Close

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Post Shattered Fates spoilers!

As seen in the weekly twitch.tv live stream, we released the first few spoilers for the upcoming new set, Shattered Fates. And what legendary spoilers they were! Both cards were discussed by the design team on the live stream, but feel free to ask any more questions here!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Great artwork. I can't wait to see more of the other heroes and cards from shattered fates
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Will there be alternate arts for the new heroes? Seems kind of unfair for them if they only have one artwork.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Awesooooooommmmmeeeee. And I notice that they're Legendary... are they not going to be the same rarity as normal heros?
    I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.
    Enlightened Technological Creature
    A Proud Member of ETC
    My 10 step guide to deck building
    My published 1.6 decks

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, at first blush I'm not terribly excited to play either hero. That 5Se cost really hampers both. Of the two I prefer Loest myself. I think it's just too hard to get multiple sources of damage for Rothem to buff. If you have 2 creatures and 1 weapon in play you'll get a 6pt damage boost every 5 turns. Pales in compareson to me with Zaladar, Banebow, and even Darkclaw's damage boost. I think they could have made it 3SE instead of 5SE and it still wouldn't have been OP. But, maybe the rest of the card pool will change my mind. I guess he's built for a weenie rush that tries to win on the first turn you can fire off your ability.
    Last edited by Wes Davis; 10-21-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I really like Rothem's ability but Loest seems to be lackluster (personally)

But both of the artwork are very great.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So one human mage, and one shadow warrior, are spoiled, which are both connected to Layar. It looks like they are going to have heroes which are going to be connected to the different kingdoms. So 10 heroes equal to 5 countries?

Assuming that Nahcyo has a great background story written up for all of them, this will be something interesting.

loest ability is appropriately costed. Being a human mage with super nova and other burns, he should have lotsa ways to deal with the board. So his ability will primarily be used for big fatties, such as aeon. And because his ability allows it to target other items and abilities, it is flexible for all kinds of situations. (Also interesting that his ability will be stopped by steadfast)

Not to mention that mage has access to SBO , so Loest ability can be activated much faster. I definitely rate Loest better than nish. I think nish is going to be less popular unless other SF cards will make him better.

Rothem ability is meh. 5cc for a 1 turn attack boost to ally and weapon. Let's first compare him to other weapon heroes. Serena 3SE ability gains the same +2 attack, but has an additional hand discard. Gwen 3SE also has +2 attack, but gains 2 durability. Amber 3SE gain 2 attack permanently. So comparatively, Rothem ability is so much higher cost that I won't want to use him as a weapon hero.

Now let's look at Rothem +2 attack to ally. The buff in attack is good, but it requires you to have an ally on board first. And at 5cc, the first time you can use it is at T6 if you are going first, T5 if you are going second. Timing it is going to be difficult with such high cost. I think It is too high cost to be able to use effectively.... I suspect his ability will be changed, maybe lower the cost and focus on only weapons or allies.

Interestingly, rothem ability can work well with the defender ability. Cos the higher attack makes it easier for the defender ally to kill the enemy ally first. I also remember an less used warrior card, which gives the allies defender ability for 2 turns. So if anything I prefer that rothem ability be focus on allies only.
    Last edited by Atomzed; 10-21-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    A1's Mustard-Seed Knight of Hope (IGN:A1 atomzed)
    Also a member of PFG1 and PFG2
    Rank #7 in Inaugural Meltdown Tourney
    Singapore Rep for Street Fighter Tournament

"Rapid analysis, accurate judgement, and superb powers of concentration...That is all we need." - Lezard Valeth

Proud member of A1 - Evolution in Theory
    Project Omega - Card Analysis and Strategy Guide

My Articles
    Deck size and Probability - A case for (slightly) bigger deck
    Meltdown Tier and Payout Analysis

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Davis View Post
    Well, at first blush I'm not terribly excited to play either hero. That 5Se cost really hampers both. Of the two I prefer Loest myself. I think it's just too hard to get multiple sources of damage for Rothem to buff. If you have 2 creatures and 1 weapon in play you'll get a 6pt damage boost every 5 turns. Pales in compareson to me with Zaladar, Banebow, and even Darkclaw's damage boost. I think they could have made it 3SE instead of 5SE and it still wouldn't have been OP. But, maybe the rest of the card pool will change my mind. I guess he's built for a weenie rush that tries to win on the first turn you can fire off your ability.
    Yes I thought the same thing with a weenie rush style deck. Also when I get a couple weenies out cast kp on the turn you use your ability and it can kill him very quickly. 4 allies at 2 damage + 4 dmg boost to each is 24 damage plus your weapon of 3 or 4 dmg. That's 28 damage. But your opponent knowing your ability probably won't make it easy for you to setup.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think Loest's ability is balanced. Essentially a better version of Boris' ability that costs more. Being a mage, he shouldn't have too many problems early game, and his playstyle should be similar to Eladwen's, being able to take care of stuff like Spelleater Bands without having to use item destruction. The ability to stop SK loops is also nice.

At first I thought Rothem was a bit underwhelming, but on second thought he can have a lot of combo potential. Maybe he can use his ability once for a big early board controlling move, and once for a massive attack on the hero. Indeed weenie rush seems like the way to go with him. That being said, 5SE seems a bit steep. Maybe 4SE would be a more balanced cost for his ability, but I guess playtesting will show what's best. I'm suspecting that there will be other cards from the set that will be tailored for his ability so it would make more sense, but we'll have to wait and see.
    Kratylus - Honored Bearer of Aegis
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn.