Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Mission Control doesn't work in v2.030

Mission Control (the virtual screens feature the OS provides) in Mac OS (latest version) stopped working once I updated Shadow Era to v2.030. This is while running the game in full screen.

It worked just fine by using the "hot corners" on the screen (a feature of the OS, just as Mission Control is) or by using the quick key that you had set to activate it.

This was particularly practical while waiting for a new match or just waiting for your opponent to make a move. This also allowed me to leave the app open in the background while doing something else and allowed me to jump back in to the game quickly and easily.
    Last edited by Karjala; 11-15-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Clarification: running in full screen.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    We updated the game engine, Unity3d, to the latest version for this release, which seems to have caused the problem you describe. Unfortunately we have no control over that sort of thing and have to rely on them to fix it

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Oh, well that's too bad. Switching virtual screens like that fits the game perfectly.

I doubt Unity will be changed back to working like it used to since this is the only game I've ever seen use virtual screens.

I guess I'll have to just play on the small screen of the iPhone even though it's far less enjoyable, but not being able to multitask on an actual computer is just unpractical. I was having a good time playing earlier today and now I really regret updating.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Does windowed mode not work?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by plaidman View Post
    Does windowed mode not work?
    Windowed mode does work, but it also reduces the framerate by a lot. Not sure why, but it happens with most games on Mac OS, at least with older computers.

Also, if I switch to windowed mode to do something else, the game changes its resolution, so the buttons at the bottom like "end turn" go to the very bottom of the screen, only showing part of the button. It also stays this way when switching back to full screen and only goes back to normal when relaunching the application.

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karjala View Post
    Windowed mode does work, but it also reduces the framerate by a lot. Not sure why, but it happens with most games on Mac OS, at least with older computers.

Also, if I switch to windowed mode to do something else, the game changes its resolution, so the buttons at the bottom like "end turn" go to the very bottom of the screen, only showing part of the button. It also stays this way when switching back to full screen and only goes back to normal when relaunching the application.
    Since it's down to Unity, the best we could do is improve the Windowed mode to deal with the frame-rate (hopefully) and the clipped buttons caused by the title bar stealing some of the height.

I've just tried the following on my iMac (running OSX 10.9) though:

Windowed mode (2048 x 1152 when my max is 2560 x 1440), and the buttons are fine. You can switch to/from Full Screen with Cmd-F and there are no button glitches. Can't speak about frame rate because I've never really paid attention to it. The game used to be 30fps everywhere, so I got used to that, I guess.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here's an example of the End Turn button. The full screen resolution is 1140x900 on my laptop, when I switch to Windowed by pressing Cmd-F and back again, this happens every time.
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 17.22.33.jpg

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karjala View Post
    Here's an example of the End Turn button. The full screen resolution is 1140x900 on my laptop, when I switch to Windowed by pressing Cmd-F and back again, this happens every time.
    Screen Shot 2013-11-16 at 17.22.33.jpg
    Thanks. Can you confirm that running windowed at lower than your max is OK?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yeah, it's fine. Very much playable and when I'm playing, I'd rather switch to full screen anyway.

I just don't want buttons to go off the screen when I switch between full screen and windowed like in the screenshot I posted. They do that already when switching to windowed by the way, so they stay that way from then on until I restart the game.