Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Arrow The first Eladwen deck posted since 1.23

Well, I decided to make an Eladwen deck just for the fun of it. I didn't intend to make it competitive, but it's actually performing surprisingly well for a deck that fell out of favor ages ago. Anyway, time to get to the business end:

Eladwen
    3 Jasmine
    3 Puwen
    3 Aldon
    2 Raven/ Aeon

4 Fireball
    4 Lightning
    1 Engulfing Flames
    1 Poison Gas
    3 Research
    3 Supernova

2 Snow Sapphire

30 cards

I really want to cut to 30 cards, but I'm not sure which cards I should remove. Strongly thinking of putting in Retreat as well. And I don't like Portal much. It's not worth 4 resources for instant attack for 3 turns. It's also easily destroyed. Keep in mind I posted this deck for 1.25 so no Sandras. Anyway, I'd like to hear what you think about my deck. Any feedback's appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Reshiram99; 05-19-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It looks solid.

For 1.25 I think Puwen > Blake
    As I have discussed in other mage threads, I'm strongly against 4x supernova. Doing yourself 20 damage is insane. 15 is crazy 10 is just enough. So why have to cards that will occupy space and always be resources?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    @ elpargo: Oh yeah, you're forced to play all 4 nova as soon as you get them. Meant to be sarcastic, no insult intended. Anyway, just because you have 4 in your deck, you don't need to play them all. Having 4 increases your chances of getting nova when you need it, the rest you can just resource. In some of my matches, nova has saved my butt from getting handed to me. That was when I had 4 nova. If I had just 2, there would have been much less chance of me drawing nova, and potentially, getting my butt handed to me. So moral of the story is: even if I have more nova than I usually need, having 4 ensures that I have the best chance of drawing a nova when I need one. Ask Ice for further details. And yes, I am seriously considering puwen so I won't get killed by fire snake and various other weenies.
    Fire Snakes are high in Vitamin D.

Account for Gondorian to put crystalz into: Reshiram99

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I'll keep using Blake until 1.25.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have never needed a nova and not being able to cast it. It's a 5 resource card, which means you get 11 cards before being able to put it down. That's 30% of your deck, You have to be really unlucky to not get one. Bt turn 5 you are most likely near 20 health, which means dropping to 15 health, but wait math to the rescue!

Using the calculator posted here

With a 32 deck playing second (Sample size 11, initial draw + 5 turns) with 4 novas in the polulation the chance of getting at least 1 is 40.68%
    With a 30 deck playing second (Sample size 11, initial draw + 5 turns) with 2 novas in the polulation the chance of getting at least 1 is 48%

I do not want to do the math, for the second nova just think about this thread the next time you are below 10 energy and draw a nova card.

Cheers

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Just consult Ice already. I'm terrible at debating.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Just had a close match against Gwenneth. I was cruising with an aldon and Blake on the board, and got him down to ten health with flames, when he pulled out a seeker and killed both allies. It was a close match, and he got me down to 10 health as well, but I killed him with my burn spells. GG though. Human Mages seriously need item removal.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey hey, don't shove the burden of debating for you on me. >_> Since I was going to before I saw what you said, I'm gonna give some input here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by elpargo View Post
    Using the calculator posted here

With a 32 deck playing second (Sample size 11, initial draw + 5 turns) with 4 novas in the polulation the chance of getting at least 1 is 40.68%
    With a 30 deck playing second (Sample size 11, initial draw + 5 turns) with 2 novas in the polulation the chance of getting at least 1 is 48%
    The probability of drawing a Supernova in 11 cards if you have four of them in a 32 card deck is about 83%.
    The probability of drawing a Supernova in 11 cards if you have two of them in a 30 card deck is about 63%.

So yeah, either that calculator doesn't work properly or you entered something wrong. Because MY calculations obviously cannot be wrong!

In any case, increasing the number of Supernovas in the deck is about increasing your chances to draw one by the time you need it, not about actually planning to use all four of them.

That said, this deck has a bunch of low-cost allies here, which strikes me as something that would be anti-synergetic with Supernova, so you might not need or even want four of them in this deck (key words here are "in this deck). I'm adding that last clause so that it doesn't seem like I'm contradicting myself from that other thread. Then again, I haven't played this deck, so I don't know how well Supernova fits here in practice. I like to minimize the potential downside of the cards in my deck when I include them, though (almost no allies in my Majiya deck, for example).

Maybe add a few Aeon Stormcallers come 1.25? I hear Elementals are getting nerfed.

To be honest though, I haven't played Eladwen since... very early multiplayer. I only played her to get some cash for Majiya.

However, I do know that none (or very few) of the old builds ran Supernova (then again, they ran Portal). The nerf to Eladwen's power is unfortunate, even if I did push for it initially (I was unaware of the fact that armor and weapon cards were slated for the same update), making it that much harder for Eladwen to keep board control.

I think I was going to say something else, but I'm in a hurry somewhere and don't have time to think about that now~
    Last edited by Ice; 04-15-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke

Let it be known that Majiya is my favorite hero.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Hey hey, don't shove the burden of debating for you on me. >_> Since I was going to before I saw what you said, I'm gonna give some input here anyway.

The probability of drawing a Supernova in 11 cards if you have four of them in a 32 card deck is about 83%.
    The probability of drawing a Supernova in 11 cards if you have two of them in a 30 card deck is about 63%.

So yeah, either that calculator doesn't work properly or you entered something wrong. Because MY calculations obviously cannot be wrong!

In any case, increasing the number of Supernovas in the deck is about increasing your chances to draw one by the time you need it, not about actually planning to use all four of them.

That said, this deck has a bunch of low-cost allies here, which strikes me as something that would be anti-synergetic with Supernova, so you might not need or even want four of them in this deck (key words here are "in this deck). I'm adding that last clause so that it doesn't seem like I'm contradicting myself from that other thread. Then again, I haven't played this deck, so I don't know how well Supernova fits here in practice. I like to minimize the potential downside of the cards in my deck when I include them, though (almost no allies in my Majiya deck, for example).

Maybe add a few Aeon Stormcallers come 1.25? I hear Elementals are getting nerfed.

To be honest though, I haven't played Eladwen since... very early multiplayer. I only played her to get some cash for Majiya.

However, I do know that none (or very few) of the old builds ran Supernova (then again, they ran Portal). The nerf to Eladwen's power is unfortunate, even if I did push for it initially (I was unaware of the fact that armor and weapon cards were slated for the same update), making it that much harder for Eladwen to keep board control.
    Well, actually, my deck kinda has 2 playing strategies for different heroes. I can either aggro rush them (preferred route) or burn them (alternative). Nova doesn't come in much use when I go aggro, but nova's vital when burning them. Can keep early board control and does damage to other hero to boot. And can board wipe if I'm at a disadvantage. So I play 4 of them. I'm also considering aeon. I've already bought one, just don't know if it's worth extra card slots. I'm already at 32 cards. Do you think I should put in retreat? And Eladwen's power didn't get nerfed that much. One mor shadow energy to use ability is nothing! And just for your own entertainment, I'll make a list of the heroes I aggro rush/burn:

Aggro rush: Hunters, Wulven,
    Burn: Mages, Priest, Elementals
    Both: Warriors (burn first, then aggro rush)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    *sigh* ok my calculation could be wrong (or yours) I'm sticking to 2 at most 3 because I could use it for something else. Maybe I'm lucky but I almost never have had the problem of needing a nova and not having it. Perhaps it is because I run a no-ally nishaven.