Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Lance Deck

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    -1 Aldon the Brave --- He is unique, drawing one when you have another on board is death draw.
    -2 Aeon Stormcaller --- Same reason as Aldon. Only 2 would be enough as his high cc makes you cannot cast him very often.
    +1 Champion of Irum --- Great ally. I prefer him over Nightshade but he is unique, so only 3.
    +1 Assassination --- You already have Nightshade and Kris, this is good synergy.
    -2 Sever Ties --- I try this in my deck and it ends up being death draw in most case. If warrior use CB, you have good target for Assassination. Enrage isn't very much problem because Lance usually win by superior board control not death racing. Use Aeon against Wulven so they cannot cripple your weenies.
    Last edited by chamthabo; 05-25-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the suggestions. I actually made a mistake on the deck. I do only have 2 Aeons. Not sure why I had 4 in there.

I was running 3 Aldons, but opponents like to kill him, so sometimes it feels like I drop him for a turn and get his benefit for 1 turn and he gets killed before I ever get the chance to actually attack with him, unless I'm able to haste him with Lance's ability.

I agree that Sever Ties mostly ends up being sacrificed. Just seems when I don't have one I get into some situation where an attachment is screwing me over. But maybe I'm just being to defensive? What if I added an extra Kris to go with Assassination?

What do you think of dropping 1 Aldon, the 2 Sever Ties and adding in two Reconnaissance? That would get that +1 for all allies buff that Aldon brings, plus a bit more of a card advantage. Plus being able to see the opponent's hand would always be useful.

Still wondering about strategies for sacrificing, tempo and resource curve. At a certain point, do I just stop sacrificing and keep cards in my hand?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    First off...with a deck of 39 + hero, you are able to consistently get whatever t1-t5 you want most...IF you make those cards 4x includes.

In the case of Aldon, you were originally right about 4x. Yes he is unique...yes he can be a dead draw...but think of it like this. He gets killed so easily. If you want him on t3 as much as possible, you need to run him at 4x.

As far as Sacrificing, you dont want to sac blindly every turn up to 10 res. The cards in hand really determine how much u need to sac.

Oh and Recon sucks...dont do it!
    Last edited by WrathOfCroft; 05-25-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    IGN A1 WrathOfCroft

The Unique Never Assimilate

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I share your thoughts on Aldon. I'll probably keep him at x4 (with 1 of those being the alt artwork card, just for variety - lol).

Based on this deck, what would people think would be the ideal turn 1-5? I understand that Lance's greatest advantage is being able to control the board early then swarm later in the game. Should I focus on dropping allies on T4 and T5 or should I be looking at dropping IGG on T4 and Anklebreaker on T5?

I have never seen anyone talk about Recon, so I figured it wasn't a card that was played too often. Why does it suck? Too expensive? Or does it somehow break tempo in some way? Just curious because on the surface it looks flexible.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    IMO it sucks because slots are precious. Yeah it gives you a look at their hand, but its 0 card advantage. Meaning you get a card, but you used a card. Also it hinges on an ally to be useful. I only know of 1 person, the great SamuelJ that has ever had enough balls to use that card in competitive play.

A lot of people will tell you that IGG on t4 is your standard play. I used to think that way as well, but someone liberated me from that way of thinking. Ever notice how its a big tempo loss? But yet people have said and have shown you through games that its a standard t4 drop for Lance and they are wrong. Especially if you play it instead of an ally and especially when you play it and dont expect to get a kill the turn u play it.

Think of it as having viable options for t1-5. T2 Nightshade, t3 sentinel, t4 aldon/ seductress t5 ab/igg/raven is what the deck i am currentlh using usually plays like. But every deck is different. Concentrate! Focus Powuh!
    IGN A1 WrathOfCroft

The Unique Never Assimilate

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting. I've always thought that a card that allows you to draw another card is useful, but I can see your point. There's a difference between card advantage vs simply being able to draw more out of your deck?

Taken some more advice and tweaked my deck again:

***HERO***
    Lance Shadowstalker

***Allies (22)***
    3x Jasmine Rosecult
    2x Kristoffer Wyld
    3x Raven Wildheart
    4x Aldon the Brave
    2x Aeon Stormcaller
    2x Nightshade
    3x Champion of Irum
    3x Sword Thief

***Abilities (14)***
    4x Assassination
    4x Stop, Thief!
    4x Backstab
    2x Road Less Traveled

***Items (3)***
    3x Ill-Gotten Gains

***Armors (2)***
    2x Spelleater Bands

***Weapons (4)***
    4x Anklebreaker

TOTAL: 45 cards + Hero

Reduced the number of cards a bit, but I'm still unsure of that. 2 of the past 4 games that I've played have reduced my deck to 0.

And yes, I need to concentrate more. I think part of my problem is that I just make too many mistakes during the game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by echoenduring View Post
    Interesting. I've always thought that a card that allows you to draw another card is useful, but I can see your point. There's a difference between card advantage vs simply being able to draw more out of your deck?
    Drawing is not an end in itself. Nobody wins by drawing. It will, however, allow you to have the right card at the right time so it obviously can't be neglected. (At the same time, you don't want to be constantly drawing cards that only make you draw...)

Your deck is looking better, it has a nice balance. Lance wins by generating board and tempo advantage through AB and Raven. Play those cards to learn their effectiveness (and weaknesses). There is no substitute for experience!

Personnaly, i would reduce the total number of Assassination/Backstab to 4, 5 or 6 max. They're good card, but they are conditional (you need an eligible friendly ally + an interesting target for them to be worthwhile.

I've never been a big fan of Kris in Lance either, but I've seen a number of people play him.

GLHF
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    you have a bit of a mix in the current deck
    Kris is not good with this build since you are tending toward the slow and steady control pace
    If you use 4 Assassination then i think you need to increase the low cost stealthed allies (add more nightshade of agent rex). although we can use kris for this i think that kris is better when trying to increase the tempo and does not suit well with this build
    also i would drop the backstab since lance ability already allow him to control the board so i would prefer to take them out and add the TH for better draw power.
    Don't think the COI is best suited with lance (since COI is better late in game and lance has a lot of better tools to use late game) and especiall not so many copies. think that if we ran him 2 is the maximum we need.

so basically i would go with -1 Assassination, -2 Backstab, - 1 COI, - 2 kris, +2 Agent Rex/Skilled Ironmager/Nightshade which net you a total of 41+hero and is well suited with Lance. I can also consider another -2 backstab and replace it with +1 Sword Thief + 1 RLT in order to allow better control

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks guys! I can see how 4 Assassinations + 4 Backstabs can be a bit much, I just find that they are some of the cards I play the most, and they're good for sacrificing early in the game. Maybe that's bad strategy. I'll think about dropping 1 of each.

I love Kris, but that's probably a holdover from years ago when I played MTG. I had a relatively small circle of friends that I played with, and with the way the game was then and the way we played, rush damage was always key. So being able to drop Kris and hit right away is appealing. I also like having a T1 turn, but with only 2 copies, I rarely draw him to start. So I agree he has to go.

My thoughts on replacing him are -2 Kris and - 1 Stop, Thief! then either a) +3 Agent Rex OR b) +2 Agent Rex and +1 Nightshade. Those allies are still small enough to get out early (or to get multiples out later), and Agent Rex can help me with my item control. I've tried using him before with limited success (he was in the original deck all the way at the beginning of this tread). The issue is his item control is much more limited than Stop, Thief! so he's probably not as useful against decks that run a lot of weapons and armour, right?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Don't drop stop thief as this is one of the best cards for lance (items destruction + resource accelaration).
    Rex can't take armors and weapons. In the DP meta rex was almost useless since not a lot of items that you can still and helps you. not sure how it will be in the SF meta but he might be more useful. anyway since he is unique i will surely not go with 3 agent rex

BTW if some card is used mostly for sacrifiying that that card should not be in your deck. Although we might run such cards they are tech cards wich is used on specific matches and we want that this card will use us on lot of matches. e.g. Spelleater Bands is basically a tech card to counter Zal/Mages. on those matches you want this cards, on other matches you can suc him with no redemption. since the meta is heavily controlled my Zal/mages this is almost a mandatory card in lance deck IMO.
    i don't think that backstab answers to that category. If you don't get him you still have a lot of tools to control the board so he is irrelevant in allowing you to get your target. i would defintley not run more than 2 copies of it