Close

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"In combat" question

We has a lot things trigger "when in combat", however, I wasn't sure we understand it correctly. I take following understand that "in combat does not mean same as dealing combat damage, you can in combat but deal other type of damage. In combat means the during the combat resolution process, from entry combat to leave combat.

So, let say I have Violet Thunderstorm with my hero and have, Dagger of Unmaking as my weapon. An opposing ally with 2 or more HP attack me. Since the Violet Thunderstorm trigger on attack, before I defender, then I do 1 damage in combat(suppose that attacker can be damaged) so Dagger of Unmaking should trigger without I defending if it could be trigger.

Is it correct? If so, same rule will apply to other in combat thing? like Soul Seeker , Anklebreak and Pride of the Mountain?

Please explain, thanks.

Edit: Thank for your respond, I will forward this ruling to bug report, because most of those item does not work as you said. I will be happen if you can ask them to review and test on them.
    Last edited by Winners32; 10-14-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Heya,

"Damage in combat" refers to any damage (both ability damage and combat damage) that occurs during step 1 to the end of step 5 of combat (the combat steps can be found in page 15 of the rulebook. "Combat damage" refers to damage caused by the attack of an ally or weapon (depicted on the card as a sword icon, claw icon, bow icon, etc.).

To answer your question, Violet Thunderstorm can and will trigger Dagger of Unmaking if an opposing ally attacks you and is damaged by it. This is because Dagger of Unmaking only requires an opposing ally to be dealt non-lethal damage in combat; it does not require combat damage to be dealt.

Yes, other "in combat" effects such as Pride of the Mountain will work the same way. For example, if you kill an opposing ally with the ability damage caused by Sacred Fire Walker in combat you will draw a card from Pride of the Mountain's ability.

Hope that helps
    Proud member of the Shadow Era Design Team
    Love and Peace!
    Former Physical World Champion
    Card Advantage 101