Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by busti View Post
    sure
    Edited it out but eh, sure.

I think the core of most problems in Shadow Era is in it's combat mechanics. The first strike mechanic heavily promotes tempo and the game state can snowball really hard making it impossible to come back unless both players play for tempo, which kills variety. As a result, the game gets a bit boring pretty fast.

There's a bit of variety but most of it is not "you can do many different things" but "you can do the same thing in different ways". The first one is "good" variety and the second one is "bad" variety.

Every deck has to focus on allies, that are good at gaining tempo and board presence which forces practically every ally (Elizabeth is like the only one that isn't) to be good at attacking. This also kills aggro in a sense that every playable ally has to have more health than attack which makes ally attacks tickle more than actually being a thing.

That said, the fact that everything is so ally focused in completely because of there not being any good non-ally things that would allow control play.

All of these things are fixable which is why I played the game for a year-or-so. Most of that time I did look for ways to avoid the things mentioned above and didn't find any. Might be because I'm bad but I don't know.

I also think SE needs a bit more decision making.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by busti View Post
    Duel of champion is not pay to win, BUT, if you don't pay, expect to play a lot before having access to all the cards. I am currently possessing almost all the collection after 1 month and without paying. Neither did a lot of the top player there pay.
    At the start however expect to have a bad card pool, but creating solid decks based on bad card pool is also a challenge, and one i enjoyed a lot.

For what regard the gameplay, i rank DOC as high as shadow era, but i don't have a lot of other tcg to compare it to, I can only say i dislike (a lot) solforge.
    About solforge,

I would stay away from it for now. Right now the game is actually kind of a mess. The only way to earn cards is the 3 dailies you get which will earn you either a card or any of the 3 different boosters plus some silver (the free currency). Which in itself is fine, but you can't earn any silver outside of those methods and you can only spend silver on skins (playmats) and 3 card booster packs that only guarantee 2 commons and a rare (however, its possible to get Heroics or Legendaries from these packs, but its very slim, especially for legendaries). Speaking of rarities, there is Common, Rare, Heroic, and Legendary. Legendary is by far the hardest to come across, and its a bit too rare imo. Anyways, to get Legendaries in your boosters (guaranteed) is to purchase a booster pack that nearly costs $15... and it only promises one.

Anyways, my main point right now is that its not friendly to you unless you pay. Yes it doesn't take too long to get a good deck going (as you dont NEED legendary cards) it is still a pain in the butt to deal with. Especially since atm, you can't do anything with your spares once you go above x3 (the games copy limit per deck). There is supposedly some sort of "alchemy" system and a trade system coming (although there are rumors that cards you get for free can't be traded at all).

Oh and I can't even finish an untimed (aysnc) game with anyone unless its in one sitting. For some reason the game completely losses track of whats happening and starts the game over. iClipse and I have tried a few times and we still haven't finished a single game. So despite the praises the game gets, its still got its own share of problems...... then again, its still technically not done (its in open beta). But yeah, I would wait for those issues to be sorted out unles you just want to log in for diays and slowly build your collection.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Yea. Solforge has a lot of issues. That said, I've received at least 3 different updates from that game in the last 6 weeks. So that means they are actually working on it.

I enjoy the occasional Solforge game. I try to collect my dailies as much as possible, but that's about all I do atm.
    iClipse - A1's Twilight Manipulator - A1 : Evolution in Theory
    Part of PFG

• My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too.

• Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

• With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

• I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

• A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    MTG DOTP 2014!

As for other genres, what platform do you prefer?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by nMer View Post
    MTG DOTP 2014!

As for other genres, what platform do you prefer?
    I do have DotP 2014 and I play a lot of paper magic.

I don't have any consoles so PC it is. Dunno about next gen, the consoles seem so expensive.

I prefer gameplay to story almost always. Story is good and all but I have to be able to play through the game (looking at you Mass Effect 3, I literally ragequit the game because of space bar). Also, more fast paced to slow but I have enjoyed some slower games like the Persona series and for some reason I do not like Final Fantasy as an RPG series (even the "better" ones), random encounters are a stupid mechanic.
    Last edited by Airact; 09-19-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    You might check out Kingdoms. I didn't look at it for a while now. It has single player campaign. Probably pay2win. You have 3 slots on the field where you can put allies and you have a hero similar to SE. You have hero abilities too. You gain mana every turn to cast cards iirc. Art style reminds me of Disney.

There is also Carte. That is definitely pay2win. Lots of cards. You can do stuff on your opponent's turn like blocking spells etc. Some of the art in the cards seemed subpar to me. Carte has raids too and other features that I don't remember right now.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Stupidly I quite enjoy the campaign mode of Order and Chaos Duels, despite the fact it's unbalanced as hell.

It uses positioning of cards as one of it's core mechanics, so your allies can only attack the allies directly opposite (unless they have special rules saying otherwise), so you can essentially choose how you want to defend. The thing is that it takes SE's first strike mechanic and turns it into an "only strike" mechanic, in that the attacker only deals damage, there is no retaliation damage. Great when you've got board, not so good otherwise. The thing is that the health of most allies far outstrips their attack so generally an ally can tank a hit or two.

I wouldn't play Multiplayer because it's so Pay2Win, but the campaign is slick, well polished and massive. Plus even though the AI gets better cards you can overcome it with good play, so it's a challenge and worth sinking your teeth into.
    Extra Tough Claws - Proud Member of ETC

Articles | Decklist | Fan Fiction

Shadow Era Art Thread | PB @ DeviantArt

PFG Member | I've been interviewed!

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    I'd second the MMDOC recommendation.

The strategy is definitely on par with SE, if not even more complex with the addition of events that you need to consider and the fact that you have multiple drop lanes (the rest works pretty much like SE in that you get a hero with a power, creatures and spells).

The cards are slightly harder to get, partly because they have so many that a new player would have to do a bit of grinding to get there. Having said that though, there are so many rewards (best one was when I won my first jackpot tournament and got a free box of boosters!) to help out that I'm fairly sure with a solid month of grinding you can get all the cards you need to build world tournament solid decks (they already have two types of daily tournaments which anyone can just enter from the lobby).

Also, the updates and improvements are skyrocketing along, and not just with card released but also with continuous GUI improvements and feature add ons (friends list, lobby chat, daily rewards and so on).

I'd also recommend solforge as something to get into now as well, simply because he improvements there are going to come quite fast as well and in no time at all it will be right up there in terms of card games. Also, the system they have at the moment, while not ideal, is certainly better than grinding SE or MMDOC, as you basically get 2-3 boosters a day just from logging on and playing a few games (log on award is usually silver + a booster pack of some sort, 1st win award is usually the same, and 3rd win award also the same). I initially thought it was a bad way of doing it, but just from logging on and doing not much else I've been able to collect a surprising amount of cards (which when they fix everything up will leave me in a good position)
    Resident dealer of Dead Man's hand of A1: Evolution in Theory

Check out www.a1-alliance.org to find out all about us, and Ask A1! Also now out, Project Omega, a full shadowera Wiki + exclusive strategy guides!

Click for my Beginners Guide to Shadow Era Heroes

Siege on A1 - the toughest challenge yet. Have you got what it takes? Over 17,000 crystals up for grabs!

Recent accolades:
    TJ Gauntlet Finalist!
    PFG Tournament Winner
    PFG 1 & 2 member
    Crown 14 RU
    Guild Wars #1 winners

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldazar View Post
    As a (former) Shadow Era player (I still check the forum nearly every day, but have not played in a LONG time) and a current Duels of Champions player (have been playing it since the closen beta) I can say that DoC is worth playing and that indeed the gameplay/strategy involved is at least as high lvl as Shadow Era, with a big plus that they actualy update often (3th expansion coming out very soon, and the game is like only 1 year old now..) and they actualy also balance old cards when necessary (no phisical edition of the game).

The game is certainly not Pay to Win, but if you want to be top on ranking you will need to OR play a lot or pay.. but it's certainly possible to build competitive decks without ever paying (before the second expansion I had never payed and I had enough of all cards to make any deck I wanted, when second expansion came out I actualy payed a little but that was because I had a lot less time to play and didn't mind supporting the game a little.)

Anyway, I hope it helps a little.
    Long time, no see.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Here you can find some better info/review on Kingdoms by me as well as other card games from other players too:

http://forum.shadowera.net/index.php?board=38.0