Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"No Errata Policy" and Power Creep

If someone has some insight as to how SE will get around issues such as power creep, please educate me because I'm having a hard time imagining how this game will avoid what seems inevitable. Power creep is something that is pretty hard to avoid without being able to tweak older cards. When was the last time you saw a Keldor instead of a death collector?
    IGN: TJ Rated GG

currently playing:
    GG's Lance - The Diplomat

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In about 50% of meltdown games :P

But it would be nice if they would boost the power of some less useful cards. Things like Keldor could be boosted through other means mind (something useful that also reduces the activation cost of ally abilities/hero ability along those lines- would simultaneously help oggie and the even less seen than keldor- chimera). Other things (like the wands in the last update and the shadow version of honoured dead) will just never be particularly useful.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    is death collector undead? if not, then keldor may have a niche as undead develops, but if they are both undead...

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    even if they both count as undead you could still use both, since both would benefit from buffs like undying bond. also, you could argue that they serve different roles, since keldor gets an instant +2 and would be faster in a rush/portal deck, while death collector has more utility in controlling the opponents graveyard or in a lightnig based mage deck with voltars ring.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    In the digital game, where every card is easy to collect, you are right. You will almost never see Keldor because Death Collector is an option.

However, in the physical game and certain limited digital formats, Keldor will be more common than Death Collector. Keldor is a common and has a roughly 1 in 10 chance of showing up in a CotC booster pack. Furthermore, two copies of Keldor are available in every Shadow Starter deck. On the other hand, Death Collector is a rare and has only a roughly 1 in 30 chance of showing up in a DP booster, and is not available in any Starter decks.

Since they have different rarities, they end up filling different roles in the card pool and probably shouldn't be defined as an example of power creep.

Now, power creep is a possibility, but the DT and PFG work hard to minimize that, but I should probably let a DT member explain how.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    There's a new card in SF that works really well with Keldor actually. Better than with Death Collector.

Next question?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Gondorian View Post
    There's a new card in SF that works really well with Keldor actually. Better than with Death Collector.

Next question?
    C'mon now...you can't go that far and not just outright spoil the card...I'll give you the next question...What is the new card?
    Avenger of Valhalla
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

plo
    @ Rated GG>> I feel the same way you feel, and am worried that they will eventually let a powerful card slip throught. However if I am not mistaken Gondarian said on a SE Radio that if they really need to errata a card they will. So think of their errata policy in this way "We will try our best and do whatever is possible to do to avoid having a power creep, but if it happens we will errata the card".

Balancing this game is no easy task, every hero needs to be competitive, so as the games ages and SE finally has more than 50 heroes, making all of them competitive will be a nightmare.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by plo View Post
    Balancing this game is no easy task, every hero needs to be competitive, so as the games ages and SE finally has more than 50 heroes, making all of them competitive will be a nightmare.
    Oh I wish

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by gondorian View Post
    there's a new card in sf that works really well with keldor actually. Better than with death collector.

Next question?
    nda!
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements