Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Consistency of art

Another thread mentioned that some SE art seems inconsistent with itself and with SE lore. Glancing at the card list, I agree. The Yari are an example. One card depicts a Yari in a desert, armed and equipped like an Aiel. Another shows a Yari in a snowy region.

I don't know what Yari lore, if any, exists. Possible explanations for the variance could include:

• Yari is not a nationality, but a title or some other designation.
    • The Yari are a diasporic nation.

I haven't noticed any flavor text implying either of these, but there are many cards I haven't read.

Do others think more consistency in art and lore is appropriate?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes more consistency would be nice!
    Best Regards,

Bobbypim
    [ Warwizard of the Jutland Plains ]

Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn
    ( Read about my guild )

IGN: BP Bobbypim

Card designs:
    Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Heroes Rising | Coming of Dragons
    Trackers of Night | Keystones

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That's what you get when you go on a DA trip to purchase random artwork for your TCG

They say that Yari are the warriors for hire , so it kinda make sense for them to be everywhere from snowy mountains to dry dessert .
    It's always good to go back to your previous achievement and realize how mediocre it was , because it means that you have improved a lot since that time

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes the Yari are mercenaries from Lyth (If I recall correctly) so they will operate in all fields of war.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Yes the Yari are mercenaries from Lyth (If I recall correctly) so they will operate in all fields of war.
    ^This.
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Consistancy in the art would be very tough, and expensive.
    While I think it would be great, you need to have one art director getting your artists to adjust thier style to be "consistent "
    Which ,can be very hard to do. That or you need one artist working on all cards to be consistent.

Either way it's a tough job. Most companies , run with separate artists for each expansion, so the expansion might have a different flavor but it makes each expansion stand out on it's own within the whole of the game.
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It can be done however. Take for example Applibot (Legend of the Cryptids). They contract dozens of artists from DA, yet all the art is of the same styling (even though the artists themselves have different natural styling). Suitable artistic direction can achieve this, but it is more expensive as everything is full rights.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Another example is Chromancer TCG. Just like Wulven, the company behind it is not a big one. IMO overall their arts have same styling, although created by different artists. And their arts are great.
    "'Cause everything that you thought I would be, has fallen apart right in front of you..."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shadow Era having different style of art doesn't bug me as much as the fact that there's hardly any connection between the cards . We only have Ythan and PotM , which i don't believe that it's intended at all , the second is Cutlass and Serena . The lack of character references in the cards artworks make me feel that we are just playing a card game with pretty artworks and that's it .

I'd love if SE heroes and allies appear in the artwork of ability or item cards more often , like other TCG :

It's always good to go back to your previous achievement and realize how mediocre it was , because it means that you have improved a lot since that time

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Certainly it is helpful to have a master plan for artwork, lore, etc. but I think this is really hard to achieve for a small company. And primarily it is more important to make the game popular.

To keep the high level of artwork in SE, Wulven cannot simply take some low quality artwork. So Wulven is already restricted when selecting artwork. And not sure how many pieces are actually contracted work, i.e. especially drawn for Shadow Era.

Does Wulven have some permanently employed artists in their team? Of course, Wizards do have their artists for MtG. But look at some early artwork of MtG. All the lore did not really exist in the beginnings and the artwork quality varied wildely.

Still it's a pity that Wulven is slow with releasing new cards and even slower with the artwork.