Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Hero Neutering in SF

Take a look at this card...

Curse of the Aldmor Neutral Ability Attachment 2 Attach to target ally. That ally has Sustain 1SE.

So, moral of the story here is that if your opponent doesn't have a way to kill or retreat his/her own ally there is a relatively easy way to make sure their hero doesn't gain shadow energy on their turn. Currently, most strategies do not carry cards that can kill or retreat their own allies. This strategy might force more to.

If you are a warrior all you need is to cast Crippling Blow and Curse of the Aldmor on the same ally.

Elementals can use Captured Prey and Curse of the Aldmor to the same effect.

Raven, Ankle Breaker, Marshland Sentinel, Punishers Gauntlets (I'm sure there are more) also can be used to potentially permanently disable allies that could remain on the field and be targets for Curse of the Aldmor.

So.. basically for 4-5 resources you are casting a bodiless Priest of the Light every turn. Amber and Dark Claw could be good using this (especially in combo with Jewelers Dream). Vess Swfthands could be crazy effective using this.
    Love always looks for the best, never looks back, and keeps going until the end. Love is not self seeking. Love doesn't keep track of others wrongs. Love is patient and kind; isn't proud or rude; not easily angered; does not delight in evil; always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. All who learn from the Father come to ___.

Love rejoices in the truth.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Shadow has access to Sac Lamb. I see that in many Shadow Decks due to its utility. Don't think that may change.

Plus, some of the SF Decks that some of my fellow guildmates shared on our guild forums included Road Less Traveled.

Plus, there is Almdor Accelerator so SE acceleration for everybody. The Meta will shift dramatically come SF so we need to see how well this card truely does before jumping to conclusions.
    I like my weapons how I like my music. Heavy and metal!
    -Mordekaiser

Writer of Falseblood Cultist and Thriss Crucible flavor texts.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by True Life View Post
    Take a look at this card...

Curse of the Aldmor Neutral Ability Attachment 2 Attach to target ally. That ally has Sustain 1SE.

So, moral of the story here is that if your opponent doesn't have a way to kill or retreat his/her own ally there is a relatively easy way to make sure their hero doesn't gain shadow energy on their turn. Currently, most strategies do not carry cards that can kill or retreat their own allies. This strategy might force more to.

If you are a warrior all you need is to cast Crippling Blow and Curse of the Aldmor on the same ally.

Elementals can use Captured Prey and Curse of the Aldmor to the same effect.

Raven, Ankle Breaker, Marshland Sentinel, Punishers Gauntlets (I'm sure there are more) also can be used to potentially permanently disable allies that could remain on the field and be targets for Curse of the Aldmor.

So.. basically for 4-5 resources you are casting a bodiless Priest of the Light every turn. Amber and Dark Claw could be good using this (especially in combo with Jewelers Dream). Vess Swfthands could be crazy effective using this.
    Keep in mind if you spend your SE and get it to zero you can't pay the sustain cost and the ally will die along with the attachment. There are ways outside of a hero's ability to spend SE as well. There is still normal attachment removal or cards like A Legend Rises and Superfocus to either destroy or negate the effect respectively. There are also other bounce cards that exist now too such as Slingblade Demon for example. Not to mention the things Kaos Dark mentioned.

Despite all of this, to see if its really broken (which it could be, the possibility always exists. I'm not trying to say you're wrong here or anything, just trying to show you that the situation is not as simple as you may think) the best thing to do is to try it out when the beta starts.
    Last edited by Demnchi; 01-12-2014 at 03:53 AM.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Demnchi View Post
    Keep in mind if you spend your SE and get it to zero you can't pay the sustain cost and the ally will die along with the attachment. There are ways outside of a hero's ability to spend SE as well. There is still normal attachment removal or cards like A Legend Rises and Superfocus to either destroy or negate the effect respectively. Not to mention the things Kaos Dark mentioned.

Despite all of this, to see if its really broken (which it could be, the possibility always exists. I'm not trying to say you're wrong here or anything, just trying to show you that the situation is not as simple as you may think) the best thing to do is to try it out when the beta starts.
    The attachment would die if my SE got to zero, not the ally (the ally still would have health). Still if I have 1 SE I'll never be able to get my SE to zero in many circumstances so it could loop forever. You have a good point though. I don't think the card is broken necessarily, just will change the meta a lot potentially.
    Last edited by True Life; 01-12-2014 at 03:58 AM.
    Love always looks for the best, never looks back, and keeps going until the end. Love is not self seeking. Love doesn't keep track of others wrongs. Love is patient and kind; isn't proud or rude; not easily angered; does not delight in evil; always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. All who learn from the Father come to ___.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If u have 1 se u can play shadow font to get to 4. I don't see this card getting much play. It doesn't help the board at all and u can still sac your ally Into another one if u have too. I see this as an annoyance more then anything.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by True Life View Post
    The attachment would die if my SE got to zero, not the ally (the ally still would have health). Still if I have 1 SE I'll never be able to get my SE to zero in many circumstances so it could loop forever. You have a good point though. I don't think the card is broken necessarily, just will change the meta a lot potentially.
    The attachment applies the Sustain keyword to the ally, so if it can't be paid the ally is the one who will be destroyed. At least, that is how I understand it. Perhaps we should ask mojumbo to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvan Antoine View Post
    If u have 1 se u can play shadow font to get to 4. I don't see this card getting much play. It doesn't help the board at all and u can still sac your ally Into another one if u have too. I see this as an annoyance more then anything.
    While I agree, I will say that an SE lock down isn't exactly weak either. Like many combos like this, its all a matter of if it can stick or not, but when it does its pretty effective.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I suppose in the right situation it can be good but a little too situational I think.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvan Antoine View Post
    Singblade Demon is a great counter and a card many Shadow heroes will run. So it seems the strategy might be more effective against human heroes in general. Could definitely win a game if it wasn't countered though. Especially with Vess when it could be thrown out there for 0 resources on turn 3 after he activated his ability. Basically Vess would lose 1 extra card for a 30% + chance to have an extremely strong edge in winning the match (if it isn't countered). If Vess played a Bad Santa on that turn it would negate the card loss as well so it really wouldn't hurt his tempo much (and force a response from his opponent if he had one even if it wouldn't normally be his best play). Basically puts a lot of pressure on the opponent without much risk.
    Last edited by True Life; 01-12-2014 at 04:18 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Failed to mention that humans have twilight tribe. Those guys are designed to die. Mages have nova. Priests, tidal wave. It seems kind of gimmicky to me. Shadow have dww. Theres Oggie. Soooo many counters to this, i agree that it will be more of an annoyance than a game breaker.
    IGN A1 WrathOfCroft

The Unique Never Assimilate

plo
    Curse of the Aldmor might be a decent card with Vess, but besides him I don't think it is very useful