Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Any card games you would recommend?

I think many of you notice why I'm posting this thread (reasons I won't link so if you don't know, it's easy to search up). In short, the action hasn't really started to pick up here so while I wait for said action to pick up, I want something else to play. This thread is for you guys to hopefully recommend me some cool card games (and other games, why not, I'm not racist towards gaming genres) and maybe convince me to start playing some I will be mentioning below.

I don't have educated opinions on most of the games I mention below so take these opinions with a lot of spices...

...and sauce. I mention some games because the goal is to have a discussion and not a bunch of one-liners containing a game name. If you want to troll, at least be decent at it, please.

You could suggest for me to just play all of them but well, Heartstone is in beta, I have no idea what Hex is doing and I'm afraid Scrolls is going to cost money before I can make a reliable first impression (like almost every card game ever so it's fine).

Heartstone

The newcomer (if you can even say that). People all over the internets and some pretty popular people on Youtube and even here see this game as some kind of messiah of card games. I fail to see why. I haven't played the game (which is why I said "take these with spices and sauce") and while the interface seems good, the gameplay feels a bit lacking. I don't see that much decision making going on and I fail to see why the game is so exciting to some.

I'm really curious to know so don't be afraid to throw a wall-of-text at me.

Hex

The Magic 2.0 (or something like that). This game also sees some hype and I kinda do get why as it seems a lot like Magic: the Gathering. For me, a bit too much like Magic: the Gathering as it's the one card game I actively play right now. I don't fault it for anything but I don't know enough to differentiate it from being really similar to Magic.

Scrolls

The card-game/board-game hybrid. I have never really been a fan of these but that only means I haven't found a good one yet (this is saying when I haven't tried Scrolls). It seems to me like it heavily shot itself in the foot by not having colorless "mana" making splashing and using multi-faction decks really tough (resulting in less variety). I don't know enough to make anything out of Scrolls.

Nothing else really comes to my mind right now. I have to say that apart from good gameplay, the community has to be good.

The community put me off both DotA and LoL so it's quite a big deal as I like both games but I hate playing both games because there are always people who just can't have fun. There always are some fucking retarded individuals who think winning = fun and losing = not fun. The funniest part about that is that I can't actually fault them, some of you know why.

I'm also thinking about starting to play Poker but I can't quite figure out a good starting point.

...Stuff. I'm a bit under the weather so hopefully this made some sense.
    Last edited by Airact; 09-19-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by cycle View Post
    as a request i'd like someone knowing shadow era (and that's why i ask here), to write a few sentences about might and magic duels of champions. is it pay2win? (like that order and chaos duels crap for example).
    I'm not an expert on it, but I will say its really grindy if you don't want to pay anything. You'll probably get a booster box and maybe a stater deck from the achievement system, but then it seems to slow down a lot depending on how much time you put into the game. I stopped playing because I saw no progress (and the game is kinda boring imo). The thing that really got me though, was that the deck building system works like a physical card game. If I want to use X in another deck, I have to take it out of the old one first.

But a lot of A1 members will swear by the game, so maybe they will have more info for you. That was my experience with it.
    Was the Leader of Acolytes of A1

A1's Dimensional Eyes in the Sky
    A1 Alliance: Evolution in Theory
    PFG3 Leader

Was Shadow Era Community Manager

Sota, The Switch Axe Monster Hunter

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
    "Humans fight to secure peace as they envision it. The trouble is, everyone's vision is different." - Ringabel

CotC Sealed Deck Champion busti's Avatar
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Duel of champion is not pay to win, BUT, if you don't pay, expect to play a lot before having access to all the cards. I am currently possessing almost all the collection after 1 month and without paying. Neither did a lot of the top player there pay.
    At the start however expect to have a bad card pool, but creating solid decks based on bad card pool is also a challenge, and one i enjoyed a lot.

For what regard the gameplay, i rank DOC as high as shadow era, but i don't have a lot of other tcg to compare it to, I can only say i dislike (a lot) solforge.
    Last edited by busti; 09-19-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    A1 alliance - Evolution in theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by busti View Post
    For what regard the gameplay, i rank DOC as high as shadow era
    Right now that's not a recommendation lol

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by Airact View Post
    Right now that's not a recommendation lol
    You mean you play over a year a game which you don't like the gameplay?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Hearts
    "I'll have you know I have the reflexes of a cat, and the speed of a mongoose"

LEGEND of TEAM JUGGERNAUTS

Recent accolades: season 5, finalist (top 8). UK streetfigher, Conquerors Bane runner-up.
    Immortalised as Flavour Winner for "Smoke Screen". Conceal, Confuse, and Obscure.

Link to irc: http://shadowera.gondorian.com/gamechat/

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries
    solitaire?
    “Let’s show Kira…that the good guys always win.”
    The L of A1 - Evolution in Theory

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Quote Originally Posted by busti View Post
    You mean you play over a year a game which you don't like the gameplay?
    It's good but I meant more like considering the current situation. I have to say it's not my favorite ccg gameplay but it can get good.
    Last edited by Airact; 09-19-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    sure

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    As a (former) Shadow Era player (I still check the forum nearly every day, but have not played in a LONG time) and a current Duels of Champions player (have been playing it since the closen beta) I can say that DoC is worth playing and that indeed the gameplay/strategy involved is at least as high lvl as Shadow Era, with a big plus that they actualy update often (3th expansion coming out very soon, and the game is like only 1 year old now..) and they actualy also balance old cards when necessary (no phisical edition of the game).

The game is certainly not Pay to Win, but if you want to be top on ranking you will need to OR play a lot or pay.. but it's certainly possible to build competitive decks without ever paying (before the second expansion I had never payed and I had enough of all cards to make any deck I wanted, when second expansion came out I actualy payed a little but that was because I had a lot less time to play and didn't mind supporting the game a little.)

Anyway, I hope it helps a little.
    Member of E2E.

“Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous.”
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    “God did not create evil. Just as darkness is the absence of light, evil is the absence of God.”
    “I want to know God's thoughts - the rest are mere details.”
    “Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”

- by Albert Einstein