Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Transference and the change

I quite like this change as it still seems to work in a deck from the Elemental point of view while not reducing opponents hand.

I am not sure if it will stop people complaining though. The proposed change denies the opponent from being able to make a tactical decision on what to keep in their hand if they suspect a transference is coming, it denies them knowing what was taken until it is played (or they may never know if it was sacrificed) and allows the Elemental player access to cards they may not usually get- for instance blood frenzy is often played and multiples sacrificed, so the chances of taking from a hand are slim.
    Must insert something witty here

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Yup...I like it. It is still useful to the Elemental, still painful to the opponent, but not crushing like it was. Different for sure, and less powerful.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    meh.... I think it is lame everything is getting nerfed. I'd rather see good things be introduced for other decks than good cards getting whacked.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tk5 View Post
    it denies them knowing what was taken until it is played
    Actually, the card taken is visible, but in a low-key way.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by tk5 View Post
    I quite like this change as it still seems to work in a deck from the Elemental point of view while not reducing opponents hand.

I am not sure if it will stop people complaining though. The proposed change denies the opponent from being able to make a tactical decision on what to keep in their hand if they suspect a transference is coming, it denies them knowing what was taken until it is played (or they may never know if it was sacrificed) and allows the Elemental player access to cards they may not usually get- for instance blood frenzy is often played and multiples sacrificed, so the chances of taking from a hand are slim.
    +1 to this. Needs a different fix than how it currently works on the test server.
    Purveyor of Probability - Team A1 - How the rating system works and why high ratings act strangely
    I now play only unrated matches in the Shadow Era 40 Card Ladder at shadowera dot gondorian dot com slash ladder40
    If my IRC nick says shannong|L40 that means I'm open for a Ladder40 challenge. I'll take all comers no matter where you are on the ladder

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Changing "take a card from opponent's hand" to "draw a card from opponent's deck" takes Transference from "top tier awesome" to "garbage tier almost unplayable". Might be OK vs Hunters if Careful Planning gets buffed to be playable, but otherwise...:/

To be clear, it was probably a bit too strong before, but the new version is way too weak.
    Constructed deck power level should not be a consideration when setting the rarity of a card.
    Frustrated by the lack of in-game chat? Talkinate! http://talkinator.com/t8r.jsp?b=ShadowEra

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    I think it'll be helpful to see how it generally plays on the test server. I think it's too early to call it underpowered. Certainly not the powerhouse it was, but honestly its gotten quite tiring to constantly see it. That mechanic going away opens up a vast number of deck possibilities that previously were not playable because they'd consistently be destroyed by this one single card.

I still see a few possibilities for it in niche decks that could use it to great effect. I think what we see here is the removal of the card from an auto-add x4 for every elemental deck to a "used in some elemental decks for a specific purpose/theme", which in my mind what every single card in the game should be.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You're probably right fry, but at the same time changing the opponents deck from a quantifiable object to an unquantifiable one has advantages all of its own, and changing the possible plays for your own deck does too. I don't think it's garbage tier at all, I think it's an interesting card that brings an unusual element to the game. Although I think playing your opponents card is inherently a bad idea, Kyle is clearly set on keeping this element of the game and so we have to embrace it and hope that ways of balancing it work. If it turns out that this version sucks...then it can be rebalanced again.
    Calmdown * Shadow Era Designer * Logan Stonebreaker & Brutal Minotaur Fan Club

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    At this point in time the card pool is not big enough to abuse the card. Perhapes in the future there will be a niche for it but as it stands I wouldn't pay three resources to even draw a card from my deck one time let alone my opponents.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I think the main problem with how it's proposed to work at this timestamp is simple:

In other card games like MtG, when an opponent uses an ability that draws a random (or targeted) card from your deck, both players get to SEE what the card was. Right now, the client UI does not enable both players to SEE the card that Transferrence nabbed from the other deck. This is inherently unfair and way too powerful of a disruption, because so many tactical decisions rely on knowing what's still in your own deck.

If you keep Transferrence working the way it is right now, you MUST modify the UI to display the card that is taken by it. To both players. Requiring a tap by both players before continuing the turn.
    Purveyor of Probability - Team A1 - How the rating system works and why high ratings act strangely
    I now play only unrated matches in the Shadow Era 40 Card Ladder at shadowera dot gondorian dot com slash ladder40
    If my IRC nick says shannong|L40 that means I'm open for a Ladder40 challenge. I'll take all comers no matter where you are on the ladder