Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Post Shattered Fates Set Breakdown

Now that we’ve started spoiling cards from various sections of the set, the keenest amongst you are probably already trying to work out the breakdown of the set. Well, guess no longer, because here it is!

Number of Cards: 200 cards

Heroes: 10
    Human Allies: 25
    Shadow Allies: 25
    Warrior Cards: 10
    Mage Cards: 10
    Hunter Cards: 10
    Priest Cards: 10
    Rogue Cards: 10
    Wulven Cards: 10
    Elemental Cards: 10
    Human Items/Abilities: 10
    Shadow Items/Abilities: 10
    Neutral Items/Abilities: 10
    Armor: 20
    Weapons: 20

I doubt that comes as a surprise because it’s pretty much the same as Call of the Cystals, which has, by and large, served us well. The main departure, as you can see, is that we have 10 fewer heroes and we have 5 extra allies per faction.

This decision to have more allies in the 200 card set was based primarily on our aim to give our limited formats the best chance of success. Call of the Crystals, which was not designed with limited play in mind, had only had 43 allies in total, with only 17 of them being Common, 18 Uncommon and 8 Rare/Epic. In formats where your deck-building pool is determined by contents of booster packs, this translated to quite low ally counts compared to what you might see in constructed decks.

With this in mind, Shattered Fates has over 70 ally slots in total (there are at least 2 allies per class), with about 30 being Common and 20 Uncommon. Since the set is the same size as CotC and the number of Commons will be roughly the same, that translates to about six more allies per four booster packs, which should lead to much better experiences with the Meltdown format and booster drafts.

But we didn’t stop there! We also recognized the need for some Common weapons and armor (previously not done before in Shadow Era), to ensure that heroes that depend on them have more chance of being viable in limited formats.

But we didn’t stop there either! We made those Common weapons and armor fully Neutral (i.e. without any class restrictions), so that all of them are usable whichever hero you pick, which, again, gives each player a better chance of getting cards of that type in a limited format.

In terms of constructed play, this innovation addresses an issue that Shadow Era has had since its beginnings: certain heroes are cheaper to build viable decks with, which constrains the hero choices new players on a budget can make.

More specifically, when you first create your account in the digital game, there are a few Human hero choices that are more difficult to create decks for at the moment unless you are prepared to buy some booster packs and seek out some weapons for heroes like Amber and Gwen, who can't use their hero ability otherwise. Similarly, in the physical format, your chance of being able to build a variety of cheap decks is reduced.

When Shattered Fates hits, however, it will be just as easy to build a decent Gwenneth Truesight deck with a few hundred Shadow Crystals as it is to build a decent Eladwen Frostmire one. This should lead to a better spread of heroes being used on Quick Match, leading to a wider variety of experiences there, and ultimately a more enjoyable game for all. Which is what this is all about!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    cool, thx for Info!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    looking forward to the new ally spread. of course, my bias for artifact decks makes me wish that next set has a penchant for artifacts and deployables.

nonetheless, +1
    85-Card mini-set: Gate of the Steelbound.

So you want to take a poll? ∙ Affectionate TVTransvestite TwinRacist CowBag of Dicks

The pen is mightier than the sword, but actions speak louder than words.
    Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts.
    Sometimes a little chaos is in order.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    But we didn’t stop there either! We made those Common weapons and armor fully Neutral (i.e. without any class restrictions), so that all of them are usable whichever hero you pick, which, again, gives each player a better chance of getting cards of that type in a limited format.
    I guess this was intended for booster draft in physical version? Since only meltdown available at the digital version for now.
    INDO Language Sub-Forum

[SF]Solo Nish/Loest
    Ythan Redthorn, Rush of the Twilight Deck
    Zaladar, Alpha Strike Deck
    Bloodfang, Howl of the Pack Deck

Eyes of the Phoenix
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Dragon
    Favorite SE activity: Meltdown & Deck-Building
    Favorite Card: Anklebreaker
    Favorite Hero: Majiya

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by udy View Post
    I guess this was intended for booster draft in physical version? Since only meltdown available at the digital version for now.
    Booster draft will be coming to the digital version as part of the Shattered Fates release, providing we meet our Kickstarter funding goal.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I am looking forward to the neutral common weapons. I just hope that the weapons will be useful, as most of the common weapons are awful now. Cards like old long dagger, wooden staff are very poor, and are difficult to play with even in weapon heroes.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Sooo excited. I wonder how this will change meltdown as well
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Nice! I'm hoping the next spoiliers will be one or two of those Neutral weapons
    No animals were harmed in the making of this sig... I tried, but that damn monkey was way too fast.

IGN: Disturbed Animal

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Wait shouldn't there be 12 heroes? Including Rothem and Loest. I get that their Legendary and supposedly "outside the set" but that's just a technicality isn't it.
    IGN: A1 ShadowBeast

I'm interested in seeing how you plan to kill a shadow

MY COTC DECKS
    Nishaven Hybrid

MY DP DECKS
    FT Trollers #1 Baduruu Shutdown

Ter Stripper

Serena the Card Sharp

A1:Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowborn View Post
    Wait shouldn't there be 12 heroes? Including Rothem and Loest. I get that their Legendary and supposedly "outside the set" but that's just a technicality isn't it.
    Bees are on the what now?