Close

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Skervox undead using anmors call and/or bounty should do well enough to bring it out early.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Weapons (almost done!)

1/1/1 Frying Pan -

In the fan fiction contest I wrote about campfire stories (I didn't make the top 5 cut). I had all ready planned out my next chapter, in it my main character, Jay, was going to use a Frying Pan to defend the Mage, Thomas. And lo and behold, a Frying Pan card has made the game. Great minds think alike, who knew?

I am not sure it'll see much play, but, I applaud the Design Team for including it.

5/5

2/2/1 Boooomerang - When Boooomerang deals combat damage, it is placed on the bottom of its owner's deck. 0SE: Your hero attacks the opposing ally with the highest cost if able.

I have yet to figure out the ability. I guess it's ok with Io Void Leviathan, but, I'm assuming there is more to it than that. Someone should explain it to me. But, this is a quick 2 damage that helps counter a mill deck, and that's probably good enough considering how heavily the meta is going to be Praxix for a while.

4/5

3/1/3 - Wooden Spear -

I think this should have been named sharp stick instead. Because it's about that exciting.

1/5

4/1/4 Griffoncrest Dagger - While you have fewer than 3 cards in your hand, Griffoncrest Dagger has +1 attack.

I guess it's marginally useful in a deck that's planning to burn through it's cards and not replace them.

2/5

5/2/3 Sword of Might -

Sword of Might be overcosted. I can't see this used anywhere but maybe meltdown. Even then it's bleh.

1/5

5/1/4 Looter's Baton - When your hero kills an ally in combat, draw a card.

This one I can see uses. Logan to get more out of his ability. Victor to finish off those 1 health allies. Zaladar to finish off those 4health allies. Its' got uses. Still I think it's going to be passed over for other options.

3/5

3/1/3 Dagger of Fate (M/E) - 0SE: If a card was discarded from anywhere this turn, Dagger of Fate has +2 attack until the end of your turn.

This is a pretty strong card. It's a way for non-Weapon heroes to get 3 damage out of a weapon. Combo's great with a Praxix. Gives you a nice way to take out those pesky Karash. I think it'll see quite a bit of play, in fact, I won't be surprised to see it get nerfed down to only dealing extra damage vs. Allies.

5.5/5 (could be nerfed)

3/2/2 Weevil-Tipped Crossbow (H/R) - When your hero deals combat damage to an opposing hero, that hero's weapons and armor lose 1 durability

I'm a guy that hates to include dedicated ID in a deck. I cringe wasting a spot on a Shriek or LLN. But, sometimes you have to do it. So, I love when you get options like this that are soft counters instead. You get a Rapid Fire going first and this is pretty damn good weapon and armor destruction. And a 2 damage weapon for 3cc isn't too shabby anyway. I like. I think it should take the place of FLB in most decks.

5/5

4/1/4 Pithing Spear (W/H) - When your hero kills an opposing ally in combat, your hero gains +1 shadow energy.

I Seems like a good card for Gwen, but, I haven't played her enough to know for sure. But, I think Victor will really like it. His ability, some Perfect Shots and this sets up a pretty reliable machine gun of ally removal. I could see Banebow and Skervox both appreciating it as well. Heck, even Logan. Just a lot of uses, should see play.

5/5

5/2/3 Rod of Smiting (W/P) - While you control a Templar ally, Rod of Smiting has +1 attack.

Terrific card, too bad the durability is so low. Seems like it was built for Threbin to use as a beatstick. Get this with Justicar Alysia in play and you can swing for 6 with your ability. It's a 2 card combo that should be fairly easy to get going post Wave.

4/5
    Last edited by Wes Davis; 01-08-2014 at 07:00 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    4/1/4 Darkforged Knife (M/E) - When Darkforged Knife deals combat damage and an ability activated with shadow energy has been used that turn, each opponent discards 2 cards from their deck.

I don't know. Seems to me that you'll be very lucky to get more than one discard out of this. So, you are paying 4 for your opponent to discard 2 cards from their deck. Seems like a poor return to me. I think this was just a waste of a card.

1/5

5/1/4 Bone Sabre (M/H) - Ambush. At the end of combat where an opposing ally was damaged by Bone Sabre, that ally is attacked by the friendly Undead ally with the highest attack if able.

A little conditional, but, when this works it's going to be amazing. Should fit in nicely with Gravebone I'd think.

5/5

5/2/4 War Flail (W/P) - Combat damage from your hero can't be prevented by ally or armor abilities.

Uprooted Tree's big brother. It's possible that it gets used simply for the 2 attack, but, I think there are better options out there.

3/5

5/2/4 Gromm's Whip (Wulven) - 1SE: Target ally takes 1 damage and has +2 attack until the end of your turn.

I must be a miser, but, I'm not willing to use my Shadow energy to damage my own allies. Even if it does grant them +2 attack. I'd rather get the extra attack some other way. If the activation cost had been in resource I might feel differently.

2/5

5/2/3 Thoughtripper's Cutlass (R/H) - When your hero kills an opposing ally in combat, that ally's controller discards a card from their hand at random.

All the Rogues and Hunters are going to like this card. Random discard is pretty strong. I think the Hunters will like it a little better because it's just so damn hard to move Ankle breaker out of rotation. I'm not saying it's easy to move SS or GD out, but, I think it's easier. Seems like a perfect fit for Gwen to me, letting it trigger more often and giving it more durability. She's gonna love this. If she adds a Nightprowler it's going to be a lot of topdecking for her opponent. (it's probably designed for Serena, but, I'm not sure she's going to like it more than some of the others)

5/5

6/1/5 Chains of Torment (R/Wulven) - When an opposing ally is killed, Chains of Torment gains +1 base attack.

Mornblade's big brother. A pretty good target for Pack an Extra. I've never seen Zoe Silversmith used effectively, but, maybe this card will make it worth a try. Yet another card I don't want to see Moonstalker using. Can you imagine how big this could get used with a Cresendo that goes off? I'm getting very worried that Moonstalker is going to be tier -1 after this set.

4/5

4/1/4 - Spirit Shuriken (H/R) - 1SE: If there are at least 3 opposing allies in play, target opposing ally is killed.

Lance/Raven/Marshland Sentinal/Chains of Torment. Good luck with your allies.

3/5

4/1/4 Flameforged Scepter (M/E) - 1SE: Until the end of your turn, Flameforged Scepter has +1 attack and deals fire damage, and opposing allies that take combat damage from it are set ablaze.

A cheaper Wrath of Summer. Seems like a better fit for Shadow Heroes with Shadow Font to offset the loss of SE.

3/5

6/2/5 Lythian Sledgehammer (W/Wulven) - When your hero kills an opposing ally in combat, that ally is exiled and its controller takes 1 damage.

Love it. Great with Darkclaw. Great with Amber. Good with Logan. I think I like it best with Amber, with her ability to cycle weapons. It would be fun Vs. Priest to eventually remove every ally they have from the game before the rage quit. (Well, fun for you)

5/5

7/2/4 Emore Crossbow (H) - Opposing allies that enter combat with your hero take 1 fire damage and are set ablaze.

About time Baduruu gets a card. This effectively hits for 4 damage vs. Allies (and more over time). On turn 4 that's amazing. Say goodbye to just about any ally you wanted to run. Did the DT think this through??

6/5 (on my nerf watch list)
    Last edited by Wes Davis; 01-08-2014 at 06:51 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Davis;459772
    6/1/5 [B
    Chains of Torment[/B](R/Wulven) - When an opposing ally is killed, Chains of Torment gains +1 base attack.

Mornblade's big brother. A pretty good target for Pack an Extra. I've never seen Zoe Silversmith used effectively, but, maybe this card will make it worth a try. Yet another card I don't want to see Moonstalker using. Can you imagine how big this could get used with a Cresendo that goes off? I'm getting very worried that Moonstalker is going to be tier -1 after this set.

4/5

4/1/4 - Chains of Torment (H/R) - 1SE: If there are at least 3 opposing allies in play, target opposing ally is killed.

Lance/Raven/Marshland Sentinal/Chains of Torment. Good luck with your allies.

3/5
    The second one is "Spirit Shuriken" or am I wrong? But thanks for your good discription of these cards

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just curious, you rank the cards according to what? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

DP Visionary
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Davis View Post
    2/2/1 Boooomerang - When Boooomerang deals combat damage, it is placed on the bottom of its owner's deck. 0SE: Your hero attacks the opposing ally with the highest cost if able.

I have yet to figure out the ability. I guess it's ok with Io Void Leviathan, but, I'm assuming there is more to it than that. Someone should explain it to me. But, this is a quick 2 damage that helps counter a mill deck, and that's probably good enough considering how heavily the meta is going to be Praxix for a while.

4/5
    Boooomerang can allow your hero to attack multiple times in one turn.

For example, you have a Jeweler's Dream with 1 durability already in play at the start of your turn. Your hero attacks an opposing ally with the JD, then you summon Boooomerang. By activating Boooomerang's shadow energy ability, your hero can attack again, even though it is exhausted. In this way, supposing you had 4 Boooomerangs in your hand and had 8 resources, you could have your hero attack with all of them in the same turn. If you do this, the drawback is that you can't choose who who to target with your attacks.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyz View Post
    Just curious, you rank the cards according to what? Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.
    Mostly it's my estimation of the perceived power and potential use of the card. Cards that I feel are strong and will be included in a lot of decks get a 5/5 rating. Sometimes they are strong cards but I feel like will only be seldom used for one reason or another they get a 4/5. 3/5 is generally a card that is just ok. It probably won't be included in top tier decks, but, folks will probably play around with it in lesser decks. 2/5 is just a poor card. There are better options out there to do the same thing at a similar cost. 1/5 is crap. Just filler cards. Cards that probably wont' see play in all but the strangest decks or possibly Meltdown.

Now, that's just generally speaking. I usually gave a card a 2/5 if I thought it had potential as a sideboard card, but, not much else.

I generally gave the card higher marks if I simply thought it was fun. If it may appeal to a power gamer. Cards that might be played despite not being the most efficient option available.

If a card opened up a new dimension I tried to give it high marks. (Something like Redux Channel that lets you do something entirely new)

Occasionallly I gave a card a score over 5. That was because I felt the card was OP and could use a little nerfing.

On a couple of occasions I gave a card a 0 score. Those cards were particularly disappointing, and my 0 was a call to the Design Team to consider buffing those cards.

So, it's was largely a subjective process. Mostly just based on how much I liked a card and would consider using it in the future.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    2/0/4 Twilight Opportunist - 0: Twilight Opportunist gains +3 base attack and is killed at the end of your turn.

I dunno. I guess if you follow it up with an Aldonicon it's a 2cc Fireballicon on a delay. I could see it getting a little run in an Eladwen Rush deck, but, beyond that I don't see it being better than teh other 2cc options.

1/5
    I believe this guy is one of the best 2cc drop for Aramia , even if you go second and your opponent drops puwen t2 , follow by Aldon , you can drop this guy on turn 2 , play Aldon , activate Opportunist's ability to deal 4 damage , enough to take down Aldon . Pull Ritualist's Headress from your asernal and bam ! , you have a 5/6 Aldon on turn 3 .

Also , this guy is the safest way for you you get a hasted Demetreyo on turn 3 .
    Last edited by ipoop245; 01-13-2014 at 04:49 AM.
    It's always good to go back to your previous achievement and realize how mediocre it was , because it means that you have improved a lot since that time

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    decent article, but I guess if you have been playing on the test server you realize some of the cards on the list are better than what was expected.

One thing that stuck out to me was the BloodFang at 0/5...aside from Vess and Skervox , B.fang rush is greater than aramia rush, laughs at praxix, smothers rakkia, ignores tala and any card with protector/hidden, bullies threbin, kills ythan, steps on garth, smacks loest, and is just too fast for Rothem right now.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by ipoop245 View Post
    I believe this guy is one of the best 2cc drop for Aramia , even if you go second and your opponent drops puwen t2 , follow by Aldon , you can drop this guy on turn 2 , play Aldon , activate Opportunist's ability to deal 4 damage , enough to take down Aldon . Pull Ritualist's Headress from your asernal and bam ! , you have a 5/6 Aldon on turn 3 .

Also , this guy is the safest way for you you get a hasted Demetreyo on turn 3 .
    Agreed, Heirloom also works for this and gets you cards immediately. With heirloo/aldon also nice for pinging down black garb.