Close

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Mulligans

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Romantic Gunner View Post
    Yep. They've been 'testing' it for over 2 years now. Lmao
    http://dev.wulven.com:8080/browse/SE-511
    Yeah looks like they stopped working on it in 2012.
    Raised in Exile. Trained in Kiptergarten. Mastering the ways of SE one step at a time.

Long live the Queen...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Markmasters View Post
    How about both players start with 6 cards as usual.

Player 1 is asked to mulligan, he doesnt have to, if he won't he will be able to start
    Player 2 now has the option to mulligan.

If player 1 did not mulligan, he will always start. If player 1 did mulligan and so did player 2, player 1 will start. If player mulligan and player 2 did not, player 2 will start.

Game now proceeds as usual.

Why? Being allowed to start is a great deal in this game. This way an advantage is given to the player that would normally not start by choosing whether he wants to start or not if player 1 uses mulligan. If player 1 does not mulligan, player 2 still has the free option to mulligan.
    This is something I think I could be on board with. Losing first turn makes it more of a decision instead of just mindlessly opting for a mulligans because you don't have your optimal hand.

Generally, I am not one for the idea of mulligans. I have been playing this game for a while just not active on the boards so take my opinion as you wish. I simply do not see why this is needed. This game, just as much as it is based on deck building and sac choices, is rooted in randomness.

I won a game the other day where my BF drew me a BS and the third card of that draw popped a FFM which combined with my pumped JD won me the game. P.S. I was vs a mage and definitely dead next turn. I only had one BS and FFM left in my deck of 18 card to start the turn. Total luck, or randomness; whichever moniker you prefer.

My overall feeling is sure, you may pull a 'suboptimal' hand, so? I mean, you do not expect to win every game do you? Sure you may feel your chances of victory are great with a strong deck but you never feel cheated when you draw both copies of LLN in your opening hand. You just face palm and figure out what you will do next.

Everyone wants the best chance to win but asking for another game mechanic to aid with your victory seems like an easy way to achieve that goal. Or I should say it is easier than really putting in some serious effort when constructing a deck. Do not mean to step on any toes, just my opinion.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Not that it's a big deal because word of the prophet sees other use outside of turn one but consider: Start at 6, resource to 5, word of the prophet brings you to 4 cards. With a mulligan you start at 5, resource to 4, and didn't have to play a card to do it. So mulligans will cheapen the value rendering word of the prophet shenanigans. Omg who cares.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    When you draw a deck full of 5+ allies, items and abilities you can't use but your tech cards and cheap allies are all at the bottom of your deck you sorta wish you could mulligan
    (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง the unseen phoenix donger is the deadliest (ง ͠° ل͜ °)ง
    Justiciar of the Audacious
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." -- Author Unknown

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasBlitz View Post
    When you draw a deck full of 5+ allies, items and abilities you can't use but your tech cards and cheap allies are all at the bottom of your deck you sorta wish you could mulligan
    I've obivously had terrible starting hands in SE, but IMO they're pretty rare.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm on the side of those who believes this is not a good idea.

As it had been said, mulligan would reward bad deck building and won't really matter to good deck.
    With 40 cards in a deck and 4 allowed copies, if you consistently end up with bad hand that your first few draw don't help then you don't need a mulligan feature. You need a new deck.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AP Madscientist View Post
    I'm on the side of those who believes this is not a good idea.

As it had been said, mulligan would reward bad deck building and won't really matter to good deck.
    With 40 cards in a deck and 4 allowed copies, if you consistently end up with bad hand that your first few draw don't help then you don't need a mulligan feature. You need a new deck.
    This I can disagree with. Say you're playing wulven moon, victor bobcats or rush mage. All these have specific get go mechanics.
    wulven will mulligan for a blood moon, victor for a crusader and gambit and rush mages for their early start. It is very much possible for these decks to get bad draws but they are in now way "bad decks".
    I can also bring this arguments for priests where as many priests struggle to get their draw mechanics on the early game and even though these decks are much slower than their control or rush opponents they are by no means "bad decks"
    Justiciar of the Audacious
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." -- Author Unknown

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    the idea is good and bad. the good part is that therr will be challenging matches since both sides will have high chance for a gold start/get their DEs early im the game.the bad part is a well thought deck will not much differ from a bad one. i have 4 blood frenzy and 3 bad santa in my 39-card deck, but i'm so unlucky that i dont see them until t7 in a lot of games making me wish i could mulligan.
    Last edited by Crusader; 02-26-2015 at 10:44 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I rarely felt the need of a mulligan into this game, and I guess it would be a good option mainly for rush decks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    So someone brought up mulligans in a previous thread and starval linked this thing... An admitadely old thread but, it died well before i joined the forums, so I'll just post my oppinion on it now

I petsomally find rush decks to be the most boring thing to exist in shadow era. I'd much rather sit through 40 minute mill fest against a moonstalker then just watch an opponent go face and have no real "battle". Mulligans will of course help those rush decks...and my lovely combo decks will be sad. However...I'm not opposed to a mulligan mechanic if it didnt do so well for rush. As a combo deck player, it would also help me greatly in getting all the peices together for whatever I'm doing.

So...the reason i revive an old dead thread is id have a suggestion. Were mulligans to be considered, I'd also suggest increasing the minimum deck count to 50 or 60. With lost lands now out, all the mass amounts of options available, and average deck sizes starting to increase, the implementation of a min. Deck increase+mulligan would help to allow the feature without ensuring rush has their "perfect hand".

I do predict this suggestion will be an unpopular oppinion, but for any out there who really wish for a mulligan feature, min deck size would have to increase to help prevent the most boring deck ever from taking over
    Shadow of the Night
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Seeker of potential, hidden from the light
    Teacher from the darkness, the Shadow of The Night
    To you I bring my knowledge, hidden from plain sight
    And write it in my blog, bringing new things to the fight

IGN: BP Umbra Nox