Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Skervox - Millstalker Ascendant?

After taking a look at the card pool, is it just me or does Skervox bear much hope of being the next Millstalker?

Skervox

Allies (4)
    4x Furrion Terror

Abilities (31)
    4x Poison Arrow
    4x Into the Forest
    4x Shadow Font
    4x Rain Delay
    4x Bad Santa
    3x The Perfect Shot
    4x Word of the Prophet
    4x Raven's Gambit

Item (26)
    4x Evil Ascendant
    4x Bazaar
    4x Crimson Vest
    4x Soul Seeker
    2x Arthyle's Crypt
    4x Loom of Fate
    4x Crystal Shards

Healing may not be its forte (notwithstanding the vest) but it has a lot of removals going on for it to compensate. Shattered Fates do give all heroes a fair bit of draw engine going on. As with the original millstalker, Dawn Raid and Widespread Decay will probably screw it over though the huge amount of draw granted by the engine may mitigate it somewhat.

Any thoughts?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Millstalkers power is more spammable at 3SE and also prevents the hero attacking in most cases. Millstalker also has continual infinite heal without need of allies, skervox does not- this means Skervox can simply be burned to death by mages or heros with DD can kill him without using any allies (BB+Zal). Finally, Skervox has less removal. He has no cheap removal like NYM or board clearance. So mill Skervox basically has more weaknesses. Actually Skervox in general seems fairly weak, yet to see a truly powerful Skervox deck so far.
    IGN: A1 Flibber

signature IG message: "the game has already started"

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There is a reason Moonstalker is considered the best mill deck 3SE for stealth? Skervox comes close but you cant beat solo heroes with ally disability only.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    He can't use Crescendo Btw

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Pity, pity.... I will probably try it for fun (just to troll around ) when it goes live regardless I might just try adding some item removal to help mitigate the above weaknesses, maybe, probably, hopefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariiqhafiz View Post
    He can't use Crescendo Btw
    Not sure if Skervox actually needs the Crescendo with a pseudo board-wipe effect. With the Wulven and Hunter card pool being different, stuff will be cut off in between lists.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Crescendo is not needed by Skervox. Playing Skervox can be insanely fun and competitive. I personally prefer using Skervox in Millstalker decks. Not the above build though
    Last edited by Wilhelm Odendaal; 04-25-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A lot of players hide behind their rank / tier. Simply put. Mainstream decks are just that, mainstream. I have had numerous wins against some of them. Their comments vary from this is weak, to this is one of the most interesting matchups in a looong time.

Chasing rank makes experimenting difficult if you do not have several accounts. Dont let anyone tell you xyz is weak. This is ignorance and the true menaing behind the words is.

I have not yet been creative enough to make xyz work

Have fun

Europe Regional (Winter 2012) 3rd Place Maximont's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    All the Skervox I have faced seem to be going down the mill/stall route. His ability + EA mean allies are losing 2 health per turn, combine with disable and FT and it's pretty hard for some decks to get anything to stick on the board. It's a viable playstyle but it can take a while to get going. I think it will struggle most vs fast weapon based decks (read Amber, but also Baduruu). It can counter rush burn if u go for Spelleaters over Crimson (or as well as).
    Maximont - Seeker of Truth
    Knight of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximont View Post
    All the Skervox I have faced seem to be going down the mill/stall route. His ability + EA mean allies are losing 2 health per turn, combine with disable and FT and it's pretty hard for some decks to get anything to stick on the board. It's a viable playstyle but it can take a while to get going. I think it will struggle most vs fast weapon based decks (read Amber, but also Baduruu). It can counter rush burn if u go for Spelleaters over Crimson (or as well as).
    I fully agree, however I do not find weapon heavy decks such a issue. I will post my build later today.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yes most “Skervoxion” decks tend to be going down the mill/stall route.

“Skervoxion” ability + Evil Ascendant mean allies are losing 2 health per turn, combine with disable and Furion Terror and it's pretty hard for some decks to get anything to stick on the board.

It's a alternative play style, and can take a while to get going, but is insanely fun and when played correctly it can totally obliterate / humiliate your opponent. It is a all or nothing approach. I do not claim that my “Skervoxion” is one of my most competitive build, but insanely fun. Expect to be scolded by hot tempered players when things churns out correctly.

Without further adieu here is my build:

Hero:
    Skervox

Allies:
    x3 Shadow Knight (Recycling creatures late game)
    x1 Olgoth the the Glutton (Synergies with Skervox ability and tend to stick longer with Evil Ascendant in play (alternatives: Grimjaw Hydra))
    x3 Furrion Terror (Yes 3 is enough. Try to play it behind Skervox ability (freezing opposing allies (with Evil Ascendant and Bloodstone altar in play FT will be Beefier in your next turn and can be recycled)))
    (7 Allies)

Abilities
    x3 Into the Forest (To protect hero while Evil Ascendant is doing its work, or while accumulating the needed resources for Skervox ability)
    x2 Evil Ascendant (A more effective Skervox ability)
    x2 Bloodstone Altar (Synergy with Evil Ascendant)
    x1 Acid Jet (Draw engine gets to it quick enough)
    x4 Shadow Font (Self explanitory)
    x4 Bad Santa (Draw and Mill)
    (16 Abilities)

Items
    x3 Bazaar (Yes we intend to mill your opponents deck and end up recycling cards from his / her as well as your own graveyard)
    x3 Snare Trap (Ideally played in second turn giving more time to gather resource for Skervox ability)
    x2 Arthyle's Crypt (Recycle Allies late game)
    x3 Loom of Fate (Synergy with Arthyle's Crypt, extra draw)
    (11 Items)

Armor:
    x3 Gravediggers Coat (YES, why not make use of opponents graveyard – can be a 20 odd card resource)
    (3 Armor)

Weapons
    x3 Soul Seeker (Capitalise on Skervox ability / Evil Ascendant and gain some health in the process)
    (3 Weapons)

Total: 40 cards + Hero

Alternatives for consideration (Omitted cards)
    Night Prowler (Tend not to stick)
    Crimson Vest (Found it to be a waste in most cases)
    Grimjaw Hydra (boring without card art. It is like playing with a hand drawn proxy)
    Shriek of Vengeance (No real reason)

Tough Matchups:

Fast weapon based decks
    It can counter rush burn if go for Spell eaters over Crimson (Night Prowler).