Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well then what about a Bad Wolf that's set ablaze with 1 health remaining? When his turn begins he does not die. The damage and healing balance, no?
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlanketEffect View Post
    Well then what about a Bad Wolf that's set ablaze with 1 health remaining? When his turn begins he does not die. The damage and healing balance, no?
    It's based on an old ruling and not been fixed. About a year ago, Kyle decided (and we agreed at the time) that negative effects should always happen before anything else. Bad Wolf used to heal before the negative effect because it's your card on your turn and the negative effect was linked to a card belonging to opponent. If he still heals and then burns, he needs fixing.

(There is a question though, of whether what is actually written on the affected card in question should be the very very first thing that happens, even before negative effects. We could claim that's happening here and revisit the rules to add that bit in, subject to Kyle and rest of DT approval.

EDIT: Scratch that. At each point in time (e.g. start of turn), each card on the board is processed in Standard Resolution Order (as defined in the rulebook), so if I have a hero attachment that damages my ally at the start of my turn, then that needs to be processed before that ally's start-of-turn effects (hero attachments are processed before allies). Negative effects are treated like magic invisible cards that have their effects right at the start of the SRO.)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, in MTG, for instance, the active player is the one whose abilities trigger first in the case of simultaneous effects. That, I think, needs to be the determination made. Is there going to be a specific set of rules that determine how effect types resolve, and in what order, or will the active player's effects always be the default ones that resolve first. Active player's effects resolving first is the most straightforward and simple, but may not be how DT wants the game to play out.

One thing is for sure, 4 years in and no definitive rulebook published makes things like this really goddamned annoying.
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Well, in MTG, for instance, the active player is the one whose abilities trigger first in the case of simultaneous effects. That, I think, needs to be the determination made. Is there going to be a specific set of rules that determine how effect types resolve, and in what order, or will the active player's effects always be the default ones that resolve first. Active player's effects resolving first is the most straightforward and simple, but may not be how DT wants the game to play out.

One thing is for sure, 4 years in and no definitive rulebook published makes things like this really goddamned annoying.
    See above. I edited. Negative Effects are just an exception to the MY STUFF ON THE BOARD ON MY TURN HAPPENS FIRST policy. This is because they are the only things that can persist without their sources being on the field. Everything else having an effect is on the board. And, now, I think we have a full understanding of why negative effects stick and other effects must be provided by a card on the board.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There is an inconsistency with that argument though, isn't there? If I play Midnight Sentinel, giving an ally Ambush, it retains that positive effect (ambush) even if Sentinel leaves play.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    There is an inconsistency with that argument though, isn't there? If I play Midnight Sentinel, giving an ally Ambush, it retains that positive effect (ambush) even if Sentinel leaves play.
    The effect is having the ally gain the ability. The effect is done and irreversible, so no longer processed at any points in the future. Your ally has the ability now. Same goes for gaining health or gaining attack or health reduction. The effect is a one-shot that makes a change and then it's forgotten. Sure, something can later have an effect that neutralises the previous one, but it only appears to have canceled it, when in fact there has been a gain and then later a loss.

In SE, there's a clear distinction between one-shot effects (which make some change once) and ongoing ones (which need to be sustained by cards on the board or negative effects). The English language used on the cards has been carefully chosen to show whether it just happens once or it's ongoing.