Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost Focus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Lost Focus

As the title suggests, i think the focus on the changes is a bit lost. I think that instead of "forcing" the dev team to focus on nerfing and buffing cards, their main focus should be to release the rest of the set.

More cards = more options = more things to counter each ability and ally.

Right now we nerfed portal, next update here comes SoV. It might had been ok to have portal as it were. Calmdown i said it might

We are nerfing more cards now and next update here comes the Rogue class, things will change once again. Why not instead of nerfing, we try focusing on suggesting effects and abilities for the unreleased cards? And with no hard feelings for the weapons and the armors that chosen, but they feel, at least for me, that were out of place with the set of the cards we had. But that is another matter.
    "When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story!"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A1: Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A lot of balancing isn't so much about directly nerfing or buffing but changing the interactions between cards. Something that is seemingly forgotten or not learned with the current 1.25 balance list.

As I talked about in the other thread, changing Aldon to 4 cost and bumping his attack to say 3 base isn't a nerf really him at all. But it indirectly changes the power of Blake and solves what is being incorrectly viewed as a problem with Blakes power.

New cards will certainly change the game, but they won't solve the problems inherent to the cards and their synergy with others. Unless very unelegant brute force counter cards are added.

Edit:
    Or thinking on it a bit more if Blake actually needs a fix, I don't think he does, making a 1/2 that gets +2 attack on your turn. This allows a turn 1 and 2 snake to counter Blake or a hero with a weapon to take him down without taking an absurd amount of damage (probably not the right thread for this)...
    Last edited by Zethal; 04-08-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    +1 to this thread. Long term thinking is necessary if this game is to go anywhere. And I am sad to say but forums are the worst place in the world to find quality long term thinking.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. New cards help balance the game and shift the meta.

There will always be a top deck (elad in 1.23, zal in 1.24) and nerfing them isn't the answer. Making new other powerful cards is.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    +1 to increase card pool first. Balance after if that fails. Not the other way around.
    3.5 "Gravebella Beatdown" || KillTrend's Live Commentary
    A1 Elder
    Ingame Handles: A1 Killtrend

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Right now Eladwen was nerfed, we got Zaladar going on. Next update Zaladar will get nerfed, we will probably get Elementalis or Amber's reign time. There will be an eternal cycle of overpowered decks and strategies till we reach Logan's era of supremacy and we know that mustn't happen

I think that we are a few weapons, abilities and allies sort of filling up the first set. Instead of suggesting changes over the rest pool of cards try suggesting new cards for the sake of what is a shadowish era upon us!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    A1 Manic Brewmaker - Theorycrafter - General Peanut Gallery - Maker of Perfect Nonsense - All Around Stupendous Badass
    My View on Shadow Era, it's meta, and forumites: http://www.shadowera.com/showthread....l-with-it-.-.-.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by theberkin8or View Post
    +1 to this thread. Long term thinking is necessary if this game is to go anywhere. And I am sad to say but forums are the worst place in the world to find quality long term thinking.
    Agree 100%

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Thing is everyone has an opinion and a different one than the next guy.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    It is true that increasing the card pool with well-designed anti-meta cards does regulate the T1 environment. But adding cards involves a lot more work than doing minor card balance changes (e.g. cost). So it is not necessarily an either/or choice. You can have both balance changes and new cards. Last but not least, fixing bugs is a necessary thing and it sometimes creates a stronger environment change than nerfs/buffs such as Portal.

To make it short: I agree we need more cards and that should be a high priority, but I don't see what is the problem with fixing blatantly overpowered cards (or buffing junk such as campfire stories).
    Last edited by BadKarma; 04-09-2011 at 09:35 AM.
    BadKarma - Apathetic Carebear of A1 - Eating your rating since 1923
    Internet discussion 101: use facts, not opinions.
    Opinions are like assholes: everybody has one. That doesn't mean the Internet gives a shit about yours.
    Facts, on the other hand, are the same for everyone. This is why the Internet may listen to you once in a while if you use facts.