2 x Shriek of Vengeance
    1 x Soul Reaper

2 x Bad Santa
    3 x Antimatter

3 x Sword of Might
    2 x Living Armor

41 cards inc hero

No Fatties?

I’m finding of late that Shadow fatties aren’t bringing much value, especially to Zaladar. With his ability, weapons, haste and ping damage you’re pretty set. So I’ve pushed the early allies to make sure I get a decent start with 5 2cc and 11 3cc.

Sword of Might?!

Yep. It’s actually a really solid weapon for Zaladar. Here’s why:

First there's the two attack. After much experimentation I think this is a MUST for Zal, to allow his ability to combo to lethal damage more often.

Second there is no drawback for the Zal player. Sure he doesn't gain SE (Shadowvein) or he doesn't get cards (Dimension Ripper), but neither does your opponent. No longer do you have to build your deck around your weapon or alter your playstyle significantly when it arrives.

Third the cost of 5 is perfect for the resource curve, unlike Shadowvein.

Fourth the bonus attack vs 5 cost or higher. This means Zal with a weapon and ability can swing for 6 into fatties. That's enough to wipe Raven, Ogloth etc without support! This is actually huge.

Last of all the durability of 3 is a non-issue when you consider Dimension Ripper and (formerly) Thoughtripper’s Cutlass, and their place in a Zaladar deck.

Board Control

With all the weenies board control isn’t the most important thing here. You simply want to be applying constant pressure to your opponent. The vast majority of your hero damage will come from abilities and weapons. That being said this deck loves a strong start because it can keep an opponent down very easily if it gets one.

Conclusion

Nothing really new or ground-breaking here, just a very powerful and simple Zaladar.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You don't find that you have a hard time against items like Spelleater Bands and KP with no LLN or AJ?

Weapons based heroes like Serena and Gwen also look like they'd be problematic.
    Last edited by Twio; 06-26-2014 at 06:50 AM.
    GMT +13
    IGN: Exterminans
    Champion of Shadow Era for New Zealand
    Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdrJmXzISs

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Serena isn't much trouble. The toughest Rogue is actually Garth.

As to LLN not being included, I will generally beat on things with weapons and hasted allies. Spelleaters slows me down for sure but I will beat at it and use my ability to keep the board under wraps. KP is meh because if I've done my job right they're almost dead when it hits, and I've usually got a few MC ready.

Gwen is tough but she's so rare in the meta I am not too worried (plus she's always given Zal trouble, it's nothing new). Given the amount of cards now it's getting more important to build decks for the meta.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just that when I think about bad match-ups for Zaladar I think Banebow, Garth, Gwen and Serena. Acid Jet would put in a lot of work against all of these heroes although admittedly SOV does the same thing against BB and helps with Rogues to a certain extent. Ah well if it's working for you I guess there's no problem.
    GMT +13

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You're using only 3 Antimatter, so you're not using it early? I usually go with x4 tobe sure to draw it before T3. When do you use it? T5?
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would think that toughest rogue is Lance, he can produce more damage then garth and Zaladar nowadays don't really care if his allies stay on the board or not. Only major problem with rogues that I can see is Spelleater Bands, but in my experience that armor comes way too late, because they usually carry only 1 copy. When they play it they usually have taken a lot of damage and are open to Living Armor, weapon and Krygon. So in my opinion Spelleater Bands lost some of its value against Zaladar with introduction of haste to shadow.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    You're using only 3 Antimatter, so you're not using it early? I usually go with x4 tobe sure to draw it before T3. When do you use it? T5?
    Antimatter rarely sees play before turn 6 as Zal, as it won't be drawing anything anyway as you build board.

Early on I rely on Santa and Cultist, with Antimatter for longer games.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    I would think that toughest rogue is Lance, he can produce more damage then garth and Zaladar nowadays don't really care if his allies stay on the board or not. Only major problem with rogues that I can see is Spelleater Bands, but in my experience that armor comes way too late, because they usually carry only 1 copy. When they play it they usually have taken a lot of damage and are open to Living Armor, weapon and Krygon. So in my opinion Spelleater Bands lost some of its value against Zaladar with introduction of haste to shadow.

The main problem with Garth and Serena is that they simultaneously discard cards from your hand and destroy your Antimatter. Lance doesn't typically attack your hand so he is still weak against Zal while the other two are strong against him. Lance's damage output is largely irrelevant due to Mind Control and Soul Reaper.
    GMT +13

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Have you thought about Looters baton? With Zals ablility you can take down cost 4 allies and get a free draw, and it also has 4 durability instead of three. I will be testing it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventoreck View Post
    Have you thought about Looters baton? With Zals ablility you can take down cost 4 allies and get a free draw, and it also has 4 durability instead of three. I will be testing it.
    I've tested it extensively. The 1 attack really slows it down. Were this only CotC cards it would be far better, but there's too many 5 health allies out there.