Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Question Mind control too strong?

Hi everyone,

Full disclosure: I'm relatively new to this game and I'm okay at the game so far, but not great. I'm still building all of my decks and my online ranking usually sits around 170 right now. Average.

Anyways, whether I'm on the receiving end of Mind Control or I'm using it myself it always feels way too good. Whenever I load my deck up with 4 mind controls. I always crack a little smirk whenever I get one in my hand because I can take out any enemy from the game and have it cause moderate-to-severe damage to their hero, for only 5 energy. It's so strong, it's silly. When you know you're playing someone who has 4 Mind Controls in their deck, you just feel stupid. Granted I've beaten plenty of people who use my control, but my bullshit detector always kicks in whenever its cast.

Anyways, I know I'm a newbie, but I was just curious as to how other people thought about this card.

Thanks!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Mind Control is a good card but no it is not overpowered, especially if you are facing against a lot of smaller cost allies or solo hero decks.
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I still stay to my statement that it's an overcosted kill spell.

If there was a kill spell that costed 4 but didn't force the ally to attack, I would probably abandon Mind Control on the spot (or run both and cut Mind Controls if I didn't need that many).

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome to the forums!

You are not the first new player to be concerned with this card, and I doubt you'll be the last. But it's not overpowered. As Peithoson pointed out, it's worthless against rush and solo deck builds. Even with more mid to late game decks, decks that do run big allies, Mind Control is manageable for several reasons. First off, most decks can only play it a maximum of four times. So, you play four allies, they all get Mind Controlled, your fifth ally is safe. Second, since Elementals tend to have weak draw, they tend to have a low resource count even in the late game, so Mind Control tends to be the only thing the Elemental can play, maybe a cheap ally on the side. Third, the damage from Mind Control can be offset or limited by playing multiple weak allies or by playing allies with on-summon effects, so that they do something before they are killed. Finally, if worse comes to worse, it is always possible to bait an Elemental player into playing a Mind Control to take out a big ally, and then playing a bigger ally right afterwards before the Elemental has drawn a replacement.

So no, Mind Control is not OP.
    Congratulations to Preybird for designing my Avatar!

In Game Handle: Warr Byrd

Contributions to the Game:
    Flavor text for Wild Berserker: The odds are always in my favor
    PFG3: To Be Released Soon™

Tournament Wins: None, I'm Timmy Johnny not Spike!

Shout out to Gondorian, nerull7, Nikola D, plo, Preybird, Super Grover, and Zhou86 for submitting potential avatars!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Welcome to the forums

Hmm, Warr Byrd basically said it.

Just one thing in general about all these kind of threads: You always have to see the whole card pool of a class. People often call things overpowered because of a specific strong effect, without considering the weaknesses of that class. Some classes need special tools to compensate the things they can't do well. There were threads like this about cards like Tidal Wave, Supernova, Blood Frenzy etc. too, and people just didn't see the card pool around. So, definitely not OP.
    Heimdall, Guardian of Asgard
    Warrior of the Blue Phoenix
    Greatness, Reborn

IGN: BP Heimdall

Helpful links :: Deck builder :: IRC Channel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I would rather play an opponent with 4 mind controls than 2 Supernovas or Tidal Waves.

It's a strong card, but, I don't usually find it to be a game changer. It's a 1 for 1 card usually with a steep casting cost. You wont usually be able to take out a creature that cost more resources to cast than Mind Control.

Don't get me wrong, it's strong. I've been Mind Controlled to death a time or two. It's just not a game changer. The thing I like best about it is teh bonus durability loss you can get out of it at times.

Woudn't be in the top 20 cards I'd look to Nerf myself. In fact, I can't think of an elemental card on that list.
    Last edited by Wes Davis; 10-03-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    I still stay to my statement that it's an overcosted kill spell.

If there was a kill spell that costed 4 but didn't force the ally to attack, I would probably abandon Mind Control on the spot (or run both and cut Mind Controls if I didn't need that many).
    I think that's an oversimplification. It's not only a removal, it's a direct damage too, relieving the user of having to find other ways of dealing damage. If you use 3 Mind Controls against an unarmored opponent each game that is most likely a minimal (considering you will probably save them for attack 3 and above allies) of 9 damage. Not to mention simply using ONE will provide protection to your own hero and allies because people will be hesitant to play a big fatty even if the timing would seem right otherwise. There is no way to justify not bringing Mind Control in this current game.

It's not OP tho =p

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    wow, thanks for all of the responses guys! great community it seems!
    Knowledge = dropped

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    It used to better....I never pack four anymore

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Everything has pretty much been said, but I'll add that MC is very good when you're ahead, it's averge when trying to buy time, but it's very expansive when you don't have board control.

You should still expect 99% of Elemental decks to run 4.
    FDL TV!

Channel | Thread | Twitter
    Deck Techs, Game Commentary, Replay Analysis and more!

FDL Tips: The Metagame, Balance and You || Empty Hands
    LL Decklists: Serena || Elementalis