Close

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Constructive Discussion about Aetherborn Wisp

Hey!

There's loads of threads about it, but most seem to be complaining and the constructive stuff gets lost in there. This is an attempt to get just constructive contributions in one place so we all understand the combo, its power, its weaknesses, etc, etc.

Please can some constructive posters attempt to answer:

1) What actually is the combo?

2) What happens after you have achieved the combo?

3) What is the probability of getting all the parts of the combo in time?

4) What really screws over the combo, even if the combo goes off perfectly due to 100% lucky auto-pilot playing?

5) What is the opponent usually doing while the combo is being set up? Do they play allies/armor/abilities?

Many thanks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    First of all, why do you think the deck is more auto-pilotable than others?

The combo builds around Aetherborn Wisp getting huge with the help of Abomination Factory and Glimmer of Hope. The combo succeeds by disrupting the opponent with removal, Birgitte and Tenacious Buccaneer.

The combo is generally dealt with by multiple removal spells (first the Protector, then the Wisp), or by rushing it down. You can also force the Wisp to attack allies to buy time, though it's not always possible.

I'm not good enough at probability calculations to know the odds in a reasonable amount of time.

The less the opponent does, the better it is for you. That's why the deck has such an easy time preying on some of the decks. People try to get by as ally focused as possible (because it's best for board control) while this deck forces them to answer it with removal instead of allies (allies work in some situations but it's generally hard to deal with a 10/10 by attacking it).
    Last edited by Airact; 05-12-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wisp is not Unique... that is another problem. So Two wisps behind a protector grow in such a rate that ogloth or death collector will hide behind a tree. like Champion of Irum, a powerful potent 2cc drop should be unique..
    if you look at SF theme, it has so many discard options... discard and haste got pretty attention... humans has abomination factory, glimmer of hope... and to compensate discarding cards tenacious buccaner is there.
    So here is aramia, who gets abomination factory pretty soon.
    then there is a cheap protector birgitte. to shield wisp.
    then there is buccaneer who actually gives incentive to discard...
    so aramias ability,
    two discarding options (cheap too)
    cheap protector,
    limitless growing power of wisp,
    and buccaner... this is what it makes wisp so lethal...
    IGN AA1 DARKCROSSBOW dont call me a noob, say something that I dont know of

lone wolf of the east

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....Guide-To-Traps

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    the complete shut down options are Supernova (if timely, before wisp reaches more than 5 health) or Tidal Wave. other than that, one can use attachments to shut down wisp if Brigitte is taken care of..

lone wolf of the east

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    The thing is though. There are very few abilities that can actually take care of Birgitte. There is Ice Storm and Now you're mine from the top of my head. But there aren't many others that can deal with her so early in the game. Any attachment based defence is basically nullified because of her. Captured Prey? Nope.
    Crippling Blow? Nope.
    Zails Hymn? Nope.
    Banish? Too late, and spending 4cc to get rid of a 1cc is probably the worst possible trade you can make.
    Assassination? Well, you need an ally on the board first, which just isn't possible apart from Nightshade perhaps. And even then you only get rid of the Birgitte and need to wait another turn to get rid of the Wisp.
    Poison Arrow? Too slow since it takes 2 turns to get rid of the Birgitte.

Basically the problem is that there are close to no cards that can easily get rid of a 2 health ally very early in the game. Most answers cost 3cc or more. This wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't a 10/10 wisp behind it so you would have a little bit of a time.

Generally, I think that making Wisp unique would already be a good way to go. Perhaps also give it a cap, but make sure the cap is high enough so it doesn't kill the deck. (6/6-8/8?)
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shocking Grasp, Spark + Spark, Boooomerang, I am playing Zaladar rush so I know a few fixes by T2. Wulven has Now You're Mine as well I think. Also any 2cc ally with 2 attack if you go first. There are a lot more t3 answers that can kill Brigitte right away like Mark of the Feared, Shield Bash, Righteous Strike etc but it could be too little too late.

In any case by turn 3 I know either I will win or I will lose quickly, it isn't what I would call a good game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well wulven heroes just kill it with an ally on turn 2 to kill birgitte and then now your mine or Death from above

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by iClipse View Post
    The thing is though. There are very few abilities that can actually take care of Birgitte. There is Ice Storm and Now you're mine from the top of my head. But there aren't many others that can deal with her so early in the game. Any attachment based defence is basically nullified because of her. Captured Prey? Nope.
    Crippling Blow? Nope.
    Zails Hymn? Nope.
    Banish? Too late, and spending 4cc to get rid of a 1cc is probably the worst possible trade you can make.
    Assassination? Well, you need an ally on the board first, which just isn't possible apart from Nightshade perhaps. And even then you only get rid of the Birgitte and need to wait another turn to get rid of the Wisp.
    Poison Arrow? Too slow since it takes 2 turns to get rid of the Birgitte.

Basically the problem is that there are close to no cards that can easily get rid of a 2 health ally very early in the game. Most answers cost 3cc or more. This wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't a 10/10 wisp behind it so you would have a little bit of a time.

Generally, I think that making Wisp unique would already be a good way to go. Perhaps also give it a cap, but make sure the cap is high enough so it doesn't kill the deck. (6/6-8/8?)
    6/6 cap (or lower) and unique seems necessary imo (and that's just the cap for it's own ability...could still be buffed more from factory or other cards)
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    just as I said... make wisp UNIQUE first... thats half work done... then think something else...

lone wolf of the east

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iClipse View Post
    Basically the problem is that there are close to no cards that can easily get rid of a 2 health ally very early in the game.
    Well, there's Boooomerang, which is available to all, and acts like 2 damage for 2cc. And it goes back in your deck for use later.

EDIT: And if they have an unbuffed Wisp waiting to be buffed behind a Birgitte then you can use Boooomerang's ability to take out the Wisp.