Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

WTH have you done Yu-Gi-Oh!?

Not sure how many people here play or follow Yu-Gi-Oh! at all, but for those who don't know, there is a new anime series coming soon, and with it a new type of monster summoning style. Barely any info has been shown for the anime, so who knows if that will be any good, but this new type of monster that has just been revealed is, well, confusing to say the least. I have no idea how this is actually supposed to work at all.

Video explaining how they are supposed to work:

What do you guys think? Is this just way too complicated for anyone else to figure out as well?
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    How it works:
    Instead of a normal monster, you can summon 1 Pendulum Monster to either the blue (left) or red (right) Pendulum Zones. While there, they are treated as spell cards and utilize the 'spell ability' of their text. Each Pendulum Monster has 2 numbers, one in Blue and one in Red. Once both Pendulum Zones are filled, you may special summon any number of pendulum monsters from your hand or deck so long as their levels fall between the Blue and Red numbers in the proper slot (blue number in blue slot, red number in red slot). So if you had a blue 2 and a red 6, you could special summon all level 3, 4, and 5 Pendulum Monsters that you have.

When they die, they are sent to the Extra Deck rather than the gy.

Personally, I feel bad for their balancer on this one!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, thinking about it more, I guess it's kinda making more sense, but it's still very weird. Although one thing I think is not quite right with the description from Nachyo is that as far as I can tell you aren't just able to summon Pendulum monsters themselves with this, but any other regular monsters in your hand that fall within the level range. As you can tell that last card shown (the dragon looking one) is just a regular effect monster but has an effect that takes when Pendulum summoned, so it seems that it isn't just Pendulum monsters that you can summon by this method, but regular monsters too. Also I'm assuming that the Pendulum monsters themselves go the extra deck when destroyed regardless of whether they are in spell or monster form. Also I'm assuming while in the Pendulum zones they can be destroyed by things like Mystical Space Typhoon, as they are treated as spells.

Sorta makes sense and seems interesting, but still very odd. I kinda wonder what the makers of the game where smoking when thinking up a new mechanic for these cards. Also I don't really dig the look of the Pendulum monsters themselves, with the two colored background and extra effect box that cuts off the artwork. Just looks weird.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."

Member of PFG3
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by NachyoChez View Post
    How it works:
    Instead of a normal monster, you can summon 1 Pendulum Monster to either the blue (left) or red (right) Pendulum Zones. While there, they are treated as spell cards and utilize the 'spell ability' of their text. Each Pendulum Monster has 2 numbers, one in Blue and one in Red. Once both Pendulum Zones are filled, you may special summon any number of pendulum monsters from your hand or deck so long as their levels fall between the Blue and Red numbers in the proper slot (blue number in blue slot, red number in red slot). So if you had a blue 2 and a red 6, you could special summon all level 3, 4, and 5 Pendulum Monsters that you have.

When they die, they are sent to the Extra Deck rather than the gy.

Personally, I feel bad for their balancer on this one!
    I believe you can only do this summon once a turn. Also though, there is the unanswered question, if your extra deck is full (you already have 15 cards in it), where do your Pendulum Monsters go, still the extra deck? or graveyard?

Also Nachyo I think it does not have to be only Pendulum monsters that can be summoned from the hand, but any monsters, and that the "Pendulum only" stipulation comes in when trying to summon from the Extra Deck.

Like Nachyo said, when Pendulum monsters would go to the grave, they are sent to the Extra Deck faceup, and can be summoned again using Pendulum Summoning from the Extra Deck.

I completely agree with you Nachyo, this is going to be hell to balance.
    Currently a finalist in the WULVEN APPRENTICE and will happily take any support I can get from you guys

PFG Member

Shadow Era Champion for Orlando/Sanford Florida!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Balance is a laughable joke in yugioh anyway.... Just make all super rares OP, then ban them a month later. Done!
    Mip - Keeper of the Eternal Flame -
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Mip1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Also, what did you think of the rule changes?:
    1. First turn player doesn't draw a card
    2. Both player's can have field spells now
    Currently a finalist in the WULVEN APPRENTICE and will happily take any support I can get from you guys

PFG Member

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowRyou
    Also, what did you think of the rule changes?:
    1. First turn player doesn't draw a card
    2. Both player's can have field spells now
    I guess that first one kinda makes it more like Shadow Era, where T1 players doesn't draw and gains no SE. Here, no draw, and no attacking if you go first. Although in Yu-Gi-Oh! I've never really had a problem with the T1 player drawing.

The second change is weird. Two field spells at the same time? Why? How? So my half of the field can support my guys, and yours will support your guys? Can you imagine how weird this will look for the anime as well, as each player's field looks different. Just kinda non-sensical. A field covers the whole thing. Doesn't make sense to an ocean field on one side and a fire field on the other at the same time.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."

Member of PFG3
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    What is the extra deck exactly? I've played a few gameboy advance games and I still have no idea what the extra deck is supposed to be. Is that where you place all your fusion cards (or cards like fusion?)?
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi
    What is the extra deck exactly? I've played a few gameboy advance games and I still have no idea what the extra deck is supposed to be. Is that where you place all your fusion cards (or cards like fusion?)?
    The Extra Deck was originally just called the Fusion Deck, but when card types like Synchros and XYZs were added to the game it became called the Extra Deck and those cards where stored there too. I'd assume these Pendulum cards go in your Main Deck normally and would only go the Extra Deck when destroyed, as otherwise there'd be no way to draw them to even place them in the Pendulum Zones to Pendulum summon in the first place.

Also as for ShadowRyou wondering of what happens if your Extra Deck already has 15 cards in it, I'd have to imagine they will be increasing how many cards you can place in your Extra Deck, or that these Pendulum monsters won't count toward the amount in the Extra Deck when placed there this way.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."

Member of PFG3
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    Yes, its where Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz monsters are placed. You can only place 15 cards in your extra deck when constructing the deck, and they are not treated as being in the deck, meaning you can summon them at any time when you fulfill their requirements.

Fusion Monsters: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Fusion_Monster
    Synchro Monsters: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Synchro_Monster
    Xyz Monsters: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Xyz_Monster

(and now we have Pendulum Monsters, who start off in the main deck and transition to the extra deck when sent to the graveyard, hence my confusion)
    Pendulum Monsters: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pendulum_Monster

Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    The Extra Deck was originally just called the Fusion Deck, but when card types like Synchros and XYZs were added to the game it became called the Extra Deck and those cards where stored there too. I'd assume these Pendulum cards go in your Main Deck normally and would only go the Extra Deck when destroyed, as otherwise there'd be no way to draw them to even place them in the Pendulum Zones to Pendulum summon in the first place.

Also as for ShadowRyou wondering of what happens if your Extra Deck already has 15 cards in it, I'd have to imagine they will be increasing how many cards you can place in your Extra Deck, or that these Pendulum monsters won't count toward the amount in the Extra Deck when placed there this way.
    I'm hoping for the latter, but we will see I suppose

PFG Member