything that helps you draw in Meltdown is good, but obviously it's not the best option you have. Getting milled is a real concern in Meltdown since it's not as easy to rush, so if you're the kind that likes to keep your deck size near 30, using anti-matter will kill your deck fast. That said, if you have a larger deck (as an anti-milling defense, perhaps), you would be able to use Anti-Matter to weed out your less desirable cards. That is, of course, if you drew it early.

But to me, the best use of Anti-Matter is when paired with Infinity Core. Use anti-matter to draw cards and keep discarding allies (versus other useful cards), and then use Infinity Core to regenerate and bring them back into your deck. Try to keep your other cards in hand unless the ally is someone you absolutely need in your hand right then, since you can only return allies into your deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The problem I keep encountering is that the tempo cost (2cc) and the activation cost (3cc) is too great in meltdown and often there is just no time to play the card and use it without seriously jeopardizing your board position.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    At least the tempo cost is low. It's mainly for situations in which you're at 6 or higher resource but no cards in hand. It's better than nothing.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Haven't played MD in a while but Antimatter is last resort draw because it destroys your deck fast. Without some recursion also available I would avoid it.
    Last edited by Veles; 11-21-2014 at 08:00 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrossw View Post
    Antimatter without a deck built around it is as mediocre a draw engine as it was in Dark Prophecies. It's still better than nothing (which is why many elemental decks in DP still used it), but in a 30 card deck, you may mill yourself, so you need to use it sparingly if at all.
    Mediocre draw engine? 3cc draw 2 cards keep the best one... Is better than Tome of Knowlege. In meltdown it's not that good but still better than topdecking, and if you mill yourself, well then you didn't get screwed T8 at least, :P. So yes, put this shit in your deck no matter what, .
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱