Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Post your on the job horror stories

So for those who don't know (which would be most, lol), I work in a supermarket. After a rather trying day today, which involved people putting their dog into their shopping cart, kids running around and climbing onto shelves, and people just grabbing beers and opening and drinking them in the store before purchasing it, among other patience trying events, I thought I'd make this post to see what kind of horror stories other people might have had at their jobs, just as a bit of therapy for myself (and maybe those posting as well, lol).

Looking forward to some interesting stories.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    After a rather trying day today, which involved people putting their dog into their shopping cart, kids running around and climbing onto shelves, and people just grabbing beers and opening and drinking them in the store before purchasing it, among other patience trying events.
    You need to convince your family to shop elsewhere, man!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here is a few that I've faced at work. The first was when I worked in a tire production plant. I was working a 12 hour shift and I had only about an hour to go before I would be done and could go home. I was tired and half asleep since I had worked all night. At this time I always worked with my shirt not tucked in my pants. With being so tired I was a little careless and leaned to far over equipment I was working on. My shirt got caught and was ripped right off my back. Thank fully it was colder weather so I had a jacket I could put on after this happened.

These next two happened where I work now at the paper. I was downstairs and had to change the reel arms to run wider paper. I tightened down the arms and begin to load rolls of paper into the reel. When I was about done the reel arms slipped loose and I ended up dumping the huge rolls of paper into the pit below the reel. Now, I had to go get the supervisor and we had to figure out to pick/drag these huge rolls out of the pit. What we ended up doing was using a clamp truck to pick up the rolls of paper up out of the pit. To give you an idea of how big these rolls of paper are, one full roll of paper weighs just over 2k pounds. What had happened is that I had tightened down the reel arm in the wrong spot so it slipped loose.

The other thing is far worse and happened twice. Once on a press I was working on and the other time not. We periodically stop during a press run to change out plates so the paper would have the latest sports scores or to replace pages with more up to date news or to replace plates that have errors on them. Well, this one time a plate was spotted wrong and put on the press on the wrong spot. The error was never caught until after the press run was over. So over fifty something thousand papers were printed with two of the same page in the paper.

The second time this happened a plate from a different run was placed on the press. They ran its allotted run. On another press a plate was missing for there run. So they checked the other press only to find out they had just finished the run. Unfortunately they had printed the paper with a page in it from another paper.

Anyways, all were bad night's for the people involved. In each instance someone was written up for what happened.
    Last edited by kraken; 06-29-2014 at 10:22 AM.
    Mage Guardian of Gilead
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I guess anything I would put down about my time here would have the chance of sparking those horrible times back up, so I'll avoid them. The only thing I could say was horrible were to downright inhuman responses I would get from some people when having PM discussions about infractions or bans. Even though I knew they meant nothing, its hard not to be effected by them a tiny bit, which can bring down a person that was already going through a depression. Guess its hard to expose how this is a "horror" thing about the work I did without being specific, but its probably better that way and I'm sure you guys can imagine some of the things that were said to me.

Also, I can understand your pain some what, Tman. My brother works at a Dollar store and it has the same problems as a grocery store would. I hear about the crap that happens on a daily basis when he comes home. Be it the corporate making them do pointless things (like mirroring the candy aisle, seriously all that did was confuse me as a customer.... took me longer time to get my Jolly Ranchers >:O) or a customer's kid playing with all the toys and then just leaving them there or even the rather common issue of people bringing pets into the store and the troubles that come with that.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I can't say it was a bad day for me, but my bosses, boss got shot ( by accident ) while I was a few feet away! Let me tell you that locks down a building real quick! ( he's fine now and not much came of it)

About 2 yrs ago I was working at my interior design job and my new client turned out to be bi-polar and a manic depressive. Totally fine at the shop choosing materials and products. Unfourtunaley for me I found out when I had already sold the whole bathroom remodel job and I began the work that I could do, that her home was where she went a little nutty.
    I discovered real quick, that when I arrived in the moring, she would either be crying or screaming at her kid. Then whatever that mood was it got transferred onto me. Every day she apologized in an e mail and every day something I did was wrong or just not up to her standards! What should have been a 2 week job went on for a month, and she called about everything from the wood grain in the mirror frame to the Crome on the faucet not being as shiny as on the shower ( I went over and wiped it off with a cloth and she was happy, the dam thing had toothpaste and soap scum on it!)
    She called for 6 months after the job was over and I had to deal w her. In the end I'm so glad about my job now, pay cut and all...those crazy rich people with to much time and to much money can kill your soul!

@Kraken, I used to work in a large publishing/printing house to! A long time ago, I'm glad your ok, those presses are no joke! And can happily kill you!
    Last edited by Kip thorp; 07-01-2014 at 10:14 PM.
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread