Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by MrNice View Post
    read again

ofc diablo is better than bg.
    A little fast on the typing.... My bad...
    Geckt - The Midnight Hunter
    Ign:BP Geckt
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn
    1st in Meet and Beat Meltdown Physical Tournament
    Our Guild Recruitment Thread

FAQs For New Players
    SE digital foil Trading Group

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    yea... hence why I usually say Diablo 2 lol (Just used Diablo here in generic form, since the series was created in response to classic cRPG elements and combined them with action game elements - a simplification and streamlining)

Baldur's Gate I use as a comparison of the genre because it's one of the higher quality examples of the complex evolution of the cRPG genre into the realms of the aRPG that occurred in the mid-90s ... all remaining subsets of what is called "western RPGs" [or more accurately player driven RPGs vs eastern RPGs which are primarily character driven RPGs, in storyteller vs roleplayer type of divisions] - I was just trying to make it as simple of a comparison as possible lol.

This comparison is fairly similar... since Hearthstone really is coming in at the 'rise' of the dCCG genre, they are essentially creating their "action equivalent" - they openly state they will be avoiding things such as counters/mill for the most part, which will lead to a much more action oriented aggressive, and to some extent, "simple" game. There's a lot of stirring in this genre (much like there was in the cRPG genre in the late-80s/mid-90s that spawned games like Diablo, Fallout, BG, etc. towards the peak)

I'm curious where it will lead... but my gut instinct is telling me Blizzard is on to something with Hearthstone, much like they were with Diablo... and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 3-way divergence in the dCCG/dTCG market - Action, Tactics, and Classic.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am giving this a shot. If you want you can add me as Veles#2269
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyz View Post
    Ehh.. I was so looking forward to this game, but it turns out it's crap.
    this

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    finally got around to playing beta. kind of fund, but the strategy is definitely lacking compared to this game

it looks honestly like they borrowed more than a few ideas from shadow era, which is fair game IMO. SE certainly owes a lot to WOWtcg. i hope wulven won't shy away from returning the favor and looking to the slick ui and gameplay features for inspiration. the amount of people that hearthstone is going to introduce to the genre is very good news. the idea of unlocking cards and heros on an achievement tract is far more inviting for new players. the UI is fun, and the hero xp (which i believe shadow era has something similar planned) is extremely smart. leveling up (the ding) is something that keeps people interested. once you get to a certain level in SE, the 25 shadow crystals you get every few months are a joke. the hearthstone tutorial is near perfect to get people started, although admittedly there's not much to learn.

in short, i can see myself getting sick of hearthstone rather soon, but i could also more easily see people checking it out on a recommendation. shadow era is an intimidating pool of cards and concepts to jump into. it's even easy to even get overwhelmed by all the new cards in an expansion. the way i see it:

priority #1 for shadow era is introducing the new set to keep the vast majority of whiny bitches in this community from crying too loud and starting a forum riot (because they are 19, unemployed potheads, and have no idea how r&d works). priority #2 is to make the game friendly to casual and new gamers. make an enjoyable single player experience that will help people get comfortable and learn the major concepts and lore. pour resources into a spruced up UI to keep yourself from looking cheap and dated, by all means, but that is not as important as building a welcome mat to bring in new blood.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    There is actually one mechanic I wish SE would take from Hearthstone: Board Position based effects.

Sure, old allies wouldn't show any of these effects, but it would definitely be something good to add into the expansion to add a dynamic... In the end though, definitely have to agree with hugedeck - Hearthstone really lacks in any long-term appeal. It's a fun time-burner, and it is very much a "blizzardized TCG" - designed for the 'jump in, jump out' kind of player and the fanboys - not hardcore TCG/CCG enthusiasts. (though SE isn't designed for the hardcore either, it's more the 'more than casual, less than pro' group)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I have been playing for nearly a week and I agree with the other posters that playing in constructed is not going to be interesting for long mainly due the small card pool.

But the game is not about constructed the fun is in Arena , its similar to meltdown but you keep playing the same deck until you reach a max of 12 wins or you loose 3 times, you are paired with players with your same win/loose ratio and the more wins the better the reward, I think that doing this in SE would allow way more fun in this kind of format.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've hit rank 19 on ranked without spending a dime on this game. More wins than I would have hoped to get. XD
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyMouser View Post
    I have been playing for nearly a week and I agree with the other posters that playing in constructed is not going to be interesting for long mainly due the small card pool.

But the game is not about constructed the fun is in Arena , its similar to meltdown but you keep playing the same deck until you reach a max of 12 wins or you loose 3 times, you are paired with players with your same win/loose ratio and the more wins the better the reward, I think that doing this in SE would allow way more fun in this kind of format.
    Agreed, which is why I can't wait for meltdown tournaments. Not exactly the same as this, but at least I could use the deck for longer than a single match, like I do in physical.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Love this game, constructed sucks though(got to 6 during closed beta before I realized this), not much incentive to play it so its pretty stale. But like it was mentioned above arena is damn good. Since the gold income is limited you feel like there is an actual stake on the line - if you lose too quick you don't have enough gold to play again. Have gotten to maximum(12 wins) only twice so far, it feels really good once you get that far cause not only are your rewards awesome, but you also have a sense of "I fucking did it".

My tag is - Primate#2740, if anybody wants to fuck around. Playing on EU atm, might play on US later as well.
    Embrace The Catnip