Close

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Positives

1. I really do like the feel of the new battleground. I feels more like a battle arena with the hero in the center and the 3D dynamic textures. Excellent
    2. I like how there is no resource pile. But yeah maybe just disable the drag and drop function for that as there will be no need to use it.

Negatives (as with the most people have said)

1. Can't see the opponents graveyard nor deck. This is a must in terms of estimating mill damage and using cards like Spirit Warden.
    2. The weapon, hero, armour cards do not fit into the slots. Either the slots are too small or the cards are too big. Kinda looks clumsy
    3. Cards really are too small to see. Currently the camera view solves that problem. But in the new arena there is no such thing and it is really cummbersome just to mouse over every single card to check its health, durabilty or attack. What i suggest is that we utilise the text area to show a cards health, durabilty and attack like in the picture below:

I've only photoshoped the Brutalis card to illustrate this point. As you can see, the attack and health is clearly visible without having to mouse over the card. And when you do mouse over the card.... the card in its original form pops up... making it easier for you to read the text.

The text is way too small to see anyway when the card is not moused over ... so this would be a efficient way to utilise this dead space for showing health, durability and attack

I'm sure this kinda feature will take a decent amount of programming but i feel that it is a must in terms of improving the ease of gameplay.

Keep up good work Kyle and DT!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Some quick answers:
    - the size of allies is actually the same as it is currently. I agree it doesn't make sense to change the size of other cards like the deck, the allies on the board could still be a bit bigger
    - your support abilities and items are lined up on the left side of the board, opponent's on the right. (sorry I cast rain delay a bunch of times in other takes)
    - plans for showing top card of opponent's deck was to just have the card hover at the edge of the screen. For selecting opponent's graveyard, click on the graveyard count number

The big problem with choosing a layout that works is really the different aspect ratios. We have to support both 4:3 and 16:9 wide screen, which makes it tough. After everything, I still may just go back to the original layout, but I think it was worth a try to reorganize things. I do like the centered hero though...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think it looks good, just need to work out the little kinks that were mentioned above with the graveyard and deck visibility. New things will always seem not as good as the previous thing at first, especially when it comes to design, that is the way of change. You won't really care once you get used to how it looks as long as it doesn't mess with how the game itself works.
    Embrace The Catnip

Europe Regional (Winter 2012) Champion jacqui's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I agree with most of the criticisms mentioned.

I also don't think the layout is intuitive with having your abilities/support items on the left and opponents' on the right. Everything that's yours should be on the same side of the field to make things clear. Having your hero behind your allies also gives me the impression that you cannot target the hero before killing the allies. The way it is currently aligned to the side of them makes more sense in that regard. Also it clears up more space to make hand size bigger and not cut off etc.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Dev Video 2 - 3d Battlefield

It's better but not quite there IMO...

I'm however not a big fan of the 3D arena to be honest and would like to see a redesign of the excisting battlefields - since using artworks as backgrounds works out just great and you know what the wise men say... If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

This doesn't mean there's no room for improvement. Maybe one could add effects to these backgrounds such as a floating shade which makes the cards appear to be hovering.

You could also keep the target line as this would work great on touch screens. Only try to distinquish the line from Heartstone and MtG...

The different card areas of the battlefield could be embossed areas upon the background instead of the current outline.

I would definately have some new (stunning) backgrounds made and design/commision these to fit the angled overview. Then work on new zoom views that withholds the same angle as the overview angle.

Last but not least I think more energy should be put in evolving the animations of the game because that's where the real gaming experience comes to life. Most of the excisting animations are not bad but with a little effort, rethinking and evolvement I'm sure you could turn them up a notch

Hope all this makes sense and explains the ideas I had in mind
    Last edited by Bobbypim; 05-09-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    Best Regards,

Bobbypim
    [ Warwizard of the Jutland Plains ]

Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn
    ( Read about my guild )

IGN: BP Bobbypim

Card designs:
    Dwarven Aid | Undead Siege | Viking Storm | Heroes Rising | Coming of Dragons
    Trackers of Night | Keystones

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Okay I am liking the board more now that I've seen the animations behind it. But I would still want to change a couple of things. . .

1. I think there needs to be more space in the middle. Like a battlefield! The allies just feel too close to each other. I don't know.
    2. If support cards are going to be on the left and right. Could they be off-center? Like yours on the left just slightly closer to you, and your opponents slightly higher more towards them? I feel like that would be needed.
    3. I'm sad to see the "bend" of your hand go away. But oh, well.
    4. It feels weird that the resource pile disappears considering you can interact with it (e.g. Forgiveness). And I would assume it's not too unreasonable that there could be a card in the future that lets you actually look through your resource pile. Maybe not. . .
    5. And lastly, what about a damage indicator on the "targeting line"? That would help with Praxix, and any future abilities that fluctuate in damage.

Anyway, the future still seems blurry, but I can't wait to find out what's in store

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    After everything, I still may just go back to the original layout
    PLEASE, do go back to the original layout.

This one looks like it's some kind of Hearthstone conspiracy to ruin SE. It's fine that you tried to make it all 3Dish but it's not SEish at all. The SE feel is completely lost in this 3d battlefield version.

Simplicity is beauty... and both are lost here.

Please, the Old one.
    IGN: EX ANBU
    Dark Rogue Assassin of the East.
    Guild: [EX] The Exiled Ones "Honor is overrated."

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Honestly...I kind of liked it. I like the old style too but I agree that it needs a makeover.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am not sure if this was already asked before, but will we be able to chain attacks without the need to attack with one card at a time?