Close

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mulligans

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lightbulb Mulligans

Due to the infamous shuffle bug, the idea of mulligans came up again. Since the tournament queues are going up soon, this is the perfect time to put this in!

I was thinking of adding this rule:

Before sacrificing on your first turn, you may choose to accept a mulligan. Return your hand to your deck, shuffle your deck, and draw new cards totaling one less than you had previously.

The beauty of this is that it doesn't force a mulligan waiting period at the start of the game for both players to confirm, there is a penalty for taking a mulligan of one less card, and the player going second gets a mulligan choice after seeing 7 cards instead of the 6 that the player going first sees, so there's a bit more added benefit to offset the first turn advantage.

What do you think?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good idea.
    IGN: TJ Scout
    Telegram: @shubham1309

"Scout is a hacker we should report him" - SK Trinolcour

Team Juggernauts Recruitment Thread

Link to TJ forum
    IRC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sounds good, just wondering if it'll make rush decks more prevalent, especially decks like Aramia Wisp.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The second player also has the advantage of deciding to mulligan after seeing what the first player played.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird View Post
    Sounds good, just wondering if it'll make rush decks more prevalent, especially decks like Aramia Wisp.
    this is my fear as well

also as long as you are talking about automated tournaments, is there anyway to force a deck to include any number of allies in it? While millstalker and mill skervox are viable decks, they take forever to play and could cause people waiting for hours, which is why in pop ups they are banned.
    Last edited by pjoe0211; 06-17-2014 at 07:43 AM.
    IGN: AO1 Pjoe0211
    Trophy Case
    3rd in first tourny SE tourney ever
    joint winner of 1.27 master tournament
    2nd in crown(9) "Five Classes"
    winner of 7 pop up tourneys
    2nd in 4 pop up tourneys
    2nd in green division 1 season 4
    2nd in TJ ironman challenge tourney

Winner of 12 pop ups
    2nd in 16 pop ups
    Winner of [Beta Server] Every Heros Tournament
    2nd in Gondorian's GR34T tournament
    Winner of [SF] : Extremely Tough Challenge: THE DRAFT

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm still not convinced about the necessity of mulligans in Shadow Era. The odds of getting bad hands from a well built deck are slim (especially compared to MtG). I'm not against the idea however.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Before sacrificing on your first turn, you may choose to accept a mulligan. Return your hand to your deck, shuffle your deck, and draw new cards totaling one less than you had previously.
    I guess the only way to know would be to test, but I predict more free wins of opponents mulliganing than with their original 'bad hand'. Losing the card is a pretty steep price.

Play a couple of games in which you draw a good hand, pick the worse card and never play or sac it. I'm not that sure you'll like it.

I'd be interested to know how it would affect metagame and deckbuilding though.

Player 2 mulliganing after Player 1 has played is weird (only because it's unique ). What if Player 1 gets ways of interacting with Player 2's hand on turn 1? I guess P2 can still mulligan with a card penalty.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am really not for it. Most requests I feel come from rush players. This would just make those decks more consistent, which would lead to more people playing them, which would lead to boring QM and NPE. Ofc you can argue that it helps other player find answer to rush, but in practice those answer are fewer than cards opponent uses to rush because he build his deck for it.

If you do decide to go for it your proposal for muligan sounds good. Just don't make it like in Hearthstone to pick cards you want replaced. That would really boost rush decks I feel.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1 to FDL - i also am no too sure if mulligan is really that important

on the other hand though it might as well help for those of us who like toolbox decks

..if i were to vote though, i'd probably vote NO
    "This is who I am, nobody said you had to like it."

TJ 4Ak
    Vermilion Bird
    The Holy Beast of...
    Team Juggernauts

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    If you do decide to go for it your proposal for muligan sounds good. Just don't make it like in Hearthstone to pick cards you want replaced. That would really boost rush decks I feel.
    ..^^this, so much this - if there is Mulligan, it must be FULL, no partial (i.e. Paris)
    "This is who I am, nobody said you had to like it."

TJ 4Ak
    Vermilion Bird
    The Holy Beast of...
    Team Juggernauts

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Whilst simple to implement, this WILL affect balance and the meta.

I think if you're going to bring this in, then you should also increase the minimum deck size to 50. Otherwise, it improves consistency too much and throws off the balance. With an increased minimum and a mulligan then you will both help and hinder consistency, at the same time increasing variety and reducing the probability of clumping.

How about we do a PUBLIC TEST with Mulligan and 50-card minimum together? Just have it as an option in Custom Match. The community will give feedback and we go from there.