Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Zaladar: seeking advice

Hello!

I've been playing a stall / mill Zaladar deck for a while now, and I think I've got it pretty much there. My Quick Match rating sits around 260, but I have serious trouble with ability damage rush mages (think Eladwen with Fireball, Lightning Strike and Supernova as there is nothing I can do to defend against these)

Hero:
    Zaladar

Allies (7):
    Death Mage Thaddeus x 3
    Furrion Terror x 4

Abilities (20):
    Mind Control x 4
    Eternal Renewal x 3
    Shriek of Vengeance x 2
    Shadow Font x 4
    Bad Santa x 3
    Ley Line Nexus x 2
    Temporal Disturbance x 2

Items (19):
    Evil Ascendant x 4
    Armor of Ages x 4
    Infinity Core x 4
    Antimatter x 3
    Contaminated Water x 2
    Morphic Armor x 2

Total: 47

Notes:
    - 4x Infinity Core and Evil Ascendent looks high, but the deck completely fails without them. Item destruction, discard, stealing and the need to get them out early = 4 in the deck
    - Antimatter and Infinity Core is such a good combo; didn't get it at first, but it is great. Add in Eternal Renewal and your discard pile is the same as your deck - doesn't matter where your cards are
    - Furrion, Evil Ascendent, Contaminated Water and hero ability = possible to kill 2x 7HP allies in one turn
    - If this doesn't work, Mind Control or Armor of Ages to buy time
    - Victory is either through mill, or ability damage adding up on the hero
    - Defeat is usually ability mage damage (fireball etc.) or i get unlucky against a very rushy deck. Or, occasionally, Dimension Ripper loses my good cards

Anyway, keen to hear how it can be improved, particularly against the mages out there...
    Last edited by trevorJacobs; 02-26-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sadly, not much can be done against mages, especially Eladwen that always come packed with ton of burn. Thing you can do is to boost your chances against other matches. I would recommend to take few cards out. For example Temporal Disturbance can help you as much as it can harm you. Also contaminated water doesn't have big effect considering most heroes abilities are useless vs your deck and your opponent will have plenty of SE to get rid of it. I also think you don't need LLN. Only two items that can harm you are Spelleater bands and Kings Pride. You can ignore Spelleaters considering hunters and rogues can't prevent mill damage so you ca only focus on allies. Second can cause inconvenience, but it is only +1 health gain.

So I would go -2 Disturbance, -2 Contaminated Water, -2 LLN for 41 card deck. This way chances of getting your key cards like Infinity Core and Evil Ascendant gets higher.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Gotta agree with Nik, Eladwen is out of reach. I've played 150+ games with my Stalladar (there's some discussion about Elad in there) and I don't think you can tech against her - your control is too slow and your heal is too slow...

The other Mages are 50/50 in my experience. If you make it through the early game with a healthy HP total you have a great chance.

Personally, I like running a 39 card Stalladar because you need your EA, SFs and draw cards early.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Good thinking

Contaminated Water rarely makes that much difference; removed
    Temporal Disturbance seriously increases the mill and helps against mages, as it discards spells - i almost always sac one though, so perhaps keep only 1
    LLN... this is the one I'm not sure about. As well as Spelleater Bands and Kings Pride, my deck fails against Dimension Ripper, Gwen's bows, Mocking Armor (which absolutely destroys my deck - this is almost insta-fail)

Looking forward to Shattered Fates, I'm looking at adding:
    Rampant Krygon x4 (3 damage with haste; fuel for infinity core)
    Loom of Fate x2 or x3 (more / cheap draw)
    Living Armor x3 (more defense / hasted ally as required)
    Last edited by trevorJacobs; 02-26-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    no bazaar in a mill deck !!!??
    IN GAME NAME : A1 Ragosonos

A1's BRUTAL MINOTAUR

Ultimately proud EX-member of A1 leadership

My famous 320+ rated builds :

rag-ajiya
    meta destruction threbin
    competitive blood fang
    zhanna control
    banebow control

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ragosonos View Post
    no bazaar in a mill deck !!!??
    Indeed - I've been looking at this for a while. I think the answer is that my deck is not mill, but stall. Or not fast mill, but slow mill. It's all about controlling the pace:
    - Killing allies as soon as they go down
    - Stretching out the number of turns i can hide behing armour by leaving few allies alive
    - Stretching out number of turns i can use Infinity Core for net healing above damage taken
    - Getting 10-12 resource down to aid in the above
    - Eternal Renewal to go again

Bazaar means that i speed up the game too much; i often have 5-7 cards in hand and i need to use Antimatter to discard to use Infinity Core. As such, Bazaar gives opponent more draw, speeds up the game and nullifies my healing ability.

Thus, on balance, I don't use it.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It doesn't matter that you feed your opponent cards when most of their cards barely matter in the matchup.

If you get EA online and can spam Shadow Font and Furrion Terror while sitting behind an Armor of Ages, it doesn't matter that they draw an extra ally or Anklebreaker every turn. IMO, you need to set up as fast as possible and Anti Matter doesn't allow that.

I've seen some players use both Bazaar and AM with good results though.

Bazaar is obviously terrible against Elad but as you've experienced, taking it away doesn't improve the results against her a whole lot.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis