Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mini Guide To Traps

So, basically traps till now are exclusive to the hunter class. traps work as triggers and well synergizes with hunter card pool.
    in CoTC there were two traps, Net Trap and Death Trap . due to difference in casting cost it was very easy to predict which one was played and could be rendered useless.
    Net Trap : solo.gwen deck used to run many, but as said earlier it was easy back then countering these traps. for 3 turns the next opposing ally would be disabled thats one of the greatest disabling card so far, compared to clinging webs (2cc) and that freeze option (3cc) which restrict the opposing ally for 2 and 3 turns respectively.
    Death Trap : kills next opposing ally gets killed but in old days it was easy to save your fatty by just sacrificing a weak ally for eg kriss to ensure your fatty lands on the field safely. but it ensures that next opposing ally is killed. not like net trap which just delays the outcome.

Snare Trap : In DP the trap of choice. you know that t3 is important. due to current playstyle being a control one where keeping pressure on board is important t3 gives you chance to drop utility allies for later game or lasting tough allies like Gargoyles. so being able to kill a t3 ally instantly is a great tempo gain. specially when going 2nd you can ensure your t3 allies comes before your opponents. for hunters I believe rather than running 2cc allies in 4 copies, running 4 snare traps is better. specially in late game, it helps to keep control as you actually force your opponent to meaninglessly throw an ally to clear the way for next ally giving you an extra turn for setting up your board.
    posting the remaining part in next post. will refine the post later
    IGN AA1 DARKCROSSBOW dont call me a noob, say something that I dont know of

lone wolf of the east

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....Guide-To-Traps

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    now coming to the two less used traps of DP.
    Enchanted Oak : rarely used in QMs but actually a quite strong card, if used against a particular class it can be considered a must have. you can delay a tidal wave, ice storm, supernova, and many things with this. and the speciality is that as it is less used, most of your opponent will misunderstand it for Snare Trap.

Rolling Boulders : for 3 cc you actually make a Retreat to the opposing ally with cost 5 or more. not only that, your opponent loses tempo, you draw a card, not only you delay it but you get extra card and you alse pray that it should be a Perfect Shot, obviously most of the times your opponent will cast that fatty again. but it gives an assurance that only fattys will be affected. death trap loses its purpose when a puny ally clears it but this trap gives an assurance that the risky fatty only will be targeted. a major tempo swinger. specially for shadows as they dont have Retreat .
    this is it for DP, next post is for SF traps.

lone wolf of the east

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    coming to the two awesome traps from SF.
    Ricochet Trap : its my favourite one. kinda like mind control. disables the attacker and even if it survives its own attack, being disabled ensures it cant defend for a turn. awesome trap. specially built for solo builds, can work wonders for weapon based semi solo or aggro decks too.

Decoy Trap : whats more amusing than seeing your opponent wasting an important hit on your ally and getting nothing!! its your partner for semi solo decks.. you allies will last longer and except gwen all the Hunters will be smiling to add this (gwen loves bows and rapid fire more)

so conclusion, with Survivalist on, you can bring havoc with traps. Now that you have 6 different traps its impossible for the opponent to predict what have you played. a 3cc trap will obviously make your opponent tremble before casting a fatty due to Rolling Boulders and Death Trap. then attacking a hero will also become risky. you never know what can happen. the two weaknesses are,
    1) except ricochet, decoy, enchanted oak trap, all other 3 traps are fruitful only if you dont face a solo deck.
    2) STEADFAST!!! your trap is wasted if some folk with steadfast appears. not only a Spirit warden will trigger the snare trap but also survive it. so its a double loss.

so the conclusion is, according to me, traps are going to be a major part in hunter decks, specially I assume gwenneth deck will be running them the most.... its my first time writing a breakdown and I am bad at it so please pardon the lack.of details and accurate information. I hope I could help. I will try ro refine the post later with more details.

lone wolf of the east

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed reading this.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    it is your kindness GDC :-)
    thanks alot