Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

AbYsMaL's Tips for a Smooth Victory

So I am not really a good article writer or anything but I do like helping new players so I figure this might help a few new players as well as veterans that seem to be having a little trouble with their win even if their decks are solid.

By virtue of being a TCG, SE incorporates a combination of skill and luck that most games would love to have but don't. This combination can result in interesting games, but if you do not know what to look for, a victory will be hard fought when it honestly shouldn't, or prevented when you should have won, bad matchup or no. Hopefully, these tips might help you get a few more games under your belt, as well as get you thinking about play style.

1) Look at the Heroes in play: It goes without saying that a good way to determine if you'll have a great game is observing your opponent's hero. This step is doubly important, and places one in my list for numerous reasons. First, some heroes work well against certain deck "archetypes". For example, Jericho works best against attachment based heroes like solo-Gwen and solo-Darkclaw; Eladwen loves herself a Millstalk-cycle. Now that you know this, you should be rethinking your sacrifice choices and thinking of a counter-plan (instead of saccing this Speedstrike, on his t4 he'll destroy my first one so I should...). Doing so greatly reduces your chances of pulling a win out of your...um...deck. Yea let's go with that.

2) Carefully observe your opponent's plays: Sometimes an opponent gives away his whole hand by playing very little, a lot, or does other things that make you wonder why he is doing this or that. This is very important, especially in the early game. If an Majiya doesn't play a Tome of Knowledge by T3, you should probably assume she isn't getting that draw engine and have that item destruction on standby. No T5 Rapid Fire on Gwen. Either she doesn't have one, or she doesn't have a Soul Seeker and so you should probably be a tad more aggressive.

3) Learn your staples: Going hand-in-hand with #2, each hero/class has a gimmick that makes you change your playstyle and rightly so. Elementalis have a wicked Mind Control. Zhanna has Tidal Wave. Now that you know a classes staple card(s), can you bait it, negate it, or just lessen it's impact? Doing so ensures that your opponent wasted his turn, and at best his critical power play.

4) Do you see "That Card"?: When you see a card that you don't normally see, you should not ignore it. Some players like to play against their deck stereotypes. A Lone Wolf is not a Full Moon. But man is it funny to play a DC mirror, play a full moon, and watch that DC use his Shadow Energy to do a whopping 0 damage and then say that I'm using a hacked Lone Wolf. Use your camera and use it often.

5) Have a Plan Q: Simply put, if all of your normal plays don't work on your opponent, then try a different approach. Is your deck a control deck? What do you do if your opponent plays a Tidal Wave? What happens if Elementalis MC's your staple Aeon play? What can you do if you cannot achieve your win condition?

6) Know your cards: This isn't my deck, or your mom's deck, or your fifth ex's deck. It's your deck, and your cards. You should know everything about the cards you are about to play. Take a moment if on a losing streak and look through your deck to see what cards you are sacrificing more than playing, and always reread the description if you need that clarification (Oh, my Fireball can't hurt a Furrion Terror because he's immune to fire damage). Also look at the bug reports so that you can exploit the games weirdness, and prevent a normally good idea from falling flat because that card doesn't work right.

7) If on an impressively long losing streak, look at your replays: You should look at these at least once by searching your IGN on the challenge screen. If you are losing to a certain deck, look at the replays to observe any noticeable patterns (I do try to play rush against a Zhanna; why did I SK loop Zaladar so much?) Sometimes you'll catch these and then your next game will be a little better.

Hopefully these tips will help you improve your game and increase your perception on the battlefield. Good luck and have fun.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    GREAT JOB. great article.

TL;DR
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I've enjoy more to read it in this forum than in BP's

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'd love to see this format with more detail. Say a walkthru of a given hero.
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, can I get an example of what you mean Shadows R Us? I mean, are you looking for specific examples, or a game that was played; I don't know what you mean. Sorry.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadows R Us View Post
    I'd love to see this format with more detail. Say a walkthru of a given hero.
    Your name sounds familiar...
    Scrupulous Ash Collector of the Blue Phoenix.
    Warriors of the Blue Phoenix

Greatness, Reborn

Shadow Era Network - Shadow Era community hub.

Quote Originally Posted by BDK16 View Post
    You're the best Unruler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Bhleg View Post
    No one know FS better than you, our King of FS.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by AbYsMaL View Post
    Well, can I get an example of what you mean Shadows R Us? I mean, are you looking for specific examples, or a game that was played; I don't know what you mean. Sorry.
    He probably wants to know what are the key aspects of each hero you need to counter to defeat it. At least I understood it that way.
    Nerull7 - Backhand of Justice
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Nerull7 | Our Guild | Watch Epic BP Games: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
    Talk less crap, do more for community

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by nerull7 View Post
    He probably wants to know what are the key aspects of each hero you need to counter to defeat it. At least I understood it that way.
    This is what I meant. Thanks nerull7
    The Paladin of Punxsutawney
    Warrior of The Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Shadows R Us