Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

My Elementalis build.

I decided to try out Shadow Era, and was interested in Elementalis. I just recently pre-ordered my box of SE(and therefore got a bunch of crystals), so this will probably get scrapped/changed, but tell me, what do you think?

4 Chimera
    3 Belladona
    3 Hellsteed
    4 Spark
    2 Soul Reaper
    3 Transference
    1 Mind Control
    3 Feedback
    4 Life Infusion
    3 Bloodlust
    3 Here Be Monsters
    2 Pleasure from Pain
    4 Shadow Font
    3 Bazaar
    3 Bad Santa
    = 46 cards

I'm not new to card games. I'm an avid player of the Pokemon TCG(and pretty good at it, if I say so myself :P), so I definitely know how to play card games, and how to work with strategy in-game. I'm new to this, and, therefore, not very familiar with many of the cards(after a while I'll be able to pick up on it), so when I'm playing an online game, I am usually caught off guard by what something is or does. This is especially true when I first encountered "Now You're Mine". I thought the card was crazy broken, but then I realized a lot of my guys are really cheap to play(Spark being a prime example), so they fall prey(har har, it's a wolf card) to that very easily.

The deck strategy is, in my opinion, simple. Using Hellsteed for built in attack bonus, I use a combination of Spark swarm/Chimera to do my damage. I use Elementalis's ability to beef up my Sparks, so I'll have like 2 on the field, each hitting for a solid 3 or 4, each with a Life Infusion. Chimera is my heavy hitter, and will have a Life Infusion and a bonus or two from Elementalis, so he can always activate his ability but still have plenty of health.

Belladonna is in there because I wanted another attacker just in case. She hits for a lot out of the gate, and has that built in drop-draw factor I really like. Bazaar and Bad Santa are my draw power, and Bloodlust and Pleasure from Pain allow me to attack with Hellsteed without having to waste an Elementalis ability on it, which is also very helpful. Transference and Feedback are...odd choices. I've often had turns where I'll be at like...8 for resources, and I selectively play them, then drop a Feedback and play the rest. I'm not sure if this card is played at all, but I've had it come in handy in a few tight spots, which is what I wanted the card to do. In other situations, I can just sacrifice it to keep building my pool. Transference is in here for that odd additional drawpower, and then also as a card for me to sack the next turn(the card I draw from my opponent, that is), unless that card is really good. This one will probably get cut, and I understand that. I just wanted a few more cards, and I assumed it would fit decently. It's not amazing, but I've gotten some use out of it.

Here be Monsters is, maybe, another odd choice. In Pokemon, there are a lot of "come from behind" cards(if you play Pokemon, they're called Twins, Black-Belt and N), which are very, VERY good. This is an obvious "come from behind" card, in that if I start second(and therefore will have a smaller resource pool, in theory, for a lot of the game), I can use it to disrupt my opponent by burning one of their resources. I don't think this is very important, but I've noticed a lot of turns where I can make a great play and make a comeback, but it requires a lot of resources. Perhaps my opponent has similar situations, and this may put a slight damper on that. It also draws a card, which is never a bad thing.

So...that's it. I'm not saying it's good by any means, or that I'm good by any means, but I'd like your opinions on the deck. I'm not stupid either lol, but don't overload with information, because I'm still trying to grasp the combos, staple cards, and Tier decks from the game.

Thanks everybody, and I hope you'll help!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Try narrowing it down, 46 cards is way too much. 40-42 is optimal.
    Take out the life infusions and add another Mind Controll.
    Scrap one of the Bad Santas, I personally, don't find Transference too useful, but hey, whatever floats your boat. :P
    Y U NO ALLOW IMAGES?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well the Infusion allows me to make all of my tiny Sparks really big, and it allows my Chimera to pull off his ability and retain a bunch of health as well...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It also allows that ally to be retreated or disabled, which allowed you to waste a card.

It's very easily countered, and that's why it's not too reliable. Another ally would often be just as good of a play, especially if it's a beefy ally.

The same reasons are also why Elementalis is not used that much. His ability is very easy to deal with.
    Last edited by Nizaris; 02-01-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    I made pumpkins! Firesnake and Plasma Behemoth.
    I daydream about cards too.

My 1.5 Moonstalker deck.

Nizaris - The Characterless Character
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

You can read about us OR join us!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Oh. Thanks, Nizaris. So I suppose I should just scrap the deck, now that I've got 4X copies of all the cards. What do you recommend building?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    no, dont scrap the deck. keep working on it. keep tweaking it.

elementals can run a 45 card deck fine if you have enough draw.

try to stay away from 1 or 2 copies of a card. make it 3 or 4 copies of the cards you want to use (except eternal renweal, you only need 1... maybe 2 if you b uild your deck around it). 3cc allies are key... maybe half your allies should be 3cc. total allies should be 35-50% of your deck... depending on how ally heavy you want it to be.
    lil dark riding hood Queen of A1 Evolution in Theory
    Alliance One recruitment thread
    RED
    my EPIC videos
    Evolution in Theory
    SE Card Price Guide - My Deck Building Guide
    all my decks together
    owner of Earthen Protector flavor text
    Caitlyn™: collecting rage quits since 2011

Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn0 View Post
    no, dont scrap the deck. keep working on it. keep tweaking it.

elementals can run a 45 card deck fine if you have enough draw.

try to stay away from 1 or 2 copies of a card. make it 3 or 4 copies of the cards you want to use (except eternal renweal, you only need 1... maybe 2 if you b uild your deck around it). 3cc allies are key... maybe half your allies should be 3cc. total allies should be 35-50% of your deck... depending on how ally heavy you want it to be.
    +1
    Shadow Era:

Every Turn Counts

"Being strong isn't just about having powers or moves...It is about HEART." - Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

PFG 2 Member "You idealize, we criticize."
    1st Singapore Meltdown Physical Tournament Winner

IGN: Berdugo ETC
    Profession: Alien Hunter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Three00Jews View Post
    Oh. Thanks, Nizaris. So I suppose I should just scrap the deck, now that I've got 4X copies of all the cards. What do you recommend building?
    I didn't say or mean it was bad, just unreliable. You can have really good games with HIM, but just as easily have terrible games. Changes are coming soon though, so I'd wait to see the new and changed cards and see what tickles your fancy.
    I made pumpkins! Firesnake and Plasma Behemoth.
    I daydream about cards too.

My 1.5 Moonstalker deck.

Nizaris - The Characterless Character
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

You can read about us OR join us!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hello mate, here are my tips.

Drop Transference, Feedback, Pleasure from Pain and Here be Monsters.

Use 4 Mind Control, always always, ALWAYS with Elementalis or Zaladar!!! It just rocks so hard.

Also, I wouldn't use Shadow font with Elementalis (in contrast, font is awesome on, say, Zaladar or Moonclaw).

As far as supporting cards go, you can always find 3 Shrieks and 2 Acids useful.

Ok now. Regarding allies, you need more of them. Aim for around 19-25 in your deck, depending on the focus, and if you are using items or not (with elementals, there arent many good items, so we pack more allies instead). If your ally focus is then 'weenies' (noticing that you have hellsteeds and sparks already) then you can add some Carniboars, Flayers, Gargoyles and a couple of Shards of Power. Then you have a weenie-deck, and Shard of Power + Bloodlust on the same turn is a nice combo.

However I would say Elementalis is stronger with tougher allies (forget the weeneis). Then you can take 4x Flayers and 4x Carniboars, 3x Thaddeus, 3x Bad Wolf or Gargoyle, 3x Belladonna, 3x Shadow Knight and 3x Plasma Beast or Brutal Minotaur. Forget the hellsteed, and probably the sparks as well (I have rarely found a situation where you can get 3 out with the 3/3 stats... maybe 1 game in 50... and they get eaten far too often by Kris Wyld or Thaddeus)

I notice that you have figured out how important drawing cards is - you've got both Bad Santa and Bazaar in your deck. Thats good, in that you normally devote around 6 cards in each deck to draw. However, Bad Santa usually benefits your opponent more than you (they get 3 cards whilst you get 2 and you miss putting out a 2cc ally) and bazaar is similar (they get the advantage before you, and it can be zapped).

So the other way to go about draw with an Elementalis deck is to take 4x Belladonna and 4x Shadow Knight instead of Bad Santa and Bazaar (drop them all out). But that will only work if you are doing the fattie deck. If you're doing weenies, you'll still need bad santa - just try to time it right.

Welcome to Shadow Era, hope you get a nice tune on your deck, and good luck!!

Farq The Orc
    Last edited by FarqTheOrc; 02-01-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by FarqTheOrc View Post
    Hello mate, here are my tips.

Drop Transference, Feedback, Pleasure from Pain and Here be Monsters.

Use 4 Mind Control, always always, ALWAYS with Elementalis or Zaladar!!! It just rocks so hard.

Also, I wouldn't use Shadow font with Elementalis (in contrast, font is awesome on, say, Zaladar or Moonclaw).

As far as supporting cards go, you can always find 3 Shrieks and 2 Acids useful.

Ok now. Regarding allies, you need more of them. Aim for around 19-25 in your deck, depending on the focus, and if you are using items or not (with elementals, there arent many good items, so we pack more allies instead). If your ally focus is then 'weenies' (noticing that you have hellsteeds and sparks already) then you can add some Carniboars, Flayers, Gargoyles and a couple of Shards of Power. Then you have a weenie-deck, and Shard of Power + Bloodlust on the same turn is a nice combo.

However I would say Elementalis is stronger with tougher allies (forget the weeneis). Then you can take 4x Flayers and 4x Carniboars, 3x Thaddeus, 3x Bad Wolf or Gargoyle, 3x Belladonna, 3x Shadow Knight and 3x Plasma Beast or Brutal Minotaur. Forget the hellsteed, and probably the sparks as well (I have rarely found a situation where you can get 3 out with the 3/3 stats... maybe 1 game in 50... and they get eaten far too often by Kris Wyld or Thaddeus)

I notice that you have figured out how important drawing cards is - you've got both Bad Santa and Bazaar in your deck. Thats good, in that you normally devote around 6 cards in each deck to draw. However, Bad Santa usually benefits your opponent more than you (they get 3 cards whilst you get 2 and you miss putting out a 2cc ally) and bazaar is similar (they get the advantage before you, and it can be zapped).

So the other way to go about draw with an Elementalis deck is to take 4x Belladonna and 4x Shadow Knight instead of Bad Santa and Bazaar (drop them all out). But that will only work if you are doing the fattie deck. If you're doing weenies, you'll still need bad santa - just try to time it right.

Welcome to Shadow Era, hope you get a nice tune on your deck, and good luck!!

Farq The Orc
    Hey, thanks for such a detailed response! Yeah, the more and more I look at it, I'm noticing things that could be changed. Coming from a current format of Pokemon where there isn't a stable, format wide draw, I am well aware of the absolute need for consistency and drawpower in decks. I've definitely noticed situations where my Bazaar has gotten zapped before I get to use it.

I'll take those considerations into effect(probably test what both you and Caitlyn have been saying). I'm currently using Darkclaw(from what I can see, it's like the "Zerg Rush" of Shadow Era, in that it's a relatively "cheap" strategy that you wouldn't necessarily see at the top tables/leagues), and just trying to get a good feel with that, but I'll probably go back with Elementalis after this new update.

What do the updates do, exactly? Change what cards are good and which ones aren't? Alter what a card does? Add new cards?