Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Logan Deck I threw together.

*Edit* Some of the changes mentioned by Veles have been made. More likely to come as time goes on!

So this is a Logan deck I kind of threw together as it says in the title. I had looked at other strategies for Human Warriors, but I took some know-how from that and some similar cards from my Banebow and Gravebone Decks (Which I may post about later) to go ahead and see what the forum thinks of it. I'm a fan of criticism, so rip it apart, gentlemen.

Cards: 43 (42 + Hero)

Hero: Logan Stonebreaker

Allies: (17)

2 Death Collector
    2 Ironhide Karash
    2 Kairos Doombringer
    2 Morbid Acolyte
    2 Magma Jackal
    2 Rust Weevil
    3 Shadow Knight
    1 Wild Berserker
    1 Wulven Savage

Abilities: (15)

1 Bad Santa
    3 Blood Frenzy
    4 Crippling Blow
    2 Enrage
    1 Rampage
    1 Sacrificial Lamb
    3 Smashing Blow

Items: (10)

3 Berserker's Edge
    3 Jeweler's Dream
    2 Spectral Sabre
    2 The King's Pride

I was a little surprised at the success I had with this deck. I didn't keep track of my streaks but I had a couple of rather successful ones. I like that I have some variability with my draw engines, and a lot of the allies' abilities come together in a stellar way.

*Quick Note before matchup breakdowns: I haven't played this one on the SF Beta yet. Will do soon.*

This deck has been pretty great against other warriors. Really great actually. Same goes for Hunters. The traps get a little obnoxious, but you have enough equipment between the Rust Weevils and Smashing Blows to ruin their whole day and destroy the bows. Wulven are also kind of obnoxious, they're usually a long game with this deck. But again, usually a rather even match. Priests are usually not a problem either because while they destroy a lot of weapons/armor with focused prayer it's easy to stick to a more ally-based strategy and hang a couple allies back so that when they finally pull a tidal wave you can hammer them with weapons and get another ally on the board. Logan's ability definitely helps you hold or regain board control.

Rogues are sometimes tricky: a less-than fortunate opening draw can give them time to gain ground on you, especially if the player knows what they're doing when it comes to card-starving. But even against most card-starvers as long as I don't a really, really bad draw I can pull out the win. I haven't played it against a really, really good Logan Deck player yet, just average/slightly impressive ones.

Certain mages have proved a problem. Portal Mages are almost never a problem, Logan's ability, Kairos, Magma Jackals, Wulven Savage, and Wild Berserker are all great when turning back an attempted storming of the board via Portal. And of course, we've got the dirtiest trick in the Warrior playbook: crippling blow on the best ally on the field.

The mages that I'm having difficulty with as of late are certain EF Rush decks, and what I can only describe as the most annoying deck ever where Nishaven freezes or retreats everything and slowly burns his way into nova range. Not a fan. Not. A. Fan. The Rush Deck is a tougher match on a good draw, a really tough match on a decent draw, and completely SOL on a bad one. The Nishaven deck I just don't understand the strategy enough to really know how to combat it. The way I've turned these kinds of matches around is with the one card I've almost replaced but for when facing these guys: Dimension Ripper. DR has been excellent at stealing mage abilities from the Mages who desperately need them. And nothing is more satisfying than burning a mage to death with his own fireballs and Novas.

I'd love to hear some feedback on this deck, and some advice/insight from the Forum, particularly about the Mages. If you have some recommended changes I'd enjoy hearing them.

Cheers,

Jack
    Last edited by SimpleJack93; 04-02-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Edited deck
    Excellence Through Cohesion

ETC Member

IGN: ETCSimpleJack

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"
    - President John F. Kennedy

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    My honest critique is that deck is a bit unfocused. Couple of things you could improve on first glance:

Draw: You need more draw cards, and on top of that it should be unilateral draw for main draw engine. That is 4 copies of Blood Frenzy, and at least two of your choice: Sac Lamb or Bad Santa.
    Reserve weapon is not good in Logan deck unless you run Berserkers edge. There are couple of reasons for that. Getting +1 to a weapon isn't big of a deal, you can't kill a lot if stuff with 2 or 3 attack on its own, unlike Amber who can buff weapon to 4 with it. Now that is some fire power. Second, it is useless if you don't have a weapon in play or in graveyard, so I would go for -2 Reserve weapon and +1 Jeweler's Dream. JD is very important to play on t4 to help you regain board with Logan smash + Crippling Blow.
    Which leads me to adding 2 more CB for x4 of it. It is cheap and effective control. You can't say no to that.
    No need to run Sever Ties when you have access to Spectral Saber. It is attachment removal and in case of emergency it can be used as a weapon. So -1 Sever Ties +1 or +2 Spectral Saber.
    I personally like to carry only one Enrage and Rampage, but that is up to you.

That is foundation for a good warrior deck. I hope this helps. It is also good idea to keep card count as low as possible so if you decide to add these changes I would recommend dropping some cards that are bit situational like Shadowspawn.
    Last edited by Veles; 04-02-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thanks for the advice, Veles! I'm going to make a couple of those changes immediately, and I'll edit the deck list above. What would you edit in the allies section? And what would you do to more effectively combat a rush or a heavy mage presence with this kind of deck?

P.S. It's funny that you were the one to respond to this. I'm looking to join ETC and one of the other guys on your guild forum just told me to read your post about IRC.

Best,

Jack
    Excellence Through Cohesion

ETC Member

IGN: ETCSimpleJack

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men"
    - President John F. Kennedy

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, logan is very weak hero, and he has a lot of tough match ups. Regarding Mages you need stronger early game. So 4 Karash would help. Good Tech vs Eladwen and Maj is Disciple of Aldmor. I would take out Rust Weevil from your deck since you already have 3 Smashing Blows and Magma Jackal since he is useless most of times and replace them with something like Karash, Gargoyle, Death Collector (he has good synergy with JD), maybe Plasma Behemoth as a fatty.
    Last edited by Veles; 04-02-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla