Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lightbulb New Stretch Goal Suggestion - Individual Card Achievements

Here are a few features I would really like to see:

Individual Card Achievements

Each card has specific achievements and when they are completed an alternate artwork version of the card is unlocked (this could be yet another alt artwork from the current ones). All achievements must be completed in ranked games (not custom games or AI games).

Ex. Jasmine
    Achievement 1: Kill 150 allies with this card.
    Achievement 2: Disable 75 allies with this card's ability.
    Achievement 3: Have this card take 20 damage in one game without dying.

Ex. Fireball
    Achievement 1: Kill 150 allies with this card.
    Achievement 2: Deal 500 damage to heroes with this card.
    Achievement 3: Use this card to no effect 40 times.

Ex. Bad Santa
    Achievement 1: Draw 300 cards with this card.
    Achievement 2: Draw 3 cards while the opponent gains 1 or less cards, 100 times.
    Achievement 3: Deal 300 mill damage with this card (to your hero or your opponent's).

Ex. Selfishness
    Achievement 1: Use this card on an ally with protector 100 times.
    Achievement 2: Use this card on an ally with defender 50 times.
    Achievement 3: Win 30 games with this card on the board.

If this done Shadow Era will be insanely fun as people will be trying to unlock 4 copies of every single card's alternate artwork which will mean that they will spend a lot more time playing this game then they currently do and will be playing it with more diverse card sets. Some people will also be playing the game very strangely, risking their current winning position in the game to try and unlock the card's alternate artwork. This would also make each person's collection of cards infinitely more valuable as well as deeply personal and cards would be worth a varying amount on the auction house (unless you choose to wipe a cards stats clean when it's put on the Auction).

Player Achievements

I haven't put any thought into this yet, but it would be cool.

Some way to spend gold

This really shouldn't be something to unlock. I just have half a million gold and I want to spend it on something.
    Custom Card Design - Warlock Expansion

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    From the other thread:

+1 A great way to motivate people to play more, because relentless grind supported by current scoring system gets boring really quick. You will get players burn out after month or two and with slow development of new expansions they find themselves not having anything to do. And then leave. I think this is better than simple achievements like play x game and gain x gold, because:
    a) This require different way of approaching the game
    b) promotes play of underused cards
    c) It is more fun
    d) Getting alt art or foil as a reward may be more appealing than getting gold as reward for achievement.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I don't want to be a party pooper, but when I see ideas like this, the only thing I can think about are the decks filled with Bad Santa, Retreat and Selfihness who don't care about winning the game but just ranking up their card. I guess this would only be a problem at low level but still...

I guess you could make it so that only cards played in wins count but then you'd have even more people playing unnecessary cards at the end of their game and even more people mad at those conceding games early...
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Fou DeLile View Post
    I don't want to be a party pooper, but when I see ideas like this, the only thing I can think about are the decks filled with Bad Santa, Retreat and Selfihness who don't care about winning the game but just ranking up their card. I guess this would only be a problem at low level but still...

I guess you could make it so that only cards played in wins count but then you'd have even more people playing unnecessary cards at the end of their game and even more people mad at those conceding games early...

Well it all depends on the nature of the achievements. For example, one of the achievements for Selfishness could be that you need to win 30 games with the card on the board (see above). This would promote the use of the card in effective decks. No one is going to intentionally lose a game 100 times just to get alt art for one card (remember that's actually 400 times because you'll have 4 of the card in deck), people will try and use them in effective decks simply because they can play more of that card. Your suggestion of the achievements only counting in games that you win or draw is another way to combat that, although I don't think that's necessary.

I've seen this in concept added to other games with very successful outcomes including boost in the game's popularity, the diversity of play style in ranked games, and the feeling of personalization of the player's inventory.
    Last edited by Samzyn; 01-05-2014 at 09:31 PM.

plo
    I would have no problem with this, as long as it is confined to games against the AI. My reason is as follows>

As Samzyn has pointed out, they can be made in a way that makes players build good decks around them, as in the example he gave. But even so I don`t like the idea. From my experience with TCG there are 2 stereotipes of players, one does not care about flavor or fun and puts whatever card makes he win while the other disregards winning completely.

From my perspective this proposal would approach move players towards the second spectrum. It would make players who can make an unbeatble and unstoppable deck include cards that are not the best option, thus making a weakier deck and the game becoming less competitive.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is a stupidly good idea, and I think it will draw a lot of attention to SE. As for people playing suicide decks around getting these achievements, I wouldn't mind it, I'd be OK with any of my opponents throwing the game and giving me a win. I can see some issue if people make custom matches against alts or something, and gaming the system, but it'd be easy to restrict it against custom games.
    Last edited by plaidman; 01-06-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Any sort of achievement system will be a great addition to this game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by plo View Post
    I would have no problem with this, as long as it is confined to games against the AI.
    The idea is that it's only in competitive. Research shows that it adds diversity in play styles to the game (statistically provable from other games) which adds to the competitive aspects of the game in a large way. Right now I'm running a Jerry deck, a Logan deck, and a Moonstalker deck in the 300+ rank meta and I'm winning more often than not. I'm using cards which aren't the traditional "strongest" and still being competitive. The achievement system outlined above will increase the competitive aspects of shadow era and will help people move away from traditionally strong decks like Eladerp (which we can all agree is needed).

Quote Originally Posted by plaidman View Post
    This is a stupidly good idea, and I think it will draw a lot of attention to SE. As for people playing suicide decks around getting these achievements, I wouldn't mind it, I'd be OK with any of my opponents throwing the game and giving me a win.
    Thanks! If the achievements are well done the opponent won't have to throw a game to get them
    Last edited by Samzyn; 01-06-2014 at 05:06 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think that this is a good idea and would help create more playing of QM and not just the regular decks that are played.

I do agree that you don't necessarily need to win the game to get the benefits of the goal you were trying to accomplish but you should at least finish the game and not concede once its been achieved. Even if those would concede the player on the other end would most likely be ok with a win

The only question I would have for this is how would this be tracked? I mean if it is not accomplished in a single game and would take several games to do, how would you know if you have done it? Or how would you know what else you needed to do?

I too think that anything done in boosting achievements will benefit the games popularity, which is a good thing for everyone
    Proud Member of ETC Guild!
    Enjoying The Camaraderie

IGN: ETC SuperGrover

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I love the idea, but I I think the numbers are a bit high. For the Unlock of a single alt card it seems to be a lot of time that one would have to invest. I recommend going about 25% down, so people who dont like to play every day also have the chance to achieve an alt card without waiting half a year.
    BP Karlos4

Preceptor of Dice
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn