Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Looking for a word ...

Imagine this scenario:

Person A has low confidence, struggling to be productive and reluctance to continue, and can't see a future worth working towards. Person B does their best to encourage Person A, convincing them it is worth trying, and together the two reach a point where Person A is feeling confident and being productive. Person B then decides to give up on Person A and actually take them away from what they've been built up to do.

What's that called?

Simpler version: Person B is nice to Person A for a long time, only then to do the complete opposite later, showing none of the niceness anymore.

Mental torture? Sadism? Is there a word for when you build someone up to later knock them down, showing there was no compassion there all along?

It's what psychopaths do, isn't it?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I should clarify that this has zero to do with Shadow Era or anyone here. I just really need to know the word, if there is one.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

That's what came to my mind when I read that. Don't know what the exact term for it is, though.

Might be completely wrong as well.
    Last edited by Airact; 06-08-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Perhaps it depends somewhat upon what person B's intentions are.

If person B does the whole thing with knowledge aforethought it is duplicitous or even Machiavellian behavior.

If Person B just randomly shifts gears or changes direction it is more like schizophrenic behavior.
    Least active member of: ETC (Ended There by Chance)
    Account for Gondorian to transfer Shadow Crystals to: m0ghedian

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    IMO, when B's later decision is cold and calculated, planned for a number of weeks, you have to assume there was no real care before. You can't suddenly go from really kind to heartless unless the kindness wasn't real.

Person A then gets a double whammy. The bad thing that happens and also the shocking truth that they fell for fake kindness. The latter is worse IMHO. Can lead to all kinds of trust issues.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This reminds me of a drama queen. Person B gets joy from helping Person A, but when the drama is gone, so is Person B.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think thats called being a selfish d*ck.

One possible reason for such behavior from person B is that he/she is feeding its own ego and is mitigating own low self esteem by helping person A. At the time they may really think they are doing that with best intentions. In reality reasons are quite selfish because they put themselves in position of a "savior"or "protector", thus believing they are in better spot and superior to person A who is in a need for help. But at the point where person A rises above their problems person B is left without "food" for his/her own ego and confidence boost opening doors to envy because while A did ultimately resolve problems person B did not. Instead of sinking in to its own low self esteem B turns hostile as another way to hide truth from self.
    Last edited by Veles; 06-08-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Passive agressive
    or
    dismissive
    or
    Con man. As person B might have planned to dump person A since the beginning.

Unreliable, two faced, backstabber, Doberman, turncoat.

But the behavior is absolutely passive agressive.

Narrsasistic if person B gained anything form it ( even if it only a feeling of screwing someone over )

Part of a phsycopaths many issues, but certainly not all.

Yes Veles nailed it as well! And nija'd me! A dick, a stupid dick who decided that it was better for him/ her to go another path. Even if that ment screwing person A.
    Last edited by Kip thorp; 06-08-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    A1 kip thorp
    the daddy daughter team of death
    Proud Graduate of Kiptergarten
    A1-Alliance ~ Evolution in Theory

A1 Alliance LEADER & Crash Test Dummy
    Check out our recruitment thread

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Looking for a word ...

Quote Originally Posted by Veles View Post
    I think thats called being a selfish d*ck.

One possible reason for such behavior from person B is that he/she is feeding its own ego and is mitigating own low self esteem by helping person A. At the time they may really think they are doing that with best intentions. In reality reasons are quite selfish because they put themselves in position of a "savior"or "protector", thus believing they are in better spot and superior to person A who is in a need for help. But at the point where person A rises above their problems person B is left without "food" for his/her own ego and confidence boost opening doors to envy because while A did ultimately resolve problems person B did not. Instead of sinking in to its own low self esteem B turns hostile as another way to hide truth from self.
    Ah yeah, that makes sense as a possible motivation for such behaviour. That kind of thing shows up in most American high school movies. Popular girl/girls befriend the awkward new kid, build her up and then later slam that kid in the face with "you really thought we liked you? As if? You are a big loser and we tricked you. Ha ha". Come to think of it, I saw it in a movie yesterday!

Regardless of the motivation, the damage to Person A's psyche from the ultimately cold behaviour ("I thought you were my friend!") can be huge.

Can you ever really know if it was planned all along?

On the flip side, what If Person B is actually kind and the latter action was misinterpreted as evil? Maybe there was some ultimately cruel to be kind going on? Hmm. Interesting stuff, right?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Bummer.
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.