Close

Hybrid View

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

The Archmage deck "reworked"

Hi all guys! I posted time ago a solo Nishaven deck. I really like this play-style so want know what do you think about,

and eventually how it can be empowered :P! Got around 250 rating with this, but sometimes i fail badly...

Aniway

Nishaven x1

Fireball x4

Poison Gas x2

Lightning Strike x4

Engulfing Flames x2

Tome of Knowledge x4

Supernova x2

Clinging Webs x3

Retreat! x2

Sever Ties x1

Ley Line Nexus x1

Voice of Winter x2

Arcane Burst x2

Voltar's Ring x3

Crescendo x2 (think is more helpful then Snow Sapphire)

Static Shock x4

Thoughtful Investment x3

Tell me what do you think, in particular help me improve this deck!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Bump!!!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Lessee...

-Far too little draw. 4x Tomes aren't gonna get you through every match. Personally, I'm a fan of Aldmor Conduit in Nish decks: it acts a good SE sink when your facing someone with few allies, and generally they need their SE more for their ability than for draw.
    -In place of Clinging Webs and/or Retreat, I'd suggest considering Consuming Fear, especially since it's more permanent than the former two. Also insanely useful for Nish when faced with Sandworms.
    -I'd bump Nexus up to 2x, you never know when someone will get that copy of Spelleater Bands they need.
    -Voice should be 3x minimum, it's too good an ally-staller for a solo mage to pass up. Another weapon option to consider is Dagger of Unmaking.
    -Arcane Burst seems redundant alongside both Supernova and Nish's ability. I'd dump these.
    -Crescendo is terrible for Nishaven; he's already got more field-wiping ability than he knows what to do with. Stick with Sapphire, especially since it'll help against those pesky weapon-based Amber, Gwen, and Darkclaw decks.
    -Thoughtful Investment is... meh. I'd replace these with extra draw (which can then be sacced for more resources), but I haven't used it much myself, so it could be amazing.
    -One last option to consider is possibly adding a few Artful Squires, for those times when you need to blow up an opposing Tome, Wrath, Wizent's, or whatever else.

Hope this helps.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Thank you these are nice tips!

So let's see like this

Nishaven x1

Fireball x4

Poison Gas x2

Lightning Strike x4

Engulfing Flames x2

Tome of Knowledge x4

Supernova x2

Consuming Fear x3

Retreat! x2

Sever Ties x1

Ley Line Nexus x2

Voice of Winter x3

Voltar's Ring x3

Snow Sapphire x2

Static Shock x4

Thoughtful Investment x3 *

Artful Squire x2

*I'm not too much sure to replace with x3 Aldmor Conduit so let's think about pros and cons

T.I.
    -pros: playing with this deck i seen that i need fast to get 5 or more resource to be more effective. I think jumping from 3 resources to 5 and maybe in a

early Super Nova can be really good. More resources mean you can do more things in a turn like Poison Gas + Tome of Knowledge, Voltar's Ring + Retreat ecc.

-cons: if you draw this card when you already have 5+ resources can be useless.

A.C.

-pros More draw is important when you play without allies.

-cons Also your enemy can draw. You consume shadow energy and Nishaven's ability needs a lot of it, so i think can be a problem...

Let me know what do you think :P!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    While I've seen Aldmor Conduit used well in a small handful of decks, an allyless Nish is a poor choice, I think. Reason? Most Shadow Abilities are geared towards taking back the board (a.k.a. ally control effects). If you have no allies in your deck, then what does your opponent really need to have their Shadow Energy for? It becomes as much a card-draw tool for them than you, if not more; chances are, YOU will still need your Shadow Energy to deal with your opponents - they, not so much yours.

All of this said, ally-less Nish is a fun-ish concept at sub-200 rating, but beyond that, unless you have a very well-tuned deck and are very proficient in both playing it, as well as a strong grasp on the meta, you won't win consistently with it past said 200 mark. Usually, you're going to face decks with lots of allies, and ally-less Nish just can't dole out the damage to both the board AND the hero to get the wins.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    For all things there are pros and cons... For exemple some of enemy cards like Crippling Blow, Mind Control ecc. will be useless. With the new cards solo

Nishaven can work, i got 250+ but aniway i'm not here to say why play this deck. Thanks for the tip about Aldmor Conduit i will probably add some Bad

Santa to draw or in case some suicide Oracle :P... Always open to suggestions!
    Last edited by Foxita; 10-09-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Santa can be okay in this sort of deck, but it can be tough to use effectively as you don't play with enough lower-cost cards to keep your hand size below your opponent's - often leaving to Santa being more beneficial to them than you.

Secondly, about TO in Nish. I tried it for a while as the only ally in my "ally-less" Nish. What I found out is that you're paying (4) for a 2/2 ally that's going to net you a card gain of 1, if you're thinking of it in terms of an ally that you can play and then "safely" blow up the board. In the end, very low damage output for a minor card gain, at cost (4). Not that TO isn't a great card; just not in this kind of deck.
    -Doctor of Philosophy, A1 Alliance - Evolution in theory
    Original designer of the Serena Superdraw® archetype; connoisseur of all things un-meta

Santa Bomb ©2011, Lamb Slam & Feedbomb ©2012 - All rights reserved

Zaladar - ZTC 3.0: The Feedbomb Dynamo <-- An iconic deck in Shadow Era history - SE v1.5

Listen to past episodes of State of the Era: a dialogue on all things Shadow Era, brought to you by Alliance One

We are all one mind, capable of all imagined, and all conceivable.