Close

Thread: Mulligan....

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mulligan....

After not having played Shadow Era seriously for probably around 1 year I decided to give it a try again, because imho it's still the best digital TCG out there, the most well balanced/well designed.

I didn't really remember why I stopped playing the game, I just remembered that I got frustrated with it for some reason (other then the eternal delays in expansions, because yeah, that was also anoying), so today I gave the game a try again... I was playing an old Banebow deck, no clue how it would do in the current meta, first 2 matches where fun, normal games.. My third game, my opening hand:

3x Wrath of the Forest
    2x Shadow Knight
    1x Soul Seeker

In the turns to come I also didn't draw any early drop.. So basicly my first card that would have any influence on the board was a 5 drop... he had normal drops every turn, so basicly I had no chance at all...

My deck is well balanced in amount of drops for each cost.. and the odds of not getting any 3 drops are extreemly low.. (have 10 of them).. and still it happened, in my third game... This is when I remembered why I stopped playing SE... because there is no mulligan... and because I have A LOT of bad luck (for some reason any random thing hates me), not having muligan means that probably 1/3 games I will have an impossible terrible draw (even when in theory it should be like 1/20)...

Why is there still no mulligan in SE? Basicly ALL other TCG's have mulligan.. and there is no good reason at all NOT to add it, it lowers luck and rises the skill factor of the game.... anyone who says that this is not true should probably just go studie some math, because statisticly it is CERTAINLY true.....

Anyway, I'll probably stop playing again, see no fun in a game where I just get screwed over by terrible draws 1/3rd of my games and basicly auto lose because of it...

Ps: for players that don't know me, I started playing this game when it was still in beta, before rogues for example were even in the game, I believe there was a cardpool of like 140 cards back then... I kept playing for a long time.. I used to be quite high rank, normaly top 50 at least, sometimes in top 20.. Played in a few tournaments, won some, etc.. So i'm no noob... Also this 1 year that I didn't play a lot of SE i played a lot of other TCG's, so I have experience in this kind of game...
    Member of E2E.

“Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.”
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    “God did not create evil. Just as darkness is the absence of light, evil is the absence of God.”
    “I want to know God's thoughts - the rest are mere details.”
    “Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”

- by Albert Einstein

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hi, welcome back. Compared to ur forum join date, i would be considered as a newbie

Here some thread discussing about mulligan suggestion on ur SE absence. Maybe u want to read those.

http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....light=mulligan

edit: Hey, I found a pool thread about implementing mulligan started by you !
    the pool end up with 57% ppl vote for yes.
    Last edited by udy; 04-04-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    INDO Language Sub-Forum

[SF]Solo Nish/Loest
    Ythan Redthorn, Rush of the Twilight Deck
    Zaladar, Alpha Strike Deck
    Bloodfang, Howl of the Pack Deck

Eyes of the Phoenix
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Dragon
    Favorite SE activity: Meltdown & Deck-Building
    Favorite Card: Anklebreaker
    Favorite Hero: Majiya

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mulligan can't help you if you are that unlucky.
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Index View Post
    Mulligan can't help you if you are that unlucky.
    Actualy, it would help me, if my avarage bad draw is 1/3, with muligan it would go down to 1/6 (or even less, depending on the muligan system) which is already a lot easier to deal with.. That + tweaking my deck (which probably is kind of outdated for the meta) would probably even raise my OK draws even more, making the game a lot more enjoyable....

Quote Originally Posted by udy View Post
    Hi, welcome back. Compared to ur forum join date, i would be considered as a newbie

Here some thread discussing about mulligan suggestion on ur SE absence. Maybe u want to read those.

edit: Hey, I found a pool thread about implementing mulligan started by you !
    the pool end up with 57% ppl vote for yes.
    Yeah, i remember that old poll of mine, sadly Wulven just ignored that more then half of their players wanted muligan.............

Anyway, will read the other threads and see if they have any good arguments against muligan that might convince me that i'm wrong about this
    Member of E2E.

“Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.”
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    “God did not create evil. Just as darkness is the absence of light, evil is the absence of God.”
    “I want to know God's thoughts - the rest are mere details.”
    “Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”

- by Albert Einstein

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You said that you have 2 normal games and 1 where your cards suck. You should be able to handle it and play anyway and even win.

I wouldn't mind to see Mulligan implemented in this game but i don't consider it a priority, because having a bad starting hand is something that you should deal with it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    "Luck is past tense instead of present tense"

I know some ppl think that bad luck is a status they carry over all the time. For me, its a word to describe an event that allready passed.

So, if a handicap still affect all player, its acceptable.
    You can have bad luck, your opponent can either. You can have bad hand 1/3 of ur game, your opponent can either. If you cant mulligan, as long as ur opponent cant either, it was even
    INDO Language Sub-Forum

[SF]Solo Nish/Loest

Eyes of the Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Colosal View Post
    because having a bad starting hand is something that you should deal with it.
    Hum, i disagree, when you know you're auto loss at T3 because you draw all your >4cc cards (when you have half your deck with <3cc cards) facing a rush deck, mean you're playing a luck based game, and that's not what most of competitive players seek.
    "Rastas don't believe in violence... Rastas don't believe... Rastas know." -Bob Marley-

Winner of the Multi-Post Streak Challenge
    *’”⁷ᵔᵕᵔ∞*°゜゚⁰ᵒ☉●•⋆.ᵢᵢᵢ₇.。・°'¨⋋ⓚⓔⓝⓣⓤⓔⓠⓤⓘ⋌¨'°・。.₇₇₇.⋆•●☉ᵒ⁰゜゚°*∞ᵔᵕᵔ⁷‘“*
    ⊰☠ ℑcℯ ℰℒℱ ☠⊱

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Colosal View Post
    You said that you have 2 normal games and 1 where your cards suck. You should be able to handle it and play anyway and even win.

I wouldn't mind to see Mulligan implemented in this game but i don't consider it a priority, because having a bad starting hand is something that you should deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuequi View Post
    Hum, i disagree, when you know you're auto loss at T3 because you draw all your >4cc cards (when you have half your deck with <3cc cards) facing a rush deck, mean you're playing a luck based game, and that's not what most of competitive players seek.
    TCG does promote luck as a factor of the game. What we are debating is the proportion of skill and luck at SE.
    I dont think we have enough evidence to sentenced SE as a luck based game.
    INDO Language Sub-Forum

[SF]Solo Nish/Loest

Eyes of the Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It seems to me that most luck in SE comes from easy/hard matchups.
    Mulligan would shift luck even more to that direction,
    making the matchup advantage more reliable.

It might be different in tournaments with sideboarding though.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Seeing how strong and common rush is in QM I guess the question is would mulligan help you counter that or would it help them rush even better. If it would make rush easier and countering rush harder then it would defeat the purpose of putting it in.