Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Cards Selected and Refined by Random Heroes (W.A. task 6)

These card designs were submitted by Random Heroes for Task 6 of the Wulven Apprentice. After you have reviewed them and those of the other team, Nocturnal Advantage, please cast your vote as to which team you thought did the better job.

Three Cards They Selected and Refined

Originally submitted by Ekoz.

Originally submitted by Warr Byrd.

Originally submitted by Warr Byrd.

Two Cards They Designed

Rationale for Decisions

To help you judge their cards, the team were given the opportunity to share design insights on the cards they produced. What they wrote has been pasted here verbatim:

Our choices:

We decided to pursue a strategy that was not really viable in Shadow Era at the moment but still had the groundwork laid for it, hand destruction. Currently there is a draw engine (Elicit Information), a hero (Serena Thoughtripper) and an ally (Lyra Blackrose) that identify with this strategy, but they lack the support to really utilise hand destruction as their primary goal. The cards we have chosen are designed to allow this style of play to flourish.

CARD JUSTIFICATIONS

Arcane Thief:

Rationale: This is a great card to help with the discard strategy, causing early pain for your opponent while still being a half decent ally. And later on with Elicit Information it essentially gives you a draw cantrip as well.

Changes from the original: There have been two changes, from Shadow Ally to Rogue Ally and increasing her health to 3. The health increase makes her sturdy enough to be a viable 2 drop, and the shift to Rogue Ally allows her to work with Elicit Information.

Darksword:

Rationale: This works very well with Serena, allowing her to cause discards even if she is targeting allies, and naturally works well with Elicit Information. In addition as it is an Elemental weapon it can also be used to help with their weaker draw by putting their opponent’s hand under pressure. In addition the secondary effect of exiling the ally means that your opponent cannot return it to play via any means (Shadow Knight for example).

Changes from the original: The only change is to boost the durability to 4, to bring it in line with most 5cc weapons. It also was done to help the ability trigger more often, as the weapon has to actually kill an ally for the ability to work.

Suit of the Iron Maiden:

Rationale: This is a real double edged card that can be devastating in the right situations, but can backfire if you’re not careful. However if you have Elicit Information out it will replace the cards you lose while running your opponent dry, and then you can use cards like Lily Rosecult and Procured and Restored to get them back (or in P&R’s case, steal things from your opponent).

Changes from the original: We removed the drawing discarded cards activated ability because we felt it overlapped too much with Gravediggers Cloak. To compensate we reduced the cost to 4cc.

Arken Deathblade:

Rationale: This guy can cause huge dramas for your opponent if left alone; particularly if he arrives when they’re hand is already in peril. However as an ally he is easier to remove than an item or attachment, meaning that your opponent will usually have options to deal with him and preventing him from getting out of control.

Totem of Torment:

Rationale: A nice cheap punishment card, the damage can stack up over time, particularly if you’re forcing discards each turn. Combined with Iron Maiden you could potentially cause this to trigger multiple times per turn.
    Last edited by Gondorian; 10-17-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added links to original designs

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Feel free to offer feedback on the cards here for the team to read.

You may also use this thread to ask the team questions about their cards, in case of any ambiguity that might make them hard to judge.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I find Arcane Thief quite powerful (not saying OP ), compared to lets say Transferrence, you get +1 card advantage AND a decent ally, I can imagine this ally not only in Serena's discard deck - very interesting one.
    Sword is fine, Arken I find too situational and Totem, well, I don't think that this card would give me so much advantage to play it..but I don't play Rogues at all, in fact I hate them, so f*k me
    I really love art of these cards though! Esp. Arcane Thief art is massive..

EDIT: Well yes... it is OP
    Last edited by sh1va; 10-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    im looking at all your rationales and yes these cards will all benefit the cardpool of rogues. My main question is why did you guy decide to have all 5 cards focus on discarding and mainly rogues? is there some secret undying love you guys have for serena? anyway, good job if these cards were added to the set i would definitely play them
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Arcane Thief is OP.
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo3yb0i View Post
    My main question is why did you guy decide to have all 5 cards focus on discarding and mainly rogues? is there some secret undying love you guys have for serena?
    Well ever since I stole Gwen form Praybird he had to settle with Serena.
    Last edited by Veles; 10-17-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I like the decision to focus on one class. It gave you more space to develop your idea so I thought that was good.

Arcane Thief:

I think it's quite OP too and pro-FTA.

Darksword:

Like the design but I think it would be OP with Zaladar especially when he goes 1st.

Suit of the Iron Maiden:

Like the synergy with Elicit Info. Would have been cool with Elementals too but I guess it doesn't fit the flavour.

Arken Deathblade:

This card is actually more important than it looks as hand destruction alone is insufficient if not accompanied by a win con. Also since hand destruction gives a diminishing marginal return, this is needed to give reason to pick Serena over Lance.

Totem of Torment:

Not too exciting but I guess you need a common card. Good take on making it neutral.

Fantastic art choices that fits the game very well.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Arcane Thief: I would actually suggest it to maybe be like Artful Squire that is either/or if you find it too strong.
    Darksword: I like the design intent and works with Elementals which originally as anti draw heroes as well. Not sure the intent for the exile part though.
    Suit of the Iron Maiden: My only concern is since you design Darksword in line with 5cc weapons, you might as well design this with 4ccs. but it still is good.
    Arken: Not sure about this one,especially the 2 damage. Overboard for me I think. maybe 1 damage but idk.
    Totem: I like the idea being neutral. This card is like the idea of atonement thing for priest.

I would say if you want to boost Serena, I think her survivability is her issue.
    Shadow Era:

Every Turn Counts

"Being strong isn't just about having powers or moves...It is about HEART." - Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

PFG 2 Member "You idealize, we criticize."
    1st Singapore Meltdown Physical Tournament Winner

IGN: Berdugo ETC
    Profession: Alien Hunter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Arcane Thief: Reminds me of Here Be Monsters but for Rogue decks. Powerful.

Darksword: Here Be Zaladar+Darksword = Elemental Serena. Not sure how I feel about this. Edit: Shawn, I know you had a hand in this card. You need to do a better job of hiding your man crush on Zaladar. OP.

Suit of the Iron Maiden: Up the Irons! I would probably drop the durability.

Arken Deathblade: Seems like a gimmick.

Totem of Torment: See Arken Deathbalde. The cheap cost helps it especially in conjunction with something like Serena's ability.
    Last edited by Peithoson; 10-17-2013 at 06:13 PM.
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    IMO... i really dislike card discard mechanics. How have the hand destruction theme decks been in testing? Just from personal experience playing other card gamed. Hand destruction has a tendency to get overly powerful really fast... as there is little counter play to it.. discarding cards will also limit what counter play you have drawn. 1/3 creature that gives you card advantage instantly (strongest card in the bunch). Card discard should help you in taking board control but it shouldn't outright win you the game. Many of these type of cards get banned in other tcgs pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Rated GG; 10-17-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    IGN: TJ Rated GG

currently playing:
    GG's Lance - The Diplomat