Close

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

What do you think is over/underpowered in SF?

And how would you fix it?

Personally:

Heroes:
    Tala- weak but playable. Just has a lot of bad matchups.
    Raikka- weak and frankly there seems little reason to choose her over any other mage. With shadow allies she can't even rush well. When frostmare was -2 cost to cast was probably a lot more viable. OFC -2 cost frostmare would make rush zaladar more unbalanced. I think her ability needs some kind of further tweak perhaps also making enemy allies who take fire damage ablaze.
    Skervox- Also seems on the week side of the spectrum, but playable. Against solo decks (including mage solo or mage rush) he is absolutely awful which further weakens him. His ability is fine, but there needs to be some item/ability to function as an SE sink against solo decks where your ability and the shadow fonts he tends to bring are completely useless.
    Ythan- Underpowered at present, probably playable and I can't think of a tweak that wouldn't potentially send him to being overpowered.
    Loest- a bit meh but certainly playable. Change his ability to "killed/destroyed and exiled". It doesn't fit the concept that he can destroy Aeon but not a lowly spirit warden.

Rothem + Loest- both are a bit lacking in power (assuming desperate tactics gets nerfed) albeit playable. As legendary heroes it would be very nice if they both had access to something else unique be it an item, ability or ally. Ideally this would be some kind of minor effect on their respective armours. E.g. Loest takes one less damage from Loests burden and Rothems armour has +1 durability when worn by Rothem. Or the armours cost one less resource to summon.

The rest of the heroes seem to be fairly decent.

Tribes:
    Ravager tribe is in dire need of help still. The lack of a decent T2 ally in the tribe is a big issue. If you place an item T1 then if you use it for spitfire hound you won;t be able to use it for ravager zealot the following turn and ravager alone cannot kill any decent 3CC allies. Up spitfires attack to 2 or allow it some kind of resource acceleration (items cost one less to play) or have it turn into an item if it uses its ability (in a similar manner to an ally affected by baleful transmogrification).
    Templar tribe- very good in preist decks. Definitely playable outside of them as well.
    Undead- perfectly good trible.
    Twilight tribe- almost good enough. Twilight Eidolon is the issue here. Personally I would change it to "if you have two twilight allies, draw a card- costs 1 durability. Total durability 3. Activated ability: 0 se- whena friendly twilight ally is killed it is returned to play and twilight eidlon is destroyed.

Individual cards:

Desperate tactics- desperately needs a nerf.
    Ascetic of Aldmor- great if going second. A waste if going first so basically too situational to include in a deck at present. I'd sugest making him a 1/1 or 0/3
    Zailen Crusader- overpowered. Great fun and opens up so many options that I wouldn't want to take away the attachment love. At the same time, I don't make a human deck without 4 of her. Change to a 2/4 ally or reduce cost of attachments by 1.
    Growing Bog Dweller- I've given him a few tries but just not seeing the joy. I'd reduce the ability cost to 0 similar to Knight of Unaxio. Whereas knight can consume spare abilities you don't need, bog dweller either needs you to have extra resources to play fodder to be killed or to reduce your board presence. Sure occasionally you might have some crippled ally, but then you probably wlready have other options for dealing with that.
    Infernus- never seen this dude survive to be of any use except once through a portal (in which case I'd still rather have scourge). I'd change him to 5/7
    Plightbred runt- the effect just isn't worth including him andd he is a piss poor T1 drop. If he was a 1/2 then firesnake would be pointless. I'd make his discarding more useful such as +2 attack to ONE ally.
    Fatebreak familiar- his passive is too much a two edged sword atm. In particular in many cases I would rather he suck up that crippling blow/ poisoned arrow/ consuming fear so I can recall him to hand or get a smack in if he survives the poison. Also these abilities can easily be brought back later by their heroes anyway. If his passive is changed to "that ability has no effect, is exiled and fatebreak familiar is killed". This minor change would mean he could then be a useful ally.
    Thunderstone Golem: even in a nish deck with discarding, shock conductor and lightning strike he is insanely awkward to play and even then phoenix is probably still better. change to a 2/5 or 3/4 3CC ally. It would be really nice if Nish could be a more competitive mage when running allies and this could make that happen.
    Evolving abomination- Also not quite good enough. Even in an aramia deck set up to boost allies he just lacks authority on the board compared to any other 3CC ally. From 4 resources on he often didn't get a boost at all. Lovely idea, needs a +1 boost to either attack or health though.

Generally I think most things in this set are fairly well balanced. There are some attachments and abilities I can't really see being used outside of meltdown but other than that only the mage and ravager tribe allies stand out as needing help.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fionn Maccumhail View Post
    When frostmare was -2 cost to cast was probably a lot more viable.
    What?

Was this a thing?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shadow was always weaker than human but now it seems to be getting even worse. Shadow faction as a whole needs some help imo.

edit: don't buff the elemental tho
    Last edited by Vyz; 02-08-2014 at 03:19 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    What?

Was this a thing?
    In the early spoiler streams and spoilers frostmare cost -2 resources to cast if it met the same condition.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyz View Post
    Shadow was always weaker than human but now it seems to be getting even worse. Shadow faction as a whole needs some help imo.

edit: don't buff the elemental tho
    I agree.

Shadow seems to learn more on more powerful mid-late game cards. Like Infernus, Scourge Colosuss, Flameborn Defiler etc.

Inversely, Humans seem to have the stronger early game allies.

I would like to see this gap closed.

Only issue I can see people having with a stronger Shadow early game is Banebow. But this can be managable once people adapt to it. There also have been a lot of new 5 HP 3cc drops as of late so his execution abilities have been hit just a bit.
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fionn Maccumhail View Post
    In the early spoiler streams and spoilers frostmare cost -2 resources to cast if it met the same condition.
    Alright

I'll write a more in-detail post later whenever I feel like it but people mostly know what I think of things.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

What do you think is over/underpowered in SF?

Agree there is some weaknesses but tala is pretty good. She can do things that Boris can't. She is one of the better new heroes. Although on paper she seems bad, but she plays well.

Another strong new hero is Ythan. In a rush haste deck he can be pretty strong. Very dangerous hero but can be weakened by brax soldier.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Twilight Eidolon is the issue here. Personally I would change it to "if you have two twilight allies, draw a card- costs 1 durability. Total durability 3. Activated ability: 0 se- whena friendly twilight ally is killed it is returned to play and twilight eidlon is destroyed

+1

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Tala - I thought she was decent.

Raikka - So far I find the ability meh. The picture also doesn't seem to fit, it looks like she is doing both fire in one hand and ice in the other but her ability only works on fire. Fire is the most prevalent of the special damage types while Ice shows up more in this set with Shadow allies.

Skervox - There are cards that he can use SE for though some have allies as targets.

Ythan, Loest - not sure about.

Rothem - underpowered? He got a buff recently.

I actually find the bit about the armors good, making them do less to the named Heroes.

Ravager - still putting some data together but Ravager currently has the smallest ally pool (6) of the 4 Tribes. Undead has the most (11), Templar next (8), Twilight third (7). This does not count class specific allies such as the Priest Templars or Warrior Yari.

Spitfire Hound - I would trade stats with Fatebeak Familiar. The ability of Fatebeak is good, so good it may well replace Puwen in Mage decks.

Cleric of the Asyn - I think a third cc3 in Ravager is not needed. Change it to cc2 and drop stats leaving its ability alone. Now you have 2 cc2 and 2 cc3 with a reason to play Bloodstained Marauder.

Twilight Eidolon - the problem is you want 2 activated abilities on one card, never seen that done. I would rather see some effect kick in when an ally is killed other than keeping it alive, they seem designed to die.

Desperate Tactics - would removing the extra 2 damage be enough.

EDIT - Forgot Twilight Shaman. I have never seen or tried to use it, it seems too fragile and the ability too weak. Human already has Nurturing Spring for the same benefit and given the self-destructive nature of Twilight, why have a fragile cc2 give a +1 health boost? Perhaps Shaman holds the fix for Eidolon, give part of Eidolon's ability to Shaman and maybe adjust stats for cc2 to fit then fix the other part of Eidolon thus making both useful.
    Last edited by Storknest; 02-09-2014 at 03:01 AM. Reason: added Twilight Shaman opinion
    There are times I'll make up words and slip them into conversations just to see if anyone is actually protempifying to what I'm saying. - I'm not normal

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think raven's gambit is too strong, especially combined with victor.

I'm a bit disappointed by the templar tribe. A non templar Threbin deck is doing better than a full templar set... too bad.

What I like about this set is that we see new deck archetypes, bringing more diversity.