Close

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lore Questions!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Aldmor is mentioned in the flavour text of a few cards... Antimatter's makes me think of an ancient empire. Kind of thing where you would find old ruins around the world.

Had a question but lost it. Anyways, I love the lore information that you guys have out. I'm feeling like I've missed some stuff since I don't know some of the things others are talking about, so I am now hunting through the lore forums and reading absolutely everything...
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

IGN: AP Flamebringer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey Shadow Erites! You guys have asked some absolutely amazing questions here. Many sent me back to my notes and those secretive 'internal documents' to find how much could be answered today, how much in the near future, and how much are meant to be questions you keep asking for months to come! That said, obviously I can only answer some questions today, but everything here will be revealed in time. Also, if an answer seems obscure or deflective, assume I'm giving hints for future releases!

Quote Originally Posted by aNIMaL View Post
    How old is Majiya? (Generally, not specific. Thousands, hundreds, 20s, etc)
    In Orem, all knowledge is supreme importance, including dates of birth. As such, her age is a closely guarded secret from most. All I can say is elves are unusually shortlived due to their internal politics resulting in an unusually high number of murders and suicides.

What is the relationship between Majiya & Gravebone--enemies (as Preybird's fanfiction suggests), or allies/master-and-student?
    While they do work for the same faction, I would hesitate to call many among the Shadows 'friends'.

Is Wendith a mercenary open to fighting for the Shadows, as her class suggests?
    All class allies are able and willing to fight for either faction without restriction. However, their motivations vary. Where one might be a mercenary, the other might simply be trying to serve their own best interests, or preserve a section of land they hold more dear than any other allegiance.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnarb View Post
    We have the Rosecult sisters, Loest is the adoptive son of Wizent, Gunther and Nishaven were part of King's Rothem, etc, etc ... What are the others relationships you guys come up with? Knowing if 2 characters are friends or enemies is good enough for me =)
    Balor is a living, breathing world. There are thousands of relationships: be they friendships, family ties, or more romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnarb View Post
    Who is Kelvin, Voltar, Izikus, Grundler and Madelain?
    Each is an important figure from history, be it real or fictitious. Kelvin, for instance, was a scholar at the College of Ishbond in Lyth. Grundler, though, is from an ancient Orem fairy tale and nursery poem.

Quote Originally Posted by plo View Post
    Could you reveal some of the politics between the Nations?
    Could you describe more the cultures of the different nations? And how do they relate to their environment and political past?
    Could you describe in detail the geography of Balor? What are the metals, species, soil and terrain you find in each continent? Why do we find them where they are? And how does that influence the army, buildings, cultures each nation has?
    If you look through each of the Characters in Profile, you start to receive a feel for the politics, cultures, and concepts behind each nation. More will be revealed over time, but there's far too much for a single posting. That said, some will be revealed on this week's Twitch.TV Stream alongside the map!

How does the Hand of the King influence the world and what are their motivations?
    As described HERE they King's Hand influence the world with the tip of a dagger. Their motivations, as the name suggests, are those of the King of Vozti himself!

Does Layar has any particular strategy to keep it's supremacy?
    Before or after the current war?
    Previous to the opening of the Shadow Gates, King Rothem was having a new fortress built atop of Mount Balor to remind everyone of how grand Layar was. It would also be easily defensible, given the height, and would thus have made a perfect military outpost to stage any future battles.
    Since the start of the war, their throne is empty, many of their strongholds now belong to the Shadow, and their military is fused with that of the greater Human Armies.

About the Priests, do their powers come from god or is are they just psychological?
    One of my largest pet peeves with fantasy authors is answering this question. Faith and religion are personal things, things that only the person who holds them can 'know'. Not knowing for a fact that any of the gods of Balor actually exist, whether they're helping or hindering the humans, how such powers come to be... isn't figuring that out for yourself the point of it all?

That said, there is an answer. As with the real world, there is a truth, but its revelation might be different to each person who sees it.

With regards to the other worlds, are they just formed out of nowhere? Or did they all exist ever since the beginning of the universe?
    Every world in Shadow Era has a history, a society, and a culture all of its own. Some even predate the nations of Balor!

Quote Originally Posted by Warr Byrd View Post
    How did the minotaurs become slaves of the Wulven?
    As with most instances, a war was fought and lost. For anything more specific, you'll need to wait for the reveal!

When will the dragons, or at least bigger snakes, come from Rackack?
    Dragons are beings of mystery and powerful magic. Since magic never existed on Rackack, it is doubtful that IF dragons appear in Shadow Era they would come from Rackack. As for more snakes in general, creatures are always making their way through the Gates, so some are always likely to become more apparent.

What kind of creatures come from Emore, if not the Fire Snake? I had assumed the Elementals at one point, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
    Emore is the 'World of Flames'. Creatures born there tend to be made of magma or fire itself; an inverse to humanity being so heavily comprised of water. Molten Destroyer, Hellsteed, and Furrion Terror all call this place home.

How is the Man of Shadows able to keep the Shadow forces from fighting amongst each other?
    The Man of Shadows is very talented at offering exactly what each sub-faction needs. For the Undead it was the promise of greater magics. For the Minotaur it was freedom. By offering these factions and individuals each what they need, he keeps enough leverage over them to keep discipline.

And about the alternative card art. Which artwork is the official appearance of each hero? The CotC or DP? Or both of them? And do you plan to explain the change of appearance of each hero?
    Art is meant to be the artist's rendition of how these heroes appear. Much like any portrait, there are differences between each as the artist might see them differently. Neither is wrong.

What is Aldmor?
    Quote Originally Posted by jackabox View Post
    Where did scourge colossus come from? There's abit about karlstard but not scourge would be an interesting read
    Why do both Human and Shadow have access to the Homunculi tribe?
    Who are the Twilight?
    More Tribes in Focus, and Characters in Profile are on the way for just those questions!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If an elf were to somehow avoid falling victim to murder or suicide, how long could it expect to live before dying of old age? In a similar vein, how short is "short lived?" If they had a natural life span of thousands of years, living for only one hundred would still be considered short-lived for them, but seem like a long time for other races.

The Undead of Schueth, were the born living, died, and then resurrected, or did they just come into being as undead? Are all residents of Schueth Undead?

Are there any Shadow Gates between Shadow worlds, or do all Gates have one of their termini in Balor?

Have we seen any creatures from the Elemental world that are not Elemental class allies?
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Love it.
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If an elf were to somehow avoid falling victim to murder or suicide, how long could it expect to live before dying of old age? In a similar vein, how short is "short lived?" If they had a natural life span of thousands of years, living for only one hundred would still be considered short-lived for them, but seem like a long time for other races.
    I'd be careful using the word 'elf' so casually, else you might find why they're so short lived. In reality, the word is sort of a slam on them, since they pass a resemblance to the figures from fantasy stories even on Balor!
    As for their lives, with no magic they live as long as any other race; a long-lived denizen of Orem MIGHT make it to 100 years before age got her.

The Undead of Schueth, were the born living, died, and then resurrected, or did they just come into being as undead?
    According to CiP #6, the Undead made themselves that way by sacrificing lives to grant themselves a version of immortality!

Are all residents of Schueth Undead?
    Those that refused the 'gift' of immortality were either killed outright, or sacrificed by ritual to grant it onto others. There are no known survivors.

Are there any Shadow Gates between Shadow worlds, or do all Gates have one of their termini in Balor?
    All Shadow Gates connect directly to Balor. No one really understands the phenomenon!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hey, you never answered my question about Fire Snake!
    No animals were harmed in the making of this sig... I tried, but that damn monkey was way too fast.

IGN: Disturbed Animal

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here's a question.

So I've been looking at the map of Balor, and I noticed that in Gaderi one of the cities is called Braxno. This is where I'd assume the Braxnorian cards come from, like Soldier and Veteran. However there's also the card Gaderi Barbarian, which made me wonder, is there any difference between cards with just Gaderi in the name and those with Braxnorian? Is Braxno a particularly important region of Gaderi to have particular cards named specifically for it?
    "IT'S TIME TO DUEL!!!"
    "The Magnificent."
    Account for any future SC transfers by Gondorian: BP tman507

Member of PFG3
    Master of Hand-to-hand Combat
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

Official Shadow Era Wiki Moderator

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This one may not have any relevance whatsoever, but I'll ask it anyway:
    Are there any beings in Balor who are capable of shapeshifting?
    No animals were harmed in the making of this sig... I tried, but that damn monkey was way too fast.

IGN: Disturbed Animal

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As a general question, are you planning on doing more Tribes in Focus (and characters in focus) and if so when should we expect to see them? I quite liked those articles. Sounds like tribes are taking a larger role in the next expansion.

Trying to think of the different tribes that are already in-game - are they based all on the tags beside ally type? (I guess that's more of a design question)
    Based on that I see Undead, Templars, Wulven, Twilight, Templar, Homunculus, Ravager and Yari.

Why would the Yari fight for either side, but only for warriors of those sides?

Where do the Marshland Sentinels come from, and is there a reason why they fight for the humans?

What exactly is Nightshade? Human?

Is the Crystal Titan from the same world as the Elementals? It looks a little different than other elemental allies, a bit more solid - Is it also energy/crystal possessed by elemental energy?

Are any of the weapons/armours in the game related to lore? Would things like the Wand of Izikus be unique, or maybe just items named after their inventors?
    Proud Member of Alpha Predator
    Brotherhood. Honor. Glory.

I may set you on fire. It's not personal, I just like fire.

IGN: AP Flamebringer

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    This one may not have any relevance whatsoever, but I'll ask it anyway:
    Are there any beings in Balor who are capable of shapeshifting?
    Yes. Carmila.

Quote Originally Posted by NachyoChez View Post
    In Orem, all knowledge is supreme importance, including dates of birth. As such, her (Majiya's) age is a closely guarded secret from most.
    Just like all women
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!