Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Decoy Trap vs. Death Trap

Built a Hunter deck to try some thing out and encountered this against the AI Gwen. (Why on the Test server do Human Heroes play against Human AIs while the AI is Shadow on the Live one?) I played a Decoy Trap then dropped an Ally.
    AI Gwen had a Death Trap out, it tried to kill my ally but Decoy Trap activated and neutralized Death Trap letting the Ally get played.
    Is this intentional? Death Trap doesn't say it does damage, it just kills. Decoy Trap says it reduces damage to 0.
    There are times I'll make up words and slip them into conversations just to see if anyone is actually protempifying to what I'm saying. - I'm not normal

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think it's intentional, killing means dealing damage.
    IGN: TJ Scout
    Telegram: @shubham1309

"Scout is a hacker we should report him" - SK Trinolcour

Team Juggernauts Recruitment Thread

Link to TJ forum
    IRC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Basically, any effect that kills an ally is considered to deal lethal damage to that ally. So like when a Tidal Wave is played, it essentially does enough damage to each ally to kill them.

So in your case, Death Trap tries to do lethal damage to your ally in order to kill it, but Decoy Trap reduces this damage to 0, letting the ally survive.

It's a bit of an unclear ruling I know, but this is the way it works apparently.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tman507 View Post
    Basically, any effect that kills an ally is considered to deal lethal damage to that ally. So like when a Tidal Wave is played, it essentially does enough damage to each ally to kill them.

So in your case, Death Trap tries to do lethal damage to your ally in order to kill it, but Decoy Trap reduces this damage to 0, letting the ally survive.

It's a bit of an unclear ruling I know, but this is the way it works apparently.
    Yes. It's the same case as in an ally survives a Tidal Wave when it has a Holy Shield attached to it.
    IGN: TJ Scout
    Telegram: @shubham1309

"Scout is a hacker we should report him" - SK Trinolcour

Team Juggernauts Recruitment Thread

Link to TJ forum
    IRC

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Is Here
    Yes. It's the same case as in an ally survives a Tidal Wave when it has a Holy Shield attached to it.
    Holy Shield is actually much more clear in wording though, as it actually directly says "can't be killed". Celestial Armor is an example of another more confusing one, as it says the ally doesn't take damage, which winds up also preventing it from being killed. If I remember correctly, Celestial Armor did actually say "can't be killed" instead of "damage is reduced to 0" at one point, then they changed it. It effectively actually makes Celestial Armor a bit stronger by making the ally take no damage at all (as opposed to original wording where it could take damage up to being killed), but also makes it confusing for those who don't know the ruling on what constitutes "kill" in this game.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."

Member of PFG3
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Interesting, would that also affect Exiled, say Snare Trap vs Decoy Trap? Or is Exiled not related to damage.
    There are times I'll make up words and slip them into conversations just to see if anyone is actually protempifying to what I'm saying. - I'm not normal

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Storknest
    Interesting, would that also affect Exiled, say Snare Trap vs Decoy Trap? Or is Exiled not related to damage.
    Hmmm, not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure exiled doesn't involve damage. For example when an ally is killed with something that insta-kills it, the little red damage number floats up next to it, this doesn't happen with an exiled card.
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."

Member of PFG3
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There is no damage involved with Exiling, so Decoy Trap wouldn't be involved in any way.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    OK then, so ANYTHING that says Killed can be stopped by Decoy Trap? If so, this can be a VERY good card against Boris, Logan, Tidal Wave, etc.

What if you apply the kill effect yourself? Say, use Sacrificial Lamb, Decoy Trap protects the target ally and you get the card draw? The effects are 2 different sentences indicating you don't need to do the first to get the second, unlike the effect of Magma Jackal for comparison where it is one sentence separated by a comma so the first is needed for the second to go off.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    #Funny is Decoy trap with Twilight. :-)
    Use ability from Twilight orppunaist with decoy trap.
    It will not die at the end and the 3 damage will stay.
    Next time you use the ability it has 6 attack :-)
    “Let’s show Kira…that the good guys always win.”
    The L of A1 - Evolution in Theory