Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lightbulb Loest, Savior of Layar (My First Guide and Decklist)

Hi guys I just came back to Shadow Era yesterday, after a long hiatus give or take 3-4 months. Anyways I noticed that my kick starter reward arrived! The duel decks I was psyched about it. I wondered how well my old competitive decks were so I tried them out in quick match. Ah as I thought it didn't do that we'll, wasn't consistent. From 0-100ish rating then dropped to 80ish rating. So then I was like oh heck why not make a deck for fun? So I took the most interesting hero I saw in my card list and chose Loest! Surprisingly this deck did very well. From 80ish to 231 rating, 0-7k score. I made a few tweaks here and there but overall it was pretty good,

16 wins and 4 losses. My IGN: Yasuo Airbender

UPDATED: 07/9/2014
    WIN/LOSE: 24/6
    Rating: 250
    Score: 11235

You guys can check my replays for some details and ideas how I deal with certain situations.

Anyhow here's the decklist:

Hero:
    1x Loest, Savior of Layar

Allies:
    2x Jasmine Rosecult
    4x Dirk Saber
    4x Aldon The Brave
    4x Priest of the Light
    2x Armored Sandworm
    2x Marshland Sentinel
    4x Aeon Stormcaller
    2x Layarian Diplomat
    4x Midnight Sentinel

Abilities and Items:
    2x Fireball
    1x Poison Gas
    2x Lightning Strike
    1x Engulfing Flames
    2x Tome of Knowledge
    3x Supernova
    1x Arcane Burst
    2x Dagger of Unmaking
    2x Loest's Burden

So the idea of this deck is to get the maximum value out of everything.

Let's talk about each of the cards individually. Below is an in depth guide on using this deck.

Loest, Savior of Layar:
    He's amazing when you want to clear something. It may not be a board wipe but gets rid of some of those annoying attachments that activates when something dies or the attachment is destroyed. Loest EXILES so it overrides and makes it vital in games where your opponent relies on those triggers. For example turn 5 your opponent has a fat or strong ally on the board, and you have nothing, you can gain board control by exiling their ally then placing your own! Wow such value.

Jasmine Rosecult:
    Enough said.

Dirk Saber:
    Dirk was probably the main idea of this deck along with midnight sentinel. Combos are a must in a deck to make things effective.

Aldon The Brave:
    Really nice 3 drop, has 4 health and 3 attack perfect combo with Dirk Saber, turn 3 turn dirk's ambush damage to 3 to clear your opponents 2 drop allies. Adds that extra damage you need while having an extra ally on the board, better than an item attack boosting aura because this one not only does that but also leaves more health on your board.

Priest of the Light:
    Why this card you say? Not only is it a 3 drop for a 3 attack 3 health it also gives one MAXIMUM health to your hero and makes your opponent lose 1 shadow energy. Sometimes this will easily die if they already have a 3 attack ally on the board, but this gives possibilities of plays if you don't want your opponent to use their hero ability next turn.

Armored Sandworm:
    This is a superb card. But not so good that you need 4 of them, so 2 is enough. This card is basically for surviving on the field and trying to take out your opponents allies. Because it can sustain 2 damage from any source that means it can survive your Supernova and hero abilities pretty well.

Marshland Sentinel:
    This is another great synergy. Let's say for example turn 5 your opponent has a threatening ally or item or attachment. You exile them with Layar then play marshland sentinel. Basically your opponent has 2 options now. 1 is to play an ally and you turn it's attack to 0 with Marshland or option 2 kill marshland which will probably use up most of their resource. Then next turn you can just safely play Aeon or Sandworm while they basically have nothing on the board and one less clearing spell.

Aeon Stormcaller:
    Is he ever bad? I Thought so.

Layarian Diplomat:
    This was a card I tweaked the deck to add because I felt that this deck needed 2 more 2 drop allies in case of aggro decks, also this is good for late game if they also have cards like Aeon, Marshland, Jasmine Rosecult.

Midnight Sentinel:
    Awesome card must have for dirk synergy. One backfire is if your opponent plays first and they play an ally before you play dirk. So you have to be careful. I'll talk about how to deal with this down below.

Abilities and items:

Fireball:
    This is usually just used for clearing hard to get rid of allies or a finisher to their hero's face. Don't get greedy and use this anytime you have enough resource!

Poison Gas and Engulfing Flames:
    I usually don't use this as a resource, as this is a secondary wincon with engulfing flames. Unless they have a hero that gets rid of negative effects.

Lightning strike:
    The maximum value with this card is to use both strikes on enemy allies. Very good clearing card.

Tome of Knowledge:
    Awesome card draw, but usually play this when you run out of cards or you have nothing to play, don't play this if you could play an ally that could survive that turn.

Supernova:
    Awesome card if you're behind and need to boardwipe also strong cards in this deck can survive these attacks, aeon and Sandworm.
    Also can be a great finisher or if you need to make the game draw by suiciding.

Arcane Burst:
    Best aggro deck boardwipe, if you know your opponent isn't playing aggro then this is a card to be resource top priority.

Dagger of Unmaking:
    Very annoying for your opponents can make various plays, don't use this as a setup, if you can play a 5 drop ally, play that instead! Unless they have an ally that you want to send back to their hand.

Loest's burden:
    This decks second draw, this is simply amazing unless you are very low. Also if you are a ahead, this card just makes you secure the victory.
    Also if you are on the verge of death and need to get rid of it, you can just exile it with your hero's ability.

What is the dream hand?
    Well basically you want to have Dirk Saber and Midnight Sentinel in your hand, all you need is those 2 cards, you don't need more than 1 of them in your hand, the rest can just go into the resource pile. You'll also want board wiping or removal cards. You want to get value out of everything. If your opponent started and played a 2 attack 2 health on turn 2 and you have dirk and midnight in your hAnd but you know your opponent will just kill it, then put dirk in the resource pile, it's not the end of the world if you can't pull off the combo, but it just increases your rate of winning by quite a lot.

Well that's the end of this guide, leave some comments or questions below and hopefully I can answer them
    Last edited by dragon25xx; 07-09-2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Win lose ratio and rank update with this deck

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting. One thing I'm glad with this deck is that you haven't made it into that currently most common Loest deck which is just essentially a clone of rush Eladwen, which is just an annoying and stupid strategy for Loest who can technically be so much more than a brainless rush hero.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    Interesting. One thing I'm glad with this deck is that you haven't made it into that currently most common Loest deck which is just essentially a clone of rush Eladwen, which is just an annoying and stupid strategy for Loest who can technically be so much more than a brainless rush hero.
    Haha thanks, like I said I just came back I have no idea what's the current meta. I basically just threw in a bunch of cards I thought were good, put in some essentials and a few combo wombos. Everything just pieced itself together I guess :P

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Intresting deck, the Loests I've been seeing were only Eladwen clones or solo decks that were no better <_< If you can pull out a decent win rate with this deck, I would say it's the best Loest I've seen

But still, don't you have an excessive amount of Aeon? I see that this is a control deck and Aeons are very handy cards to play, but 4 of the same 6cc unique card just seems too many to me o_O

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by NewINIMoon View Post
    Intresting deck, the Loests I've been seeing were only Eladwen clones or solo decks that were no better <_< If you can pull out a decent win rate with this deck, I would say it's the best Loest I've seen

But still, don't you have an excessive amount of Aeon? I see that this is a control deck and Aeons are very handy cards to play, but 4 of the same 6cc unique card just seems too many to me o_O
    Thanks, we'll basically why I have 4 Aeon is because he is a very valuable card if you get him in your first hand or draw into him early game it's not that good, but I usually use him as a resource, having more in the deck just ensures that even if I use him as a resource early instead of saving him, I'll probably draw into another one. 8 health for a 6 drop is very strong and hard to get rid of. Even if they turn it to 0 attack ally, having a protector on a 8 health is very useful. Even if they get rid of one, can they get rid of the next 3? :P

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lol...I suppose I didn't think far enough for another few Aeons coming up on the board. I usually never dealt with more than 2....but then again, I suppose that's only because the opponent doesn't even carry around more than 2 in the first place.

Good luck on ur games XD