Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Energy Extraction vs Lightning Hunter

Both Energy Extraction and Lightning Hunter say "your hero loses 1 shadow energy"...however, Lightning Hunter can be played even if your hero has 0 SE, while Energy Extraction can not be played when you have 0 SE. Is this intentional or a bug? If it is intentional, Energy Extraction needs to be reworded to say that it "costs" 1 SE to play?
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Edit: nvm
    Last edited by kentuequi; 04-11-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Costs that come before a ":" are mandatory.

So you need to kill a friendly ally and pay 1 SE in order to play Energy Extraction.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fou DeLile View Post
    Costs that come before a ":" are mandatory.

So you need to kill a friendly ally and pay 1 SE in order to play Energy Extraction.
    thanks for the reply..."loses 1 SE" and "costs 1 SE" are not the same thing, because I can play cards that "lose" SE even when I don't have any SE. I am not against EE costing 1 SE, but the wording needs to say that...or maybe just say this-

1 SE and target friendly ally is killed: Target opposing hero or ally takes damage equal to the cost of the killed ally.
    Last edited by Shadow Mann; 04-11-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Mann View Post
    Both Energy Extraction and Lightning Hunter say "your hero loses 1 shadow energy"...however, Lightning Hunter can be played even if your hero has 0 SE, while Energy Extraction can not be played when you have 0 SE. Is this intentional or a bug? If it is intentional, Energy Extraction needs to be reworded to say that it "costs" 1 SE to play?
    If I am not wrong, if the card is worded as

"Do something and something else: And something will happen"

You need to make sure that the conditions before the semicolon ( : ) are satisfied before you can play this card. This is also the case for Transmogrification Curse
    IGN: BP Lentan

Sentry of the Searing Sun
    Warrior of the Blue Pheonix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by lentan View Post
    If I am not wrong, if the card is worded as

"Do something and something else: And something will happen"

You need to make sure that the conditions before the semicolon ( : ) are satisfied before you can play this card. This is also the case for Transmogrification Curse
    because you can technically "lose" 1 SE without having any SE, this is a poor way to word it (we can see this with LH that I can "lose" 1 SE when I don't have any)...so technically as it's worded, the SE "loss" on both EE and TC should be able to happen even if I have 0 SE...I'm just asking that this wording be improved.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    because you can technically "lose" 1 SE without having any SE
    You can't FULLY lose 1SE if you don't have 1SE to lose. And the ruling is that anything before a ":" must be paid in full to get the effect that follows. Without the updated rulebook, I don't blame you for raising this. In fact, I thank you.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    You can't FULLY lose 1SE if you don't have 1SE to lose. And the ruling is that anything before a ":" must be paid in full to get the effect that follows. Without the updated rulebook, I don't blame you for raising this. In fact, I thank you.
    So, difference is the paid IN FULL part if before the : (whereas LH doesn't have to pay IN FULL)...I get it, but still seemed could be worded better (to say "cost" or just say "1 SE")...thanks.
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So, difference is the paid IN FULL part if before the : (whereas LH doesn't have to pay IN FULL)...I get it, but still seemed could be worded better (to say "cost" or just say "1 SE")...thanks.
    The problem isn't really the wording just your misinterpretation of the structure of the ability text according to the rules (note that the websites rulebook may not yet be updated). Anything before ":" is an extra cost that must be payed in order to play the card, but not part of the ability. The difference is that losing 1 SE is a part of Lightning Hunter's ability, not a part of his cost. Just like you have to exhaust the hero to play intimidate because its a part of the card's cost.

Energy Extraction/Intimidate (I'm sure there are other examples too)
    Extra cost: effect
    (the presence of ":" denotes that what is on left side of the ":" is a mandatory cost in addition to the card's resource cost)

Lightning Hunter
    Ability
    (There is no ":" noting that the loss of SE is not mandatory for the effect/card)

Try treating it like you would a new keyword for "extra cost."
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    The problem isn't really the wording just your misinterpretation of the structure of the ability text according to the rules (note that the websites rulebook may not yet be updated). Anything before ":" is an extra cost that must be payed in order to play the card, but not part of the ability. The difference is that losing 1 SE is a part of Lightning Hunter's ability, not a part of his cost. Just like you have to exhaust the hero to play intimidate because its a part of the card's cost.

Energy Extraction/Intimidate (I'm sure there are other examples too)
    Extra cost: effect
    (the presence of ":" denotes that what is on left side of the ":" is a mandatory cost in addition to the card's resource cost)

Lightning Hunter
    Ability
    (There is no ":" noting that the loss of SE is not mandatory for the effect/card)

Try treating it like you would a new keyword for "extra cost."
    Thanks for this explanation...others have said it too, but this clicked better for me...hope this thread helps others who were misinterpreting the rule...again, thanks!
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Greatness, Reborn