Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Challenge - Building Cheap Decks for Starting & Grinding

Create 2 decks using the Cheap Man's Rules for Deckbuilding listed below.

Deck 1 - Starter

Take a 40 card starter deck and make a 30 card deck that can last as long as possible before needing to actually add other cards.

Deck 2 - Modified

Tweak Deck 1 so it can withstand into higher levels while spending as little gold as you can. This will mean NOT using cards considered staples or good ones in other play, while some cards are good or better they cost more gold as they get up in rarity. You should consider a card's strength but secondary to its cost. Ex., if you have to choose between a Common and Rare, you may choose the Rare for usual play but would prefer the Common here. While Soul Seeker is considered a great card for Hunters, as a Rare it costs money so a couple ore Old Iron Daggers or even 4x Feathered Longbows are better.

Example

Human Priest - either

STARTER
    2x Birgitte Skullborn
    2x Dirk Saber
    3x Puwen Bloodhelm
    3x Blake Windrunner
    2x Sandra Trueblade

2x Healing Touch
    2x Inner Strength
    1x Focused Prayer
    2x Smite
    2x Book of Curses / Resurrection
    2x Cover of Night
    2x Extra Sharp
    2x Bazaar

2x Plate Armor

MODDED - Jericho

4x Birgitte Skullborn
    4x Dirk Saber
    4x Puwen Bloodhelm

2x Healing Touch
    4x Inner Strength
    1x Focused Prayer
    4x Book of Curses
    4x Bazaar

2x Plate Armor

Cost - 600

I played both at my current level (16), the Starter lost easily, the Modified one beat Majiya but lost to Moonstalker. Still working on it. I am currently testing a Modified Majiya who beat Gwenneth, Nishaven, Zhanna so far.

So while I wait to (hopefully) get my rewards that I need to play against others because of how behind I am, I came across a topic here.

I found it interesting, I have been grinding with 40 card decks testing ideas instead of maximizing the grind itself. I did have 3 problems with this.

1 - It is not new user friendly giving the new player who now has a 40 card starter advice on how to use a 30 card deck best.
    2 - It does not lsit all heroes. Though the ones listed are probably the best, some players choose other heroes for personal reasons.
    3 - It may not be cheap. If you are trying to maximize profit, you aim to make the most while spending the least.

I decided to expand kentuequi's idea into a challenge for the community that became what I listed above. Credit for inspiration goes to kentuequi and those who live 'cheap' trying to maximize profit and value for little expense.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I like this idea.

You should definitely check out the work of Random Heroes for reference and inspiration:

http://randomheroes.shadowera.net/herodecks.php

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Looked that over.
    I was aiming for zero spending of real cash, will have to consider the effect of free Shadow Crystals over time. I haven't leveled up in a while, its 25 SC per level?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You are tempting me to create a new account to start from scratch, which is rather challanging.
    However if I'd want to earn easy gold I'd start with Eladwen as the main hero: cheap cards, strong deck, fast play (=more gold),