Close

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This is great news.

I'm excited about this project going forward. Raph is THE MAN to organize this event!

Personally, I like the idea of the WC spots being earned through different competitions (every year one spot for the previous champion, one spot for the sealed deck champion, spots for the regional champions, etc.). You could even create a couple of new types of tournament/qualifiers (e.g. pop-up champion for the winner of a pop-up circuit, etc.).

I don't think there should be a spot for the QM champion, at least not with the current system. However, seeding from QM rating (not score) could be feasible - but you would have to decide which season to use for rating (or maybe use the average rating from all the seasons of the year?).

Go Raph!
    Kelala, Prophet of the Gods
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Champion of Slugfest V
    Winner of SE Champions League
    Member of Team BP, Winner of Guild War Z

INFORMATION ON OUR GUILD

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Raph for president, 2014. You mess with the bull, you get the horns.
    The Haydes - Sworn rear protector of Jasmine
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Just to point out here that not everyone in SE is supportive of Raph being WC 2014 TO. I'm glad Wulven will not treat this as some popularity contest.

Raph, if you were just completely pissed with Wulven and the DT, please just quit quietly instead of this strange convoluted way of getting yourself made WC 2014 TO. What if there are conflicts between you and Wulven in the midst of the organisation again? Are you just going to threaten to quit and walk away? The WC period would probably last for an extended period. If you are not going to be involved in SE in any other way (I understand you have quit BP?), are you sure you have the interest and incentive to carry on?

I don't think anyone doubts your technical competency much but your objectivity also leaves much to be desired. Sure, you can have checks and balances to ensure the TO cannot manipulate the results too much but there are all these subtle little things the TO is capable of doing to give advantage to particular parties.

Besides, imo Mojumbo and the rest of the team did a decent job anyway and it's not like they are incapable of listening to feedback. I'm sure they can make WC 2014 a resounding success.

So, I'm sorry to say I personally do not support you as WC 2014 TO.

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrogene View Post
    Just to point out here that not everyone in SE is supportive of Raph being WC 2014 TO. I'm glad Wulven will not treat this as some popularity contest.

Raph, if you were just completely pissed with Wulven and the DT, please just quit quietly instead of this strange convoluted way of getting yourself made WC 2014 TO. What if there are conflicts between you and Wulven in the midst of the organisation again? Are you just going to threaten to quit and walk away? The WC period would probably last for an extended period. If you are not going to be involved in SE in any other way (I understand you have quit BP?), are you sure you have the interest and incentive to carry on?

I don't think anyone doubts your technical competency much but your objectivity also leaves much to be desired. Sure, you can have checks and balances to ensure the TO cannot manipulate the results too much but there are all these subtle little things the TO is capable of doing to give advantage to particular parties.

Besides, imo Mojumbo and the rest of the team did a decent job anyway and it's not like they are incapable of listening to feedback. I'm sure they can make WC 2014 a resounding success.

So, I'm sorry to say I personally do not support you as WC 2014 TO.
    I have just spend 3 hours writing an email to Kyle with reviews and what can be improved upon so that we can have a good WC 2014. I am getting ready to spend another 3 hours writing my proposal for WC 2014 + not including the time I know I will have to spend on actual planning and execution of the WC.

I also closed off the email that I would be happy to sign any NDA.

Mojumbo did a great job with what he was handed with. It was "not great", but Mojumbo did the best he could. I have praised Mojumbo several times in various threads. Of course, there were some critical issues that I feel that he could have handled better. The crux is that Mojumbo was handed with a 'bad ship' which should not have occurred in the first place. I want to solve that problem, no more bad ships. And I will need Mojumbo and the rest of the DT to work with me to make WC 2014 a success.

I can send you the information, if that's what you really want, on why I do not think the team did not do a 'decent job' this year but I would like to check with Kyle if it's okay to send it to you.

Comparatively, again, this is IMHO, the WC 2012 was more well-organized than the 2013 series.
    Last edited by Raphael Majere; 11-27-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You can count with my support Raph and my help ofc

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrogene View Post
    I personally do not support you as WC 2014 TO.
    I agree
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wulven should run their own event by one of their own existing team members. No hires for events please
    EveryThing Changes

"The difference between the possible and the impossible lies within a persons determination" -- Tommy Lasorda

Check out my decks and others at Shadowera.net. Shadowera's #1 Super Fan Site!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Buqs View Post
    Wulven should run their own event by one of their own existing team members. No hires for events please
    I think that sometimes it may be good that someone other than existing Wulven members can organise tourneys... however, for such big scale official events, I think it's always better to get someone who has a good relationship with all the major guilds.

Just look at the ladder season 8 fiasco, there were many unsubtle cries of "unfair refereeing" when the original leaders were deducted points. In the past tourneys, there were also incidents of accusations of "bias refereeing".

I can think of a few bir...erm, I mean persons who fit the bill, people like preybird (likeable and active guy) and warr Byrd (no guild affiliation and straight talking). They will probably be a better candidate to ensure that emotions don't run too high.
    Last edited by Atomzed; 11-27-2013 at 03:04 PM.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Buqs View Post
    Why does it need to be existing? Is Wulven not allowed to hire new people?

EDIT: I see Atomzed has said what I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomzed View Post
    I think that sometimes it may be good that someone other than existing Wulven members can organise tourneys... however, for such big scale official events, I think it's always better to get someone who has a good relationship with all the major guilds.

Just look at the ladder season 8 fiasco, there were many unsubtle cries of "unfair refereeing" when the original leaders were deducted points. In the past tourneys, there were also incidents of accusations of "bias refereeing".

I can think of a few bir...erm, I mean persons who fit the bill, people like preybird (likeable and active guy) and warr Byrd (no guild affiliation and straight talking). They will probably be a better candidate to ensure that emotions don't run too high.
    If PB and Warr Byrd wants (or any SE player) wants to host WC it's good to send a PM to Kyle as well. I agree WC is a pretty big event and Wulven should think all offers through. However, I feel like the decision of "fitting the bill" is more than just whoever is most liked or most neutral. Not to say Raph is the best person to host but I think if anyone wants to be TO, he needs to not only show initiative but he also has to prove his impartiality to any guild (and to be VERY OBJECTIVE at that), and also he needs to show he will be committed enough to guide the entire thing all throughout. Those are very different things but if the applying TO can prove he can do it, why not?

Imo we shouldn't be pointing fingers on who can or who cannot be TO at the moment (as I've said, there are many factors) but whoever lands on the role I only wish the best for him and hope he gets the job done.
    Last edited by Zigbigwig; 11-27-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigbigwig View Post
    Why does it need to be existing? Is Wulven not allowed to hire new people?
    As long as new member is not dead or imaginary. I don't think they would fall in existing category.
    Last edited by Veles; 11-27-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla