Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

You Guys Need an In-House Artist

I think you guys could save money, time, and headaches if you would just hire yourselves an in-house artist!

You should adapt a more concept-y art look for the overall style so that the artist wouldn't have to break their back making too many details per card. People respond more to concepts and character than they do to the details anyway. A good concept artist could whip together such a card in 10-20mins per card

And also, you should start designing cards around the characters in the storyline. This will make it easier for your in-house artist to make meangingful, recognizable situations and items when cards feature reacurring characters in different places doing different things. There is no need to make a new kind of magic thing in order to express a new card's power. Instead you can just say, "Amber's Journey", or "Baduruu's Might" and no, that wouldn't break things because you can just say if another shadow ranger uses Baduruu's Might, that Baduruu shows up and gives him helping hand. Or if Boris uses Amber's Journey, you can say that he is just listening to some advice that Amber gave him or something. =p

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't know where you get your time estimates from, but 20 minutes would at best net you an EXTREMELY rough sketch.

I do agree with the idea of an in house artist and concept artist. It will help with uniformity of style, both character and artistically. However it's significantly more expensive than licencing art, which is the main stumbling block.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    The thing is that SE art is too high quality for TCG. You don't need that amount of detail for a card, it could be simpler. Basically, they're using art not intended for a TCG. But level has been set already and changing it would be weird.

What I think they could do now is just get art first, design a card for it later.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The art for sf just looks like someone googled a bunch of shit or went on deviant art. Wtf is with Oliver Fagin? Is he some kind of final fantasy char? He looks like a black mage...I saw the image earlier in a post and thought it was a joke until I updated

And thought rippers cutlass is a fucking scimitar

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akratch View Post
    went on deviant art.
    I think, that's how they do it.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Unruler View Post
    I think, that's how they do it.
    In fact that's pretty much how it's always been done.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The art for sf just looks like someone googled a bunch of shit or went on deviant art. Wtf is with Oliver Fagin? Is he some kind of final fantasy char? He looks like a black mage...I saw the image earlier in a post and thought it was a joke until I updated

And thought rippers cutlass is a fucking scimitar
    LOL, i guess it is not so far from real card selection process...i mean they first create card concept, then they in several cases go on deviant art looking for some art available trying to fit them to the card concept they made....but sometime the final upshot is a raw forcing.....PHOENYX URIGON is a perfect example.....a phoenyx with the image of a middle quality deathwing dragon.....(sorry for my terrible english...i hope concept is clear....)

It may be a good solution gathering FIRST the best images, then use them as inspiration for the card concept and mechanics....so first of all you ALREADY have the images, and second card art/name/ability have a correct synergy with sense.
    Last edited by Riccardo; 06-17-2014 at 12:20 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wtf is with Oliver Fagin? Is he some kind of final fantasy char?
    +1 looool, dont underestimate this chinese rice seller, it may kill you by throwing a thunder handful of rice.....terrible....
    Respect for this 7 ccost moron ally

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There hasn't been much " shadow era favor " in the cards really , we are just playing a card game with random fancy artwork found on DA ) There are some artists who have had their work featured in SE since CoTC but it doesn't seem that the artworks were made exclusively for SE , with SE in mind .

The Trias guys who worked on DP artworks were quite good , if only their artworks were a bit more detailed , they seemed to be rushed for the release of DP , which led to everyone's anger about the sudden drop in art quality .
    It's always good to go back to your previous achievement and realize how mediocre it was , because it means that you have improved a lot since that time

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    I don't know where you get your time estimates from, but 20 minutes would at best net you an EXTREMELY rough sketch.

I do agree with the idea of an in house artist and concept artist. It will help with uniformity of style, both character and artistically. However it's significantly more expensive than licencing art, which is the main stumbling block.
    All I can say is that I've seen some guys on youtube do some really incredible things in 5 minutes or so, real time. And if they adopted a really concepty and expressive style I feel like they could find someone who can really crank them out with great quality.