Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost Focus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    SoV didn't fix Portal at all. SoV doesn't help human hunters, warriors, etc. Magic Bullets are terrible game design and I'd hate to see a digital cog go down this road.

The thing to do among the cool kids now seems to be to post 'hey, too many changes' but a week ago everyone was loving the changes threads. Changes make the game stronger, even if they do hit your favourite deck. Buffing useless cards is great, nerfing op stuff is great. Releasing a new batch of cards to combat old broken ones is NOT good game design nor is it interesting. New stuff should be just that - new - not just 'anti mind control card #1' and so on.
    Calmdown * Shadow Era Designer * Logan Stonebreaker & Brutal Minotaur Fan Club

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Already respond to this but Anti-card while I wouldn't say they can't be an interesting way to balance the game are far from the only way to change the balance. Give us an instant speed disenchant in neutral and make MC an enchantment (would make combat much more interesting anyway) and you could have an anti-card that also helps develop the game. The long term solution is a long term vision for the game and quality testing BEFORE sets are released. I still really like the idea of inviting top players to a test server with the newest changes. Maybe give them some "foils" for their efforts. :-D

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmdown View Post
    SoV didn't fix Portal at all. SoV doesn't help human hunters, warriors, etc. Magic Bullets are terrible game design and I'd hate to see a digital cog go down this road.

The thing to do among the cool kids now seems to be to post 'hey, too many changes' but a week ago everyone was loving the changes threads. Changes make the game stronger, even if they do hit your favourite deck. Buffing useless cards is great, nerfing op stuff is great. Releasing a new batch of cards to combat old broken ones is NOT good game design nor is it interesting. New stuff should be just that - new - not just 'anti mind control card #1' and so on.
    I am not against the changes, nor against the nerfing/buffing. I am only suggesting, except of the major bugs like mcing aeon, to wait for the whole first set for making changes.
    "When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story!"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A1: Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmdown View Post
    The thing to do among the cool kids now seems to be to post 'hey, too many changes' but a week ago everyone was loving the changes threads.
    Certainly not what i'm seeing 'from the cool kids'. If anything it is about specific changes not about the amount of them.

Take the Mind control change it doesn't really solve the problem, especially for elementalis decks. The card gives a swing of two allies. I kill one of yours and I get one. Nothing else gives quite that big a swing and with the new change the ally I stole can act instantly.

This change allows the MC'ing player to use the enemy ally before they can react and kill or disable the stolen ally. And after the two turns of use it is likely that the ally will be sacced for life anyway. So players have to choose to spend a round killing the ally or take a second attack from it and see it get sacced for life.

A different change would actually solve the problem. Like requiring the MCing player to sac an ally (and maybe even a non-exhausted ally) to play the card. This would help greatly help with swing in board control. While this restriction is on Energy Discharge, it makes about as much sense balance wise as the proposed MC change does.