Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringel View Post
    It makes perfect sense for an online card game to follow the same model, because, unlike paper card games, they can use that tool to make a better game.
    No it doesn't. A card game is a card game because it has cards. Part of the appeal of a card is playing cards, developing strategies with cards, etc. When you change how a card functions in a card game it is fundamentally different from a balance patch in an MMO because in an MMO you didn't lose everything you had developed up to that point and oftentimes you can just respec anyway. When you change how cards work in a card game you undo all the strategies that involved those cards, you undo the meta, and you basically unmake a huge portion of the game.

Lastly, MMOs appeal to people who like video games, card games appeal to people who like card games. MMOs are designed for video game players, card games aren't. When I want to play a card game it's because I like the experience of playing a card game, not because I like the experience of playing a video game (though I do enjoy some video games). While the markets have some overlap there is also a part of the card gaming community who doesn't want to play a card game that is treated like an MMO, and there is some part of the video game community with no interest in card games. That isn't to say that hybridizing MMOs and card games isn't fine, it could be great. But if you're going to do that than say that is what you're doing instead of saying you're making a card game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I do not understand the people who think this game costs a lot of money. I have played several TCGs online and those with real cards and this one is the cheapest of all.

The balance changes I saw so far were all logical and were also needed to prevent overpowered decks. I could not complain (and I loved the creatureless Zal deck with 1.24...^^).

What Kyle has done with 200 cards is simply fantastic. A lot of variety, a good strategic depth and nearly every card is worth playing. Compare this with Magic where only the top five to ten cards from over 150 from one edition make it into tournament decks and you can burn about 70% of the rest because you will never play them in any deck voluntary.

Compare it with Magic Tactics where you have to pay ~30$ (I only know the € amount) before you could even start to configure your deck. If you wanna get competetiv you start with 150$ upwards...

You get a great community, a developer who cares about what people are saying, fast and good updates, cheap cards and hot babes on the pictures...

*Throw a stick for Kyle to run afterward and start whispering* I would have payed even more money for this great game but don`t spread the word.

P.S.: I am no native speaker so please excuse my grammar

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It is still a card game, no matter how many cards change. I've played all of a handful of hours MMOs years ago and some ungodly number of hours playing card games, collectable and not. I'm deeply interested in this game because it is a card game.

Balance is always a tricky prospect in collectible card games. Its relevance to MMOs I can't honestly say as I don't play those games, but throwing out a critical tool for game balance just because it doesn't work for paper cards seems to be a waste of the medium.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfan View Post
    No it doesn't. A card game is a card game because it has cards. Part of the appeal of a card is playing cards, developing strategies with cards, etc. When you change how a card functions in a card game it is fundamentally different from a balance patch in an MMO because in an MMO you didn't lose everything you had developed up to that point and oftentimes you can just respec anyway. When you change how cards work in a card game you undo all the strategies that involved those cards, you undo the meta, and you basically unmake a huge portion of the game.

Lastly, MMOs appeal to people who like video games, card games appeal to people who like card games. MMOs are designed for video game players, card games aren't. When I want to play a card game it's because I like the experience of playing a card game, not because I like the experience of playing a video game (though I do enjoy some video games). While the markets have some overlap there is also a part of the card gaming community who doesn't want to play a card game that is treated like an MMO, and there is some part of the video game community with no interest in card games. That isn't to say that hybridizing MMOs and card games isn't fine, it could be great. But if you're going to do that than say that is what you're doing instead of saying you're making a card game.
    In short, balance be damned, no card should ever change? I mean, you make it sound like other TCG/CCGs have never had a banned/restricted/errata card list.
    My music.
    Cthulhu fhtagn...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would be glad if these balance changes would be appliable for paper TCGs because you would not need a "banned list" any more. In Magic I have really a lot old cards that are no longer competitiv against the newer cards. I would love to see making them competitiv again with a little adaption...

It is more "expensive" if your high priced card in a paper TCG gets banned. Here you just need to exchange some cards from your deck with others you already own.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Personally, I'd like to know what type if reassurance Kyle needs before he decides that this project is lucrative enough to invest in more development (if he hasn't already).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm fine with "cards" changing as long there is no pretense of being a TCG/CCG as that marketing angle is misleading. I think an alternative like "dynamic card game" might work.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    That sounds like a decent compromise to me. I think the arguments against calling it a trading card game are pretty good.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by SixDaysShort View Post
    Personally, I'd like to know what type if reassurance Kyle needs before he decides that this project is lucrative enough to invest in more development (if he hasn't already).
    He recently said he's advertising for developers.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfan View Post
    I'm fine with "cards" changing as long there is no pretense of being a TCG/CCG as that marketing angle is misleading. I think an alternative like "dynamic card game" might work.
    But how is it not a "collectible card game?"
    My music.
    Cthulhu fhtagn...