Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Cards Selected and Refined by Nocturnal Advantage (W.A. task 6)

These card designs were submitted by Nocturnal Advantage for Task 6 of the Wulven Apprentice. After you have reviewed them and those of the other team, Random Heroes, please cast your vote as to which team you thought did the better job.

Three Cards They Selected and Refined

Originally submitted by Drekall.

Originally submitted by Caitlyn.

Originally submitted by d3ath.

Two Cards They Designed

Rationale for Decisions

To help you judge their cards, the team were given the opportunity to share design insights on the cards they produced. What they wrote has been pasted here verbatim:

Our Mission Statement:

We wanted to find cards which would strengthen some of the less prevalently used heroes and strategies in Shadow Era, and thereby add more variety to the metagame. Our goal was to help bring some of the unsung heroes and deck archetypes of Shadow Era into the limelight, and help them compete with some of the more popularly played options.

CARD JUSTIFICATIONS

Quelling Force:

We were attracted to this design because we wanted a weapon which Logan Stonebreaker could use most effectively, but which could still provide some use for other heroes as well. We made a couple adjustments to the initial design to bring it into balance. The card's initial design had 10 durability, which we felt was a little too much, so we reduced the durability to 7. Also, Quelling Force was initially phrased to reduce all damage to its user by 2, which we changed to a reduction of 1 damage.
    Even with these small adjustments, Quelling Force should still be a powerful tool. Logan can combine his Shadow Energy ability with Quelling Force's activated ability to create a one-sided Tidal Wave of sorts, which allows him to come back from an unfavorable board position (something which has been very difficult for Logan in the past.) Since Quelling Force may not have its attack or durability raised, weapon-based heroes such as Amber or Darkclaw may not find it to be a worthy inclusion, but we suspect that its damage reduction ability and high durability will still make it a potentially attractive option for more control-based strategies.

The Green Knight:

The primary thing that attracted us to this card was its ability to be a win condition for more control-oriented deck archetypes. We wanted there to be more options for decks which choose to play a heavy permission strategy, and The Green Knight seemed like a perfect contender for this role. After all, what control deck wouldn't love to use an ally big enough to provide a credible win condition on his own while simultaneously keeping the opponent's army in check?
    The initial design of The Green Knight as submitted to the contest cost 6 resources to play, and had 2 attack and 5 toughness. He was also submitted with his -2 damage from all sources reduction, but his "kill target opposing ally" ability originally could target any opposing ally! He retains most of this flavor in his final version, but we felt we had to restrict his ally-killing ability to allies of 4cc or less, to make sure the card was balanced. To make up for it though (and to decrease his similarity to Armored Sandworm), we buffed his stats a bit.
    And what stats he has! With 6 health and a hide as tough as an Armored Sandworm, he should be hard to kill indeed. And since The Green Knight has steadfast, a simple Retreat! won't solve the problem. Once he becomes active on the board, The Green Knight will be a force to reckon with, capable of going toe-to-toe with some of the largest allies in the game, or of simply dispatching the small fries with his ability.

Wildfire Trap:

We selected this card primarily to address Victor Heartstriker's difficulty in dealing with aggressive rush decks, but it should prove to be a versatile tool for all of the Hunters in the game. The card was submitted with the name "Land Mine," but we felt that a more fantasy-oriented title would match more closely with the Shadow Era mythos. Wildfire Trap should be a staple for any Hunter deck with a relatively slow early game, allowing you a bit of time to set up before your opponent bum-rushes you with Aldon the Brave and his cohorts. Wildfire Trap makes your opponent think twice before they try to swarm you with a quick army. It is definitely not a card for only Victor to enjoy, though. By weakening your opponent's allies on the board, you can make them easy targets for the many various bows and arrows in the Hunter arsenal.
    One other subtle point is worth mentioning: Since Wildfire Trap has a cost of three resources, it can cause the opponent to confuse it with a Death Trap (or even a Rolling Boulders). This can lead to all sorts of interesting mind games... for your adversary.

Conviction of Faith:

With this card, we wanted to create a tool that specifically helped Jericho more than Zhanna, which proved to be a bit of a conundrum. However, by making the ally removal ability on Conviction of Faith itself tied with Jericho's Shadow Energy ability, we were able to do just that. Conviction of Faith is rather lackluster if you are only using it to give an ally +1/+0 and steadfast, which is about all Zhanna is able to do with it. But if you use Jericho Spellbane's ability to destroy Conviction of Faith, it suddenly becomes a deliciously efficient method of ally removal. Conviction of Faith also combos very well with Lingering Essence and Divine Connection, giving you a method of recurring one of your best removal spells and healing in the process. It functions almost like a Priest version of Assassinate, but you get to play your ally removal spell proactively and then use it when you want to. And if your opponent is a rascal and kills the dude you had Conviction of Faith attached to before you blow it up with Jericho, they still have to sacrifice one of their allies. That's what I call rewarding the faithful!

Value of the Ill Gotten:

In going along with strengthening the lesser used heroes, we turned our attention to Rogues, although to be more specific, towards Serena. This card helps promote Serena’s weapon-based damage and plays well with her ability. The popular Rogue card Ill Gotten Gains lends to this card’s theme. Value of the Ill Gotten would not serve to make Serena too powerful, but it should make her a viable contending hero. Her ability to discard would help a player keep more cards in hand than their opponent, allowing this card’s bonuses to take effect. Ill Gotten Gains also gives Rogues a solid draw engine to keep up your hand advantage and keep the bonuses rolling. Because of its ability to combo with Ill Gotten Gains and other draw spells, this card still provides a valuable resource for Lance to use as well. Value of the Ill Gotten should also be a lot of fun in a deck with Pay Day. It is definitely a card with the potential to gain strength as new armors and weapons are printed also.

In summary, we think these five cards would help the overall metagame of Shadow Era by creating more variety in the competitively played strategies, and bolstering some of the heroes which are currently enjoying less success. We sought to have five powerful designs, since our goal with these cards was primarily to support lesser used archetypes. It is possible that we erred slightly on the side of "more powerful" rather than "less," but we felt that having memorable, impressive cards was our primary concern. We hope you will enjoy them, thanks from Team Nocturnal Advantage for taking the time to check out our work! Cheers!

-Sean & Caleb (Shadowryou and DukeDemonKn1ght)

Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Feel free to offer feedback on the cards here for the team to read.

You may also use this thread to ask the team questions about their cards, in case of any ambiguity that might make them hard to judge.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    just a question. based on reading the requirements, i believe at least one of the cards you designed must work with a card u refined, not sure if any of them is suppose to work with the cards u refined. If anything explain please =)

also, 2 damage to all opposing allies doesnt that seem to be too OP resulting in possible auto include of hunter deck. (This one is just a comment but you can elaborate if you want)

overall i like qualling force and the 2 cards u guys designed. well done =)
    "Try and try until you die...or succeed...whichever comes first"

Jo3yb0i - Knight of Dark and Light
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Drawing Power - A Brief Analysis of Draw Cards

My PM | <(^.^)> | Helpful Links | <(^.^)> | IRC | <(^.^)> | IRC + Game | <(^.^)> | SE DeckBuilder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Like the concept of helping underplayed heroes, what I really don't like is Green Knight
    Humans already have similar card (ASWorm) and when compared to Worm he costs only 1CC more, for what he provides:
    - significantly better stats (+2attack/+1 health)!
    - steadfast (much harder to get rid of him)
    - great active

That makes it so so much better then ASWorm, that I dare to call this card designer's fail and even this one card makes me actually vote for the other team, sorry.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    These wording sound very not SE.
    Buried Treasure of Nanana
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix/ Greatness, Reborn
    My tournament achievements

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo3yb0i View Post
    just a question. based on reading the requirements, i believe at least one of the cards you designed must work with a card u refined, not sure if any of them is suppose to work with the cards u refined. If anything explain please =)

also, 2 damage to all opposing allies doesnt that seem to be too OP resulting in possible auto include of hunter deck. (This one is just a comment but you can elaborate if you want)

overall i like qualling force and the 2 cards u guys designed. well done =)
    I really appreciate the praise for our cards, thank you.

Again, I want to emphasize that I mean no disrespect with this and I truly appreciate your input and opinions, I just want to be sure that it is clear that we met the criteria so that the voting will be based solely on the cards submitted by the two teams. :-)
    Last edited by ShadowRyou; 10-25-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Currently a finalist in the WULVEN APPRENTICE and will happily take any support I can get from you guys

PFG Member

Shadow Era Champion for Orlando/Sanford Florida!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hmmm...I will based my comment on each card.
    1. As per the Quelching Force, it is good... though it is a bit,"cute". You may put it as a warrior weapon altogether and shell out the Wulven extension
    2. On the Green Knight, Human Ally...Please be fair to Boris it makes his ability weaker than this guy, and basically I can have Amber and Boris at the same deck.
    3. On wildfire trap, it is decent, and making Banebow a killing machine
    4. The priest attachment, there is a bit of the technicality on wording. What if I attack on my turn using that attached creature and it died, How can the opponent sacrifice an ally? what if for example, poisoned and died on my turn? We dont make opponent do something on our turn.
    5. VoIG: While it is a good intention for Serena, I think you forgot to consider 1 thing: Black Garb. It would up BG's defense by 2. and it will deteriorate its effectivity, wont you agree?
    Shadow Era:

Every Turn Counts

"Being strong isn't just about having powers or moves...It is about HEART." - Roronoa Zoro, One Piece

PFG 2 Member "You idealize, we criticize."
    1st Singapore Meltdown Physical Tournament Winner

IGN: Berdugo ETC
    Profession: Alien Hunter

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Berdugo View Post
    Hmmm...I will based my comment on each card.
    1. As per the Quelching Force, it is good... though it is a bit,"cute". You may put it as a warrior weapon altogether and shell out the Wulven extension
    2. On the Green Knight, Human Ally...Please be fair to Boris it makes his ability weaker than this guy, and basically I can have Amber and Boris at the same deck.
    3. On wildfire trap, it is decent, and making Banebow a killing machine
    4. The priest attachment, there is a bit of the technicality on wording. What if I attack on my turn using that attached creature and it died, How can the opponent sacrifice an ally? what if for example, poisoned and died on my turn? We dont make opponent do something on our turn.
    5. VoIG: While it is a good intention for Serena, I think you forgot to consider 1 thing: Black Garb. It would up BG's defense by 2. and it will deteriorate its effectivity, wont you agree?
    Green Knight takes up multiple resources to be able to do its thing, Boris gets it inherently, Amber will have to pay to try to pretend to be Boris.
    Also, VoIG when that card was designed Black Garb was specifically thought of, and one idea we had was to make it give +1 durability rather than defense. But since we are giving a bonus to such a scary cards as AnkleBreaker we did not want to add durability to Black Garb, instead we made it a sort of balance, strengthen the weapons, which include one of the best in the game, and most armors, and weaken a tad a single armor.

I hope I cleared some of this up, thank you for your opinions and feedback :-)
    Currently a finalist in the WULVEN APPRENTICE and will happily take any support I can get from you guys

PFG Member

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quelling Force:

Very expensive for the wipe. Overall has the same high risk high reward but unlike the armours, have nothing to protect it from destruction. And flavour-wise it sounds really weird as a weapon.

The Green Knight:

This card is ridiculously OP. I don't understand how you think this is ok when you have SW as a baseline.

Wildfire Trap:

This feels rather under-powered with Victor. In contrast it's much more useful with Banebow. Missed opportunity to class it as Fire Damage too.

Conviction of Faith:

Super awkward wording. Makes me wonder if you guys have looked at how existing cards are worded.

Value of the Ill Gotten:

Confusing wording again. Is it a permanent gain? Every turn? "All of your weapons"? Why not just "Your weapon"? And the flavour text is horrible, sorry.

Art is ok. Din't like Wildfire Trap's much and Green Knight looks too Shadowy.

I think you guys are seriously disadvantaged with less members and not being in PFG but just looking at the task alone, my vote is clear.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrogene View Post
    Quelling Force:

Very expensive for the wipe. Overall has the same high risk high reward but unlike the armours, have nothing to protect it from destruction. And flavour-wise it sounds really weird as a weapon.

The Green Knight:

This card is ridiculously OP. I don't understand how you think this is ok when you have SW as a baseline.

Wildfire Trap:

This feels rather under-powered with Victor. In contrast it's much more useful with Banebow. Missed opportunity to class it as Fire Damage too.

Conviction of Faith:

Super awkward wording. Makes me wonder if you guys have looked at how existing cards are worded.

Value of the Ill Gotten:

Confusing wording again. Is it a permanent gain? Every turn? "All of your weapons"? Why not just "Your weapon"? And the flavour text is horrible, sorry.

Art is ok. Din't like Wildfire Trap's much and Green Knight looks too Shadowy.

I think you guys are seriously disadvantaged with less members and not being in PFG but just looking at the task alone, my vote is clear.
    Just as an argument point, Captain America uses a shield as a weapon, as does Goofy in Kingdom Hearts, so a shield being a weapon is not unheard of :-)

With Wildfire Trap, you can't see how, with Victor dropping allies to one health, this could seriously help him? And he can keep regetting this card. I believe we purposely didn't make it fire damage so that Furrion Terror could not avoid it.

Value of the Ill Gotten states on the card that the bonuses are only applicable while you have more cards than your opponent, if you have equal or less the bonuses go away, and since it does not say give +1 every turn, its is only gives a +1 total to weapons and armors while you meet the conditions
    Last edited by ShadowRyou; 10-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.

PFG Member