Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lead Developer / Designer Gondorian's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Feedback about Shadow Era, the Card Game?

Hey, so, if (and it's a really big "if") you can ignore issues to do with bugs and features and timescales, what do you think about the card game itself?

Let's do a thought experiment to help you!

Imagine you had two complete playsets of physical SE and a teleporter and a way to automatically track stats and you could just show up wherever you want to play anyone else who wanted to play.

How good is that game? i.e. How good is Shadow Era on a conceptual level?

I care about this because I'm on the Design Team that works on that game. Features and bugs are not part of that game because they are aspects of being a digital game and outside the domain of the DT, who work on the conceptual game which then gets implemented in various formats (digital, physical). So feedback about features and delays is a lot of noise that doesn't really help us on the Design Team of the card game work out what to improve. None of it is relevant to the next set of cards we will design for you!

Note: I reserve the right to move posts that are irrelevant to the aim of this thread, to help the rest of the DT get maximum value from your feedback and also give readers who care about this stuff a similar level of value.

Thanks.

p.s. In the interest of keeping things flowing towards us to then digest, I'm going to hold off responding to specific feedback here.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    So taling about the game itself.
    1. I really like the artstyle of the crads (I know this is a minor point but even a minor point is a point) I played other TCGs digital and physical and they often are too colorful or full of boobs and asses (Yes I know there is Jasmine)
    2. I played with SE with real-life-friends for a short time. They all quit cause of the sacrificing. They prefer the ressources-cards of other TCG. At first I thought like them but then the positive aspects of the sacrificing system came to my mind like I don't have to fill my deck up with ressource cards and can change my tactics by playing some cards and the others not.
    3. I know this is a point where a lot of players will scream. I like it that there are not thousands of thousands of cards. I like it that there aren't as many cards like in other tcgs, cause for me it's no fun to be surprised by played cards of the opponent I don't know the effects.
    4. There is not really a lore, a "tribe-history" or connection between these cards. That doesn't mean there has to be kind of story behind it but maybe add some more cards in the next expansions that fit better together like different members of the same tribe
    Last edited by Irell; 09-24-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    If i ignore the big fails (Delays for everything, updates full of bugs and other bugs that exist since the start of the game)

SE is a great game, cool art, good game mechanics and a cool community. What i like the most is the care about balancing the cards, there is not such card that if you play it, the game is over.

I love this game and even if i stop playing at some point, i know that i'll be back to see whats new.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irell View Post
    So taling about the game itself.
    1. I really like the artstyle of the crads (I know this is a minor point but even a minor point is a point) I played other TCGs digital and physical and they often are too colorful or full of boobs and asses (Yes I know there is Jasmine)
    2. I played with SE with real-life-friends for a short time. They all quit cause of the sacrificing. They prefer the ressources-cards of other TCG. At first I thought like them but then the positive aspects of the sacreficing system came to my mind like I don't have to fill my deck up with ressource cards and can change my tactics by playing some cards and the others not.
    3. I know this is a point where a lot of players will scream. I like it that there are not thousands of thousands of cards. I like it that there aren't as many cards like in other tcgs, cause for me it's no fun to be surprised by played cards of the opponent I don't know the effects.
    4. There is not really a lore, a "tribe-history" or connection between these cards. That doesn't mean there has to be kind of story behind it but maybe add some more cards in the next expansions that fit better together like different members of the same tribe
    This is exactly the type of feedback I meant. Thanks so much.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I love the theory crafting behind this game. I spend more time reading the strategies on the forums than I do actually playing! There is a great plethora of card types and strategies and synergies, and I find myself thinking about it in the car or while I'm supposed to be working.

Not taking the client problems into account, the game itself is awesome! I can't wait to see the next round of cards!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well I have no TCG experience besides SE, so my input in that aspect is limited.I first saw this game on one of First Impressions videos on YouTube. And I think SE lacks that sort of advertisement on social media, and should at least do something more to support people who do Lets Plays with SE. But back on track.What really attracted me initially was card art. I looked to some other TCG and I was put off instantly because of overly cartoonish feel their art gives. And I am constantly comparing them to SE art for standard. After initial nooby "Oooo shiny" phase I started to appreciate strategy aspect of the game, and its chess like nature. And hope that will stay the same and improve with limiting luck and some of more annoying playstyles out there. More diversity would be appreciated which I think will be the case with upcoming releases of new sets. Speaking of which, you really should step up your game regarding new sets. So, yeah, not much info, but I really like the game and would love to see it improving and growing.
    Last edited by Veles; 09-24-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    Retired Card Game Designer

“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments.
    The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”
    ― Nikola Tesla

1.27 Tournament Champion Raphael Majere's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Everyone knows I am a huge fan of the physical game: the base reason is simple. The base game is good.

So what makes me 'me':

1. Someone who has 'some' limited time to play and master a game require some levels of strategy; i.e. has depth.
    2. An ex-mtg player who simply cannot catch up with the 'relatively too fast' non-stop churning out of expansions.
    3. A TCG game that I can play on the go. (Millstalkers totally do not fit into the scheme of 'SE')
    4. Awesome artwork, music and fantasy genre - speaks to the Elvish Fighter-mage within me.

So if anyone is like me, they'll like SE.

I am going to be honest here: The game has huge potential when I first picked it up in March 2011. There was nothing like it. When I saw it in a Apple store; on a Mac Screen; I was like: this is f*cking genius. I saw the name Kyle Poole and imagined him to look like Master Yoda and Gandalf and Bret Hart and Belgareth rolled into one. Sadly, the game did not grow as much as I thought it could. As I mentioned earlier, there was nothing like SE then: but now, everything looks like SE. (and better)
    Last edited by Raphael Majere; 09-24-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Well, there were a few things that drew me to this game when I first saw it.

Relatively cheap cost for a CCG, cool art, playable pvp.

Now there are more things I like:

1- Diverse top-tier metagame due to good balance. There are a handful of the heroes who have made top 100 appearances on the ladder.
    2- World wide play without server restrictions. It is nice to play against people all the way across the world without having to log into a separate server.
    3- Enough depth and complexity for satisfying pvp games. The AI is nice for a quick burn on a break but the pvp is where this game is meant to be played.
    Kicker of puppies, slasher of babies, and primordial Elder Lich.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikola D View Post
    Speaking of which, you really should step up your game regarding new sets.
    (They are coming. But let's try to keep this about SE in a vacuum though. A snapshot of SE in time. That avoids us being bogged down in talk of delays!)

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Ahh I totally agree with Raph and that reminds me of some other important thing for me.
    I like it that the digital game is meant to be free to play (even if I payed a little money for some SC) other tcgs are like pay to power and not pay to play (I hope everybody knows the difference) Like in MTG the player who paid more for his deck will mostly win. In SE (digital) everybody has the chance to get the best cards (maybe this will change with another market-system)
    The DPexpansion added some more depth to the gameplay of some heores. I hope wulven will keep this and will not bring out more powerful cards with every expansion. (more powerful as meant as comparison not as quantity) I've seen it in some other TCGs that every expansion is more powerful than the cards before. It's nice to see some changes in the deck with a new expansion but it's way of unbalanced if they end up like a 15/15 card for cost 6cc