Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

So, MtG: Born of the Gods is here

Or at least it's going to be here in 4 days.

In other news, Modern got a pretty massive change: Deathrite Shaman is banned while both Bitterblossom and Wild Nacatl are unbanned, active on 7th of February.

So yeah, my apologies if I'm not going to play Shadow Era that actively for a week or two, I need to figure out two MtG formats.

Do any of the people here have some cool Standard brews going on for the first few months of the new set? Personally I'm looking forward to brewing Standard decks that aren't boring as fuck to play.

How does the Modern change and what kind of decks do you guys see in the future of the format? The price of Bitterblossom got approximately tripled because of the unban but I don't really see the card having that big of an impact.

I would love to play a midrange/control deck with Bitterblossom, Lingering Souls, other good things and equipment but I don't really see that working with Emrakul flying around and infinite comboes being a massive threat.

I also lost in the prerelease to a deck that had a grand total of ~two cards from Born of the Gods, the white Archetype and the other I don't remember. The deck did, however, have three Wingsteed Riders, two Voyage's Ends, 1-2 Phalanx Leaders, at least two Battlewise Hoplites, an Ordeal of Thassa and a massive fuck ton of combat tricks and bestow guys.

Wasn't exactly pleasant.
    Last edited by Airact; 02-03-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I've bought a few boxes of the last 5 or 6 MTG sets, but haven't opened most of them because I'm too busy to sort them and have no time to play with them. So I didn't buy any Born of the Gods, and I put the money towards the deposit on a new car instead.

Hope you have fun with it though.

p.s. I just discovered Shadow Era has a reddit page. I assume there's one for MTG. You might get some better responses over there.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've been out of the game for a while, but I can see why Deathrite was banned. Res acceleration, damage and heal in one card! (Plus the casting cost is ridiculously low).
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'm tempted to play MtG again if not it was to my last standard deck, well spent just had to rotate out (Grixis Control) and it was quite costly to assemble it. I might try to get into Modern though.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the last time MTG for real was around the release of Avacyn Restored. I was primarily a standard player, at that time the meta was like 90% Delver but I took a really meta'd solar flare list deep in a couple tournaments. I wish I could give you advice but the mile long banned list in modern always bothered me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preybird
    Outlaw you are one sick son of a b****. I approve
    Quote Originally Posted by Solomon69
    Ahahahah you're such an evil (and creative) human being Outl4w!!!
    Join me in the fight for maintaining the freedom of the deranged and enlightend. Be an Outl4w!

“An outlaw can be defined as somebody who lives outside the law, beyond the law and not necessarily against it.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As a casual player of both games (SE & MTG), all I have to say about this topic is that I'm still in awe of Shipbreaker from the Theros intro set. I love that damn thing...
    No animals were harmed in the making of this sig... I tried, but that damn monkey was way too fast.

IGN: Disturbed Animal

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    I've bought a few boxes of the last 5 or 6 MTG sets, but haven't opened most of them because I'm too busy to sort them and have no time to play with them. So I didn't buy any Born of the Gods, and I put the money towards the deposit on a new car instead.

p.s. I just discovered Shadow Era has a reddit page. I assume there's one for MTG. You might get some better responses over there.
    We have a Reddit page?!
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos Dark View Post
    We have a Reddit page?!
    That's my reaction as well o.O

Guess I should check it out.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post

Decided to poke a bit to find if there are any players here. Yes, I know there's a reddit page for Magic and no, it doesn't make me hate reddit any less.

Born of the Gods has to be on-par with Dragon's Maze for the most useless and worthless set of cardboard like ever (nothing beats Homelands but this is pretty close). There are like five (non-land) good cards in the entire set.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    @OP: Why would combo be a bad match-up? Black has things like IoK and Thoughtseize and assuming that you have both Blitterstorm and Lingering Souls, it pretty much is a huge part of the deck anyway.